Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I am driving my GT at a TMR open track on Oct 27 Friday at Thunderhill, the track where "The One" GT commercial was filmed. I am inviting anyone interested to come out to drive their GT also. Or just come out & you're welcome to be a passenger in my GT. I hope to have my Penske shocks on by then. I'm going to finish off the OEM Goodyears at this event & run the Hossiers for next year's open tracks.

www.trackmasters-racing.com

I may opt to stay for the NorCal Shelby Club's Fall Classic on Oct 28-29 Sat & Sun at Thunderhill. The Shelby Club will let anyone drive their car on the track at the lunch time "parade" laps. If you want to drive on the track (under 70 mph) for free with very little chance of mishap this is your chance.

www.norcal-saac.org

Ed

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
I may go...a friend of mine with a blue modified Viper and his friend in a Carrera are pushing me to go...I hope I can make it. Is pre registration mandatory or can we register at the gate?

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Ed Sims said:
I am driving my GT at a TMR open track on Oct 27 Friday at Thunderhill, the track where "The One" GT commercial was filmed. Ed

I wish I could join you. Great track! I'd be interested to see your track notes after you've done your laps if you're willing to share them, esp. what gears you're in for each corner and approx. speeds esp. at the end of the straight. I spoke to Rod Millen who drove the car for the commercial filming and he told me that when on a hot lap he was maxxed out in 3rd gear usually at the end of the straight and just nudging into 4th, doing about 140 MPH. FYI I posted some of this at http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2854&page=2&pp=10&highlight=Thunderhill

p.s. Ed thanks again for the sticker

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Thunderhill Oct 27

Cannibal - You can only pre-register for TMR. I'm not sure for the Shelby Club. The websites have more info. I hope you can go!

Red Rocket - I've driven my GT at T-hill once already. I like the track much better than Sears Point or Laguna. I use only 2nd & 3rd gear usually. My speedo almost touched 140 every lap going into turn 14 & turn 1. I also did a few sessions with no shifting. I kept it in 3rd the whole way to see what it was like. Since it is a torque monster it worked out well. Less wheel spin & more time to sight see! I hope to see you at a future open track.

Ed "The GT Was Made For The Track!" Sims

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
thanks Big Ed, those are fast speeds indeed! A bit more info please. What gear are you in as you approach turn 9 and do you shift down or just tap the brakes? Also, what brake marker are you using for 14 and what gear are you using as you take 14 and 15? One more thing, what tire pressures are you running front and rear? Thanks

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
I would love taking a GT out on T-hill. What tires were you on? Laptimes? Did you "get on it?" I raced this season in NorCal and love that track.

I'm in the process of getting the gtx1 conversion and won't be getting to track it there in any event. Maybe I should get another.....

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
Ed,
Tom Piana from Infineon.. Videos in yet? For T-Hill 10/27, what would I need to be able to run? Equipment, experience etc.? Cost?
Thanks,
Tom

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
T-hill Oct 27

Update - I will be there on Friday Oct 27 to open track my GT. The Penske shocks from T&A will not be ready this month so I'll be using the stockers. I won't be staying for the Sat or Sun Shelby Club open track.

Tom - The DVD from the Mini-Nats is not done yet. They will all be sent to me & I'll send them to you & the other 13? GT owners who participated. It may be Dec before it's ready. For TMR there are no changes needed to your GT. Just a Snell 2000 helmet. I have one if you need to borrow it (size 7 3/8). Review the requirements at their website listed in my original post. I hope you can make it.

KJSlider - I'n running the stock Goodyears until they die. I'll get Hoosiers then. I'm only going 70% on the track but it's still a thrill. The GT is ok as a cruise machine or 1/4 mile car but it was born & raised for life on a road track! I didn't take lap times but I will start to keep track of it next year. Come on out then!

Red Rocket - I'm still experimenting on tire pressures. At the last event I ran 30 lbs rear & 31 lbs front after a 15 minute cool down. When I get my Hoosiers, shocks, allignment & corner weights dialed next year I'll get more serious & report to all. I went through 9 & 14/15 in 2nd except when I did my lazyman/torque monster laps in only 3rd. As far as the brake markers going into 14 I can't recall. It definitely wasn't before the 1st marker. My friend that goes with me is a great driver & pushes his '06 Z06 to 95% but I'm content to let him go when he's near me.

Ed

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Great. Thanks. Last time I was there, in my 996 I was taking 9, 14 and 15 in 3rd gear but that car is lower geared than the GT(most cars are!). What a great track it is: I see 1:47.8 is the time to beat for the GT1 class.

I am definitely interested in getting my GT down to TH some time next year. So I would love any track notes that you or maybe your Z06 buddy would be willing to share re setup as well as braking points.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
kjslider said:
I would love taking a GT out on T-hill. What tires were you on? Laptimes? Did you "get on it?" I raced this season in NorCal and love that track.

I'm in the process of getting the gtx1 conversion and won't be getting to track it there in any event. Maybe I should get another.....

I can't wait to see that. So, I assume your car is in Wisconsin now being converted? Or are they training and authorizing any one in CA to perform the conversion?

Mark mentioned that the door hinge conversion may be done in CA soon.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Ed Sims said:
KJSlider - I'n running the stock Goodyears until they die. I'll get Hoosiers then. I'm only going 70% on the track but it's still a thrill. The GT is ok as a cruise machine or 1/4 mile car but it was born & raised for life on a road track! I didn't take lap times but I will start to keep track of it next year. Come on out then!

Ed

I raced Hoosiers to two regional championships(ITE and SP) in the SanFran Region and hold all the ITE Records this season in a Mitsubishi Evo on Hoosier DOT's so I'm not bad mouthing 'em they're a good DOT race tire but not as "communicative" at their limit as something a bit harder compound. I like Toyo RA-1's for the Evo.

Hoosiers are also really only at their prime for a handful of heatcycles anyhow.

Just mho! :thumbsup

Last edited:

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
SYCO GT said:
I can't wait to see that. So, I assume your car is in Wisconsin now being converted? Or are they training and authorizing any one in CA to perform the conversion?

Mark mentioned that the door hinge conversion may be done in CA soon.

Well I'm domiciled in Newport as well and will contact you when it arrives. I'm waiting for word on getting the car any day now. Was suppose to be taking delivery tomorrow but that seems unlikely since I haven't heard from them since earlier last month. The project has stalled(they've had my car and trailer well over four months for the "two week" conversion) and tomorrow is the "latest" commitment from the guys at Genaddi. I guess the cars delivered to date will need to get there roofs "fitted" sometime after delivery.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Oh, might as well post this for you motorsports fans and all as last weekend I had Randy Pobst as co-driver in the Evo at the SCCA RDC Enduro at Laguna Seca. Randy is one of the best Road Racers we got here stateside and he was going off on how the GT was like his dream car. :banana He drooled a bit when I informed him I had one.

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
Great. Thanks. Last time I was there, in my 996 I was taking 9, 14 and 15 in 3rd gear but that car is lower geared than the GT(most cars are!). What a great track it is: I see 1:47.8 is the time to beat for the GT1 class.

I am definitely interested in getting my GT down to TH some time next year. So I would love any track notes that you or maybe your Z06 buddy would be willing to share re setup as well as braking points.

WOW 1:47.8 is hauling a$$. I turned a 2:08 in a stock Viper, anyone have times in a stock FGT? T-hill is my favorite track but a loooooong drive at 450 miles :cheers