Thoughts on the first 500 "Phase 1" '05 GTs

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I just got GTJoey's book, and it's really great (y) 🍻 Those of you who've read it might remember he refers to "Phase 1", ie the first batch of ~500 GTs where some have some issues. Just wondering if any of you have thoughts on the desirability of these vs say the '05 Phase 2 ('05 VINs ~500 to ~1,000) and Phase 3 ('05 VINs ~1,000 to 2,022 which was the final '05) which he calls the high-water mark of the entire 05 / 06 run, ie fewest parts issues and fitment problems, and build quality the highest. Just wondering if these earliest GTs are less desirable than those later '05s. Partially asking because I noticed that of the well known GT dealers' sold GTs rarely if ever do I see a 1 - 500 Phase 1 VIN, either in their active sale or sold listings. For instance, BJ Motors' site lists 13 sold '05 GTs and none have a first-500 VIN.

Do any of you have a first-500? And if so, how do you feel about it?

Just curious ... Thanks ...

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
There are really no notable negative differences...in fact, the billet aluminium A-arms on some of the '05s are sought after by many!

bmoullet

GT Owner
Apr 19, 2006
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
As an FYI, Desneux has two phase 1 GTs for sale right now. I agree that there are probably little differences with the exception of the billet A-arms. Not enough to sway a purchase decision.

Reactions: extrap

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
I have a first 500 VIN car with no issues. There are a few differences like clamshell clips, a grill in the front and Billet control arms. I'm original owner and chose to keep it over my 2006 car. I consider it a positive and not a negative. Your welcome to come see it some time if you would like.

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
On the first 500 the only thing I really would worry about is the crank/crank seal speedy sleeve and wether it was done or not and if it was leaking.As long as it isn't leaking I wouldn't kick one out of bed. As far as I can tell after looking at several different cars over the last 15 years is they all have some build quality issues as it is a hand made car.All the 05's have the billet arms and the later 05 cars have the 06 grill(less chance of overheating on the track).I.have (1836) a late 05 and there were some minor fit finish issues on it when I got it but I have seen these same issues on early 05's,early 06's,late 06's it doesn't matter.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Regarding the early cars not coming up for sale so often, perhaps the holders of the early cars are just keeping them. Plus, statistically, with only ~ 12% of the cars being "early" cars, most sales won't be from that vintage.

I have an early car (production between 500 and 600) and love it. It has the band aid clips, a front grill, and the billet control arms. I think they're a "feature", as opposed to a defect, since it is part of the low-volume production heritage of the car. It's been pretty much trouble-free (so far).

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Thanks for all the replies 🍻 While it is in my sig, I forgot to point out in my OP that I do already own '05 VIN 400442 and I'm perfectly happy with it and have no plans to sell. No leaks (y) Just interested in y'all's thoughts on the early ones vs the later ones.

... and at least 3 they've sold (400413, 400439 & 400447). So now I'm convinced that they are actually out there (y):D

Last edited by a moderator:

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
It’s funny......
16 years later how well the entire run has held up Or should I say Bullet Proof!
The breakdown at the time of writing was illustrating the differences and adjustments to a special once in a lifetime hand made car!
Our second book illustrates how good the whole range is when we drove vin 2005/360 Around the World Almost😀
It illustrates that an early car you can jump in and just drive 13,400 miles in 31 driving days and Go to sleep it can keep going for anther 200,000 miles!
They are all wonderful cars
To think we sweated over how to buy a 150,000 car! It peanuts today plus a salvaged gt any year brings at least more than the original price!
Great times
Gtjoey1314
Extrap I’m happy your enjoying the book!

Attachments

• F03047FB-8E18-41B4-9EFB-4AEA7C9A6B9F.jpeg
    F03047FB-8E18-41B4-9EFB-4AEA7C9A6B9F.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
To think we sweated over how to buy a 150,000 car! It peanuts today plus a salvaged gt any year brings at least more than the original price!

Superformance GT40 "rollers" alone are $124,900 today...