The Road Home....

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ralphie, please post some pics of old high school girlfriends.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Ralphie, you were just a couple of hours ahead of me on I-70 in Kansas. Just got home last night at 7PM - unloaded trailer. 5622 miles round trip and 2863 miles, Detroit to my house in the Bremerton Washington area. Spent Saturday night at my son's house in Indianapolis, Sunday night in Hays Kansas, Monday night in Riverton Wyoming. Drove through Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks and spent Tuesday Night in Boseman, Montana. Drove from Boseman to Bremerton on Wednesday - 90 hours of seat time. Looking for interesting pictures to post.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Ralphie, please post some pics of old high school girlfriends.

The picture's will be in black and white.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Guess I will be the last one home. 1400 to go.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx

Safe travels Jeff

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Ralphie, my Father always talked about Oak Creek Canyon because in the 40's he was in the WPA building parks and camps. For fun he boxed for extra money to send to his parents. When I was a kid we took a trip to that part of the Country and my Dad took us to numerous locations where he worked. Drove right to them.

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
741 down today ..12 hours including stops. 61 mph avg. Helps that three states had 80 mph limits. 700 to home. In Rapid City for tonight. Be good to be home soon. Looking forward to Rally 11.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Safe travels Jeff

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Twisty Roads

September 2: I left the Cameron Trading Post about 8:00 am (MDT in the Navajo Nation) yesterday, and drove down to Flagstaff, then down Oak Creek Canyon (one of my father's favorite places) to Sedona, then over to Clarksdale and up through Jerome to Prescott, Arizona. Great drive with lots of twisty roads!! Then, I dropped down to the desert floor and finally joined I-10....

I finally got the videos edited and published - the first runs down Oak Creek Canyon on AZ-89A from below Flagstaff to Sedona, Arizona - a straight flat drive through the Tonto National Forest for about 8½ miles, and then it drops away in a series of switchbacks to the canyon floor, and then follows Oak Creek to Sedona -

[video=youtube;iGTJn5l7Rw0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGTJn5l7Rw0[/video]

I would consider this next video to what could have been the American version of the Targa Florio road race (45 mile circuit) that ran through the hills and towns of Sicily, continuing on AZ-89A. This was probably my favorite part of the road home, and climbs from the valley floor at Clarksdale Arizona, up through Jerome (an old mining town), over a pass and follows a ridge line down to the Prescott Valley floor.

View attachment 39423

[video=youtube;GX5bJ_VmHqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX5bJ_VmHqk[/video]

The final twisty road section runs down from Prescott heading southwest on AZ-89 down to Wilhoit, Arizona, and could also have been part of an American version of the Targa Florio -

View attachment 39424

[video=youtube;OXbTIbuyDvY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXbTIbuyDvY[/video]

The rest of the road home consisted of freeway driving to the Los Angeles and then San Diego areas, and up US 395 across the Mojave Desert and the Owens Valley on the Eastern side of the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Total mileage of the return trip - 3,020.2 miles
Total mileage for complete trip - 7,311.4 miles

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I love those roads….been there, done that..looking forward to doing them again.

Huge kudos' to a great road design and wonderful pavement to boot.

Nicely done Ralph.