The DHG Racing Ford GT

Sportscar Universe

Jan 27, 2007
FRANCE
Whereas several teams are currently working making their respective projects come true both in Europe and USA, last year a Ford GT was prepared according to the rules of the GT300 class of the japanese Super GT championship. The car made progress race after racer and could have won one or two times.
The TOM's team developped the car and the Teramoto team maintained it. Starting from a road going machine, the TOM's staff hardly modified the car and even replaced the 5.4 liter V8 power unit with a 3.5 liter Zetec-R Ford V8.

I'm looking for technical information about that car. How were the chassis, body, engine environment, suspension, transmission, brake system, exhaut system, cooling system, and other parts modified?

I unsuccessfully tried to contact both the TOM's and the DHG Racing team and even the Super GT official website.
Perhaps some of you may help me by providing those information or the name of someone to contact...

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
I'm surprised th GT is in GT300 and not GT500. What's the story there?

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
I remember watching it and saw that the team didn't even make it to qualifying for the first race and then qualified but didn't make it to the actual race. I stopped following it after that.

Sportscar Universe

Jan 27, 2007
FRANCE
That's a shame! After difficult start, the car performed better and better at every outing. By the end of the season, the GT300 Ford GT was a strong challenger for the class win.

The DHG Racing entry could win one or two races if the team or drivers didn't make mistake or meet problems with mechanic.

I watched races on the TV and I really was impressed how the car performed so well. Even if it started from the end of the grid, it was able to pass most of its rivals to finally take a top 5 finish. The Ford Gt even obtained its first podium (3rd) at the last round.

Don't forget it's a new car. It begun its development and must still evolve.
When you see how the car progressed in 2006, you can't image it will not be able to race for the title this year.

TOM's and Teramoto made a very good job.
The 1996 McLaren F1 GTR excepted, any "occidental" car won a race in this championship. The DHG Racing Ford GT has the potential for that.

I'm the webmaster of http://www.sportscaruniverse.com, a website dedicated to both Gt & Prototype race cars from past to present.
Begun 7 years ago, it now contains about 700 files dealing with GT, Group C/IMSA GTP, Silhouette/Group 5, WSC/LMP, Daytona Prototypes, and soon Canam type machines.

I'm currently working on american machines. Some of them ran the IMSA series in the 80s. But the japanese Ford GT is the one I'm very interested by.
Then, all you know about it is very welcomed.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Welcome !!!

Sportscar Universe

Jan 27, 2007
FRANCE
That's right. Thanks Stormcat !