The clutch and my foot, and the floor mat? And something!

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
I am a new owner of a 06 GT. Never driving the car before I bought it, I did make some mistakes. First off, I was not pushing the pedal all the way in, thus the car would not crank....LOL jokes on me! Then, went to move it off the street and into the garage, started out in 3rd.....Haha, another joke at my expence.

Perhaps the scariest part yet. My foot got stuck at the heel as I let the clutch out when pulling it into my garage! Like it got hooked on the floor and the edge of what is the floor mat???? What was up with that???? Was the type of sneaker my issue????
I have been driving standards since the late 70's...This all happen so fast that I was not sure exactly what happened.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Hmm. The factory floor mat goes well beyond the clutch pedal? You sure you didn't get stuck between gas pedal and clutch pedal? Make sure your seat is adjusted properly so your pedals are ideal as far as length away.

Congrats on your purchase, I know you were looking to buy one for a while. Great color. One of the Long Island ones you were looking at?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The pedals are pretty far forward. Be sure you adjust the seat so you can get the clutch pedal all the way down comfortably. The steering wheel adjusts in and out, as well as up and down, so make sure to get that in the best ergonomic relationship too.

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Thanks I will set myself up in it, and I will look at the floor closer and see if something may have been there. I was too excited to look! Thank you, I bought it off this forum!

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
I set myself up in it, and it is much better, to be honest, I was looking for something and I cannot figure how it happened, It might have been the excitement of getting it and moving it for the first time. I got to say, whenever I get a car delivered, I usually do something stupid, like my 67 Shelby I got so excited that I broke off the wood steering wheel!!! LOL, I just had to laugh! In fact I even said to my wife, "OK now don't let me do anything stupid with this car!" We joke about that steering wheel!

Attachments

• IMG_1958.JPG
    IMG_1958.JPG
    499.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1960.JPG
    IMG_1960.JPG
    493.9 KB · Views: 7

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You are not allowed to wear slip on shoes on the track for exactly this reason. Your toes/ball of foot are on the pedal and the shoe flexes in the middle and the heel comes off of your foot and folds. Do not take off in third gear when you punch it. You will end up with a clutch made of spaghetti.

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Oh yes, I know 3rd gear is not good, I surprised myself how easy it was to make that mistake, years ago I had a focus SVT with a 6 speed and it kinda reminded me when I did that. Have not done the 3rd gear start again. I just did not know the GT's shifter, its a "hard" click to the left for reverse and what I would say a "soft" click to the left for 1st and 2nd.

The foot issue I think must have been my nervousness as that has not happen again, and I could not even make it happen when I tried to see if it was my sneaker. Its all great again!

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Congrats on your GT purchase. In short order you will learn all the quirks of our GTs and enjoy every minute of your drives.

DG1

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2016
Toronto
Ha! I got a kick out of your post because I had similar experiences when I first drove my GT! I was on a test drive miles away from home base in Arkansas. Running low on fuel, I pulled in to a gas station to fuel up. When I went to leave the gas station, my GT wouldn’t crank- nothing! My first encounter with a car where the clutch pedal has to be floored before it will start!
Started in third once too- seems to be more likely when the car is cold for some reason!
I replaced my factory mats with set from Andrew at Exoticare- nice Ford GT stitching along with the cars vin- and my sneaker seems to slide when it hits the carpeted surface more-so than it did over the factory mat.
You might also want to try a pair of Piloti sneakers or “driving shoes” as they call them! I have a pair of their Lemans sneaker and retro boot- really nice!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Piloti has been out of business for some time I think.

Last edited:

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hey Franimal, I have a 67 Shelby as well, fun car, Steve

Attachments

• 1967 Shelby 344 side shot.jpg
    1967 Shelby 344 side shot.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 5

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Nice! Is that Black or NIghtmist Blue? Here's mine.

Attachments

• IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    984.4 KB · Views: 3

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Ha! I got a kick out of your post because I had similar experiences when I first drove my GT! I was on a test drive miles away from home base in Arkansas. Running low on fuel, I pulled in to a gas station to fuel up. When I went to leave the gas station, my GT wouldn’t crank- nothing! My first encounter with a car where the clutch pedal has to be floored before it will start!
Started in third once too- seems to be more likely when the car is cold for some reason!
I replaced my factory mats with set from Andrew at Exoticare- nice Ford GT stitching along with the cars vin- and my sneaker seems to slide when it hits the carpeted surface more-so than it did over the factory mat.
You might also want to try a pair of Piloti sneakers or “driving shoes” as they call them! I have a pair of their Lemans sneaker and retro boot- really nice!

Haha, I think someone should compile a bunch of stories of things like this and write a book, make it comical.