The Art of Racing in the Rain

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Has anybody seen this movie yet? It looks like a racing movie (and previews have lots of footage from Turner Motorsports) but I've heard its really a dog movie. On Rotten Tomatoes, critics gave it 44% but audiences 96%. Trying to figure out if it's worth seeing and if so, is it a family movie? Date night? Racing buddies? Thanks in advance!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I read the book, gave it to my wife and she won't see the movie because the book made her cry as did everyone we loaned the book to. (Some would only admit to running eyes like allergies :) ) The title is a little misleading. It's told from the dog's point of view. I consider it a family movie. The boss is out of town this week so I might go see it myself.

Reactions: KennethClay

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
It is not a racing movie. My wife and I enjoyed it. It is a story about a driver, who meets a girl, gets married, drama happens. All told through the Golden Retreiver (Kevin Costner voice) picked by the driver at the beginning of the movie. I would say family movie but not necessarily for young kids. Definitely not a racing buddy movie.....

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
I would say family movie but not necessarily for young kids.

Family movies...with race cars...are nice. Would it be ok for a 10-year old (in your professional opinion)?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If I recall the book some of the drama might be inappropriate for younger kids. There is a custody battle that gets quite nasty and involves some charges. I don't know how the movie handles it. In fact it's playing nearby with cheap tickets and the boss doesn't want to see it so I'm going.

Edit: Changed divorce to custody. I forgot that part of the story line. Bring hankies.

Last edited:

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Haven't seen the movie, but the book was good, better than the title suggests. I would preview the movie first, that way you can see if it looks appropriate for the kid, and also see if you need kleenex for the family. 😉

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just got back. Definitely a three hanky show. I'd say not for younger kids as it's pretty strong on custody themes. enzo ties it all together and makes the movie.

PS. Apparently dogs can detect what happened in the movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: KennethClay

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
I saw the movie and it is mostly a chick-flick with lots of drama. But if you owe your wife a movie to see together, it is not bad and does have a good story around a race car driver and it was fun to see the different cars he raced.

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
Finally found a movie with cars that my wife liked. Take your girl and earn some points.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Has anybody seen this movie yet? It looks like a racing movie (and previews have lots of footage from Turner Motorsports) but I've heard its really a dog movie. On Rotten Tomatoes, critics gave it 44% but audiences 96%. Trying to figure out if it's worth seeing and if so, is it a family movie? Date night? Racing buddies? Thanks in advance!

Saw it. Liked it. if you have a dog and like to drive fast you will like it as well.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I'm a Labrador Retriever guy and a car guy. I loved the book when I read it years ago and I thought the movie was great. Peggy enjoyed it as much as I did. If you love dogs you'll love this movie, the car stuff is all a bonus. The cruelest thing about good dogs is that they only live 10 or so years before we have to say goodby. And I think taking kids to this movie is fine. Much better than Disney flicks where witches are trying to poison pretty young girls.

Chip

Last edited:

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Good movie, better book. Bring tissues.

Reactions: Special K

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I read this book years ago. Def a tear jerker. I have 2 pound dogs, both pit mixes. 3 weeks ago I was driving home at night with Mary after dinner. We were in my '05 FGT, two miles from home, when we came across a puppy in the roadway. It's night and there are predators out where we live...coyotes and bobcats. Anyway, we took the pup home in the FGT! Poor girl was starving. She's about 4 months old. Some POS had dumped her out on our county road. Spent $400 on shots and deworming, etc. She's being fostered by my sis till she's housebroken. I think she's a keeper. One pic with my sweet niece. She looks like a yellow lab. Loves swimming and has a wonderful disposition. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Just heartbreaking, but you are incredible for giving her love and a chance. I have a feeling you are going to get paid off in spades with love and satisfaction from this puppy. Adorable pictures, look at the size of those paws!

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
If you're a dog lover like me and enjoyed the "first person dog" storytelling of that book or movie, there's a great series of detective books also written from the dog's perspective. (The dog is just a normal dog- no superpowers, can't talk, easily distracted, etc.)

There are 8 or 9 so far, the first one is "Dog on it." I've read 'em all several times, and also have a couple of the audiobooks.

https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Chet-Bernie-Mystery/dp/1416585842/

Last edited:

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Cars and Coffee in Dallas. Took my rescue baby Lab with me. She's a sweetheart.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    980.7 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    616.4 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    665.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Cars and Coffee in Dallas. Took my resume baby Lab with me. She's a sweetheart.
She will never forget what you did for her and she will love you all her life.

Reactions: ByeEnzo

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
The irony is that the person that dumped her will probably never get the chance to ride in a new GT...

Reactions: ByeEnzo