Texas Shelby/Cobra/GT get together March 12th

sportscars

Oct 22, 2009
Alamo city
The fourth annual Texas Shelby get together is just around the corner. Mark your calendars for March 12th. We will start off in Kerrville about 9am and end in Buda at the Cabela's Saturday evening car show. We will be driving about 240 miles of the best roads in Texas. You can RSVP to me here or email me at sean at terlinguaps dot com.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I'm in. I'll check with all other centex GT owners to see if they are coming. Spirit sould finally come since you are starting in his backyard.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
How fast you guys drive? I am still getting used to the GT and I'd hate to try and keep up with guys used to the power and wad it into a tree.

If its not crazy, I'm in!:biggrin

fastzilla

Where's reverse?
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 17, 2010
San Antonio, TX
If I'm in town I'll go.

Mmmmm....
16, 1888, 473, 165, 2325.....yummy!

Daytrayd,
There is not too much threat of getting lost. The roads above are 2-lane and any traffic will slow the lead down to the speed limit or below. Limited sight & limited passing lanes will keep the pack together. The roads are more fun to run at a moderate pace and enjoy the scenery.

I've run that route several times from Buda (ART) peeling off on 474 to Borne and eat at Rudy's in Leon Springs (better road w/less traffic than 3351).

Fearing the risk of retaliation from the Mustang crowds - consider your driving partners, Mustangs. I think they will be the limit in the twisties, the GTs should easily stay within sight of the Mustangs. Now if they take 32 out of Blanco then it will be a freeway style road romp since 32 is gentle sweepers and the Mustangs can let the ponies run.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
How fast you guys drive? I am still getting used to the GT and I'd hate to try and keep up with guys used to the power and wad it into a tree.

If its not crazy, I'm in!:biggrin

Most runs allow you to pick your speed. If you are anal and crazy get up front. Medium runs in the middle and the folks in the rear can set their own pace. Have you ever run with HCD? They would be a good example. More details available on the local board centexsvt.com

Last edited:

sportscars

Oct 22, 2009
Alamo city
The last thing we need is an accident or for 15 or 20 of us to be arrested for racing so we stay within 5-10 mph of the speed limit. The vast majority of the Mustangs there will be Shelby's and/or modified cars and pretty capable of handling the roads. The weak link, as always, will be the drivers either being scared or thinking their name is Andretti :lol

We will have two groups: a "spirited" group and a "recreational" group. We will be happy to place you in the group you are most comfortable with.

More details soon....

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Most runs allow you to pick your speed. If you are anal and crazy get up front. Medium runs in the middle and the folks in the rear can set their own pace. Have you ever run with HCD? They would be a good example. More details available on the local board centexsvt.com

I have never done a run, this would be my first. I had a couple Stangs back in the day but never did any rallies. I've only had the GT a week so this would be her first big trip.

fastzilla

Where's reverse?
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 17, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I'll got out and we can run together. I'll bring the Jeep :lol :banana

You'll be fine - start out at the back & you'll spend the rest of the drive trying to get to the front. That's the way it usually goes. The GT is so easy to drive and with the long wheel base very predictable easy to control/recover if something slips :eek

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Unless it is cold, then drive like a typical grandma. The motor makes way more power in cold weather and the tires lose most of their grip. If the run is like what Sportscars describes you should be fine. A slightly faster commute.

Cody

GT Owner
Feb 1, 2007
Bee Cave/Lakeway,TX
If I'm in town I will more than likely meet up!

sportscars

Oct 22, 2009
Alamo city
For those interested we will be using the Hampton Inn in Kerrville on Friday night and the Hampton Inn in Buda on Saturday night. We will be stopping for lunch at about 1pm and we will be doing dinner in Buda.
As with the last three Texas get togethers, this one will be a blast! See you there.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Any of you guys going still?

sportscars

Oct 22, 2009
Alamo city
I talked to Chris (silverbullet) this week and he will be in New Mexico this weekend. I don't think DonnyMac is going to make it either, but I have not talked to him since last week. I also haven't heard from Lee whether he is coming or which car he might bring.

I would love to have some GT's make it out. If you have any questions, feel free to call me @ 210-885-7326.

Sean

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
I talked to Chris (silverbullet) this week and he will be in New Mexico this weekend. I don't think DonnyMac is going to make it either, but I have not talked to him since last week. I also haven't heard from Lee whether he is coming or which car he might bring.

I would love to have some GT's make it out. If you have any questions, feel free to call me @ 210-885-7326.

Sean

We were to be at LBJ this weekend but plans shifted. I am stuck in W Texas. Otherwise I would join you for a day run.

When is Pocono?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Bummer for me - I am in NYC til Sunday night so will miss this. I did those roads a few months ago with the Houston Cobra Club; fantastic driving! Watch out for the cops in Kerrville!

sportscars

Oct 22, 2009
Alamo city
We were to be at LBJ this weekend but plans shifted. I am stuck in W Texas. Otherwise I would join you for a day run.

When is Pocono?

Darn Donny! We will have a drink in your honor I guess. :cheers

Pocono is May 4-7th at Pocono Raceway. Don't have any GT's signed up yet :frown Hopefully I can get a couple of those yankee GT's to come out! :lol

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Pocono is May 4-7th at Pocono Raceway. Don't have any GT's signed up yet :frown Hopefully I can get a couple of those yankee GT's to come out! :lol[/QUOTE]

I would appreciate any information for the Pocono Raceway deal, and I will let the locals know about it. I am sure it would be fun, and probably get a bunch of us to come out. Pocono is a nice drive from the City, and I believe most would welcome a get together there....

Gino

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Pocono link from Shelby forum http://poniesinthepoconos.com/Home_Page.php

Last edited: