Texas Mile update

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
There seems to be some interest from several of you in going to the Texas Mile. The website (www.texasmile.com) is a little confusing and out of date so I called Shannon Matus (281-802-9863) and asked a few basic questions. Here's what I found out:

The only required safety equipment we will need for our cars will be fire extinguishers mounted in an accessible place and Snell 2005 rated automobile helmets (motorcycle won't work). She said just tie wrap an approved extinguisher to your passenger seat rail and that would pass tech. I know one member of this forum has a custom mount being designed as we speak so a bolt on may be available by race time.

Those of you with twin turbo setups may have other issues if they suspect that you can break 190:bow . At that speed they require much more equipment, like a roll cage. She said if someone barely broke 190 and promised they wouldn't do it again:lol they would PROBABLY let you run again but no guarantees. My suggeation would be to do a couple of test runs being careful not to exceed 185 and then when all the stars were aligned just right make your final pass all out. If they won't let you run again, so what. You'll have you time slip as proof.

They only measure the mile speed. No quarter or other measurements.

No passengers. My son will be sorely disappointed and my wife will just have to drive herself. Maybe we could get a contest going between the wives...any other female hot rods out there?

Sunday is a little less crowded because a lot of the racers have done all they wanted on Saturday and either head home or just watch. I won't be able to get there in time to race Saturday but how many passes do you really want to make anyway? One day should be enough.

You have to attend the drivers meeting before you can run but there is a second meeting both days at lunch that they don't advertise too heavily. If you have too much fun in the metropolis of Goliad Texas the night before and can't get out there by 9 am you can still do the afternoon runs.

The official hotel is the Best Western in Beeville, 361-358-9999. She is going to call them today to arrange the special rate for the racers. Be sure you mention you are there for the race and the rate should be about $75 per night. As of today they had plenty of rooms but that will change rapidly. The website lists a few others. There's not much choice in that area so reserve now, you can always cancel later.

She said if enough GT's show up they could separate us into our own group to compete against each other. I don't know if that would be fair since I expect to see pulleys, Whipples and now maybe a turbo but it's not really a race anyway. There is apparently a group of Vipers coming in from all over the US and will be running as a group on Saturday. Maybe some of you Viper guys know more about that.

There are a few other things you can pick up off the website so keep an eye on it for updates.

This thing could be a blast!:party

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Made my reservations today...:biggrin

mardyn

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
I AM COMMING THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS I WILL DO JUST THAt.....

piko6

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I AM COMMING THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS I WILL DO JUST THAt.....

piko6

GO PIKO GO ! DON'T HOLD BACK; and have it filmed as usual... |||:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

stefan