Temperature

escman

GT Owner
Nov 16, 2005
Long Island, NY
Hi Guys, Just A Question... I Have Been Using The Car Every Weekend. The Temp. Gauge Has Been Reading About 170 Consistently. Last Night While Getting It In The Driveway I Noticed The Gauge Reading About 200. I Immediately Backed Out An Ran It Up To 40 Mph For Awhile But No Change. No Problem Really, 200 Is Still Good, Just Looking For Some Feedback. Thanks

PS CAN YOU GUYS LET ME KNOW WHAT TEMP. TOUR RUNNING AT.

Last edited:

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
On a 90 degree day, 180 at constant speed and 200 when I'm driving more aggressively (higher rpm and stop and go).

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Sounds a little high - are the coolant levels in range and are both front fans operating? Worth a double-check with Ford I would have thought.

werewolf

GT Owner
Oct 30, 2005
Doesn't sound like 200 is that high ... on a hot summer day down here in Austin (outside temp mid-high ~90's), mine will hit ~210 in slow, stop & go. Yep ... fans working, coolant level OK, whole system's been checked by Ford.

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Does anyone know if turning on the A/C also engages, or speeds up, the radiator fans? I know it sounds strange, but I think my car's temperature runs cooler when the A/C is on. Does that make any sense?

escman

GT Owner
Nov 16, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yes. The Coolant Level Is Fine, And No The Fans Were Not Running. I Do Not Think The Engine Was Hot Enough To Signal The Ecm To Turn On The Fans. I Will Check It More Thoroughly This Weekend Weather Permitting.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I know a lot of guys turn their a/c on to cool their cars. My car runs 160 to 180 cruising with out stops but when I have to sit at a lot of traffic lights it does go up to 200 but will come back down when I am cruising continuously.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
After doing track sessions it is normal to shut-off engine and turn on a/c to help cool the engine for approx 15-20 minutes. This is routine for any type of car if equiped with a/c.

Dave

werewolf

GT Owner
Oct 30, 2005
barondw said:
After doing track sessions it is normal to shut-off engine and turn on a/c to help cool the engine for approx 15-20 minutes. This is routine for any type of car if equiped with a/c.

Dave
I don't follow dave ... shut-off engine ??? Water pump won't be running, even if fans do come on, they won't help cool the engine? As we know, the A/C cools the interior but heats the engine (compressor puts more load on the engine) ... only way it could help would be constant or increased fan speed, but that will only work if water is flowing ... :confused

What am I missing?

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
AC effect

barondw said:

Dave

Don't agree aswell. :bs Turning off engine will avoid circulation of coolant to carry away heatpeaks within the engine area (e.g cylinderseal area).. Better stop the car, keep the engine running, open engine hatch, and turn on the HEATING on full to carry away heat from the engine into the cabin, and dissipate with open doors... :thumbsup

That'll do it

Last edited:

werewolf

GT Owner
Oct 30, 2005
SLF360 said:
Don't agree aswell. :bs Turning off engine will avoid circulation of coolant to carry away heatpeaks within the engine area (e.g cylinderseal area).. Better stop the car, keep the engine running, open engine hatch, and turn on the HEATING on full to carry away heat from the engine into the cabin, and dissipate with open doors... :thumbsup

That'll do it
That makes sense to me as well ... keep engine running, turn cabin heat on full. Unless the a/c really does increase fan speed or duty cycle ... but in any case, gotta keep the motor running to "actively" cool it.

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Coolant Levels

On a mid engine car with a forward mounted radiator you need to elevate the rear or front of the car to be certain the cooling system is actually completely full. This , coupled with bleeding air from the "tpo of the low" point will avoid air pockets. The determination of front OR rear is based on fill location and highest water point in the system . As iit appears lifting the car is problematic owners might try the old trick of placing the car on a tilt bed roll back wrecker to verify full radiators and blocks .

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
I talked about the engine temp a while ago, and I was seeing the same thing. It would go from 170 to 210 pretty quickly once I'd hit stop and go traffic, and drop again as soon as I'd be cruising. 210 is not an issue, perfectly normal.
If you feel that you're not comfortable with 210, turn on the A/C at the lowest setting even, and the temp will drop almost instantly (within a couple of minutes) to 190 or less.

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
escman said:
Hi Guys, Just A Question... I Have Been Using The Car Every Weekend. The Temp. Gauge Has Been Reading About 170 Consistently. Last Night While Getting It In The Driveway I Noticed The Gauge Reading About 200. I Immediately Backed Out An Ran It Up To 40 Mph For Awhile But No Change. No Problem Really, 200 Is Still Good, Just Looking For Some Feedback. Thanks

It's my understanding the thermostat starts to open @ 180 and is fully open by 205. If you turn on the A/C as others suggested, it will turn the fans on manually, but this should not be necessary since the fans should turn on automatically. My fans turn on automatically around 200.

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
My fans seem to kick on when the temp guage reaches 210! This seams a little to high. Has any one contacted ford to see if a sensor is available to start the fans at 190-195?

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
escman said:

Hello everyone,

There is no need to worry about engine operation at even 230 degrees. Modern day engines and synthetic oils are fine, even at 240 degrees (just make sure your coolant is capable of this). Tests have been done several decades ago, which showed that forcing an engine to operate at artificially reduced temperatures (less than 160 degrees F) reduced engine life, significantly. Furthermore, thermal cycling (the constant heating and cooling) stresses the engine more than if it were just left at a constant 230 degrees. Most engine damage occurs at startup, my new GT (I assume everyone else's) quickly revs up to about 2,500 RPM on an initial cold start. It would be best if you could keep an engine at a constant temperature 24 hrs. a day, whether it be 180 or 220 degrees F. I realize that this is not practical.

Ask a truck driver why he leaves his rig idling while he is eating breakfast at the truck stop. An internal combustion engine is happier staying warm. You have nothing to worry!

Since I am new to this forum, I will be posting some questions about other issues.

Thanks all, Jay. Happy new GT owner...

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
All you need is a block heater to keep the temperature constant when you don't use it or an auto start tied to a particilar coolant temperature and waste gasoline.

Maybe over engineering solutions isn't very practicle or desired.