Sunday Times 50 Best Supercars

H

HHGT

No need, I sent him one. Hopefully it will arrive at some stage.....

Just got back from holiday and getting updated on the forum. Thanks again Neil & GulfGT

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Here's the first 6 cars of the 50, interesting choices:
1. Bugatti Veyron
2. Alfa Romeo 8C
3. Ferrari 288 GTO
4. Aston Martin Vanquish
5. Ford GT
6. Bristol Fighter S

Here is what he said about the Bugatti in the first article in The Times:
Over the coming months I’m going to bring you the inside track on 50 of the world’s greatest supercars of all time, kicking off with the mighty Bugatti Veyron, which is up there with the very best.

The Veyron — named after Pierre Veyron, the French Bugatti driver who won at Le Mans in 1939 — redefined what we expected from a supercar when it arrived way back in 2005. Okay, the SSC Ultimate Aero has gone even faster officially, but the Bugatti moves in a different orbit from that car. It’s so well engineered, it feels as if it’ll still be running when the world stops spinning.

The pulverising acceleration it delivers every time you floor the throttle is what the Veyron has become famous for. At full bore, it takes two seconds to go from 30mph to 70mph. That’s quick enough to make it hard to breathe.

I’ve never experienced that sensation in any other road car; nor have I driven a car than can leave a Ferrari Enzo for dead so effectively as the Veyron did one day when I was testing it.

Make no mistake: the Veyron is one of the world’s greatest supercars ever.

Running costs
One word sums it up: hideous. A simple service costs £13,500; the standard warranty is only two years and extending it by 12 months costs a further £38,000. Only those with pockets as overflowing as a Gulf of Mexico gusher need apply.

Factoid: The Veyron has unique Michelin run-flat tyres that are reputedly the world’s most expensive production tyres. One owner I know picked up a nail in his Veyron’s rear tyre recently but, as Bugatti doesn’t allow any repairs, he was forced to fit a replacement. And they can be fitted only in pairs. The final bill for the two tyres? £14,500.

Kudos
Nothing else like it — a defining supercar. In 20 years’ time, expect the Bugatti Veyron to hit iconic status. Potentially the Ferrari 250 GTO of our generation.

Bank manager's reaction
Best not to mention you’ve bought one. Investing in BP shares at the peak would have been cheaper. Early cars sell for about £630,000 in the trade; a new one will cost you about £1.2m. If you want the open-top version (called the Grand Sport), it’ll cost you nearer £1.6m.

Pulling power
One of the more surprising characteristics of a Veyron is it’s perfectly capable of pootling around town. With its semi-auto gearbox, whisper-quiet exhaust and plush interior, it’s extremely civilised, so the girls are going to love it. One problem: there’s zero luggage room, making packing for a weekend away impossible.

Desirability
Oh yes, once you’ve felt that explosive kick of acceleration, you won’t be able to resist. As one owner put it to me recently: “Sometimes the Veyron appears to be a bit of a one-trick pony, so it’s a good job it’s a neat trick.” Quite.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Just got my newspaper in the mail from across the Pond. Thank you Neil, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Just got my newspaper in the mail from across the Pond. Thank you Neil, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

My pleasure.

Gulf, thanks for that round up. The Vanquish at 4???!!! Having owned both I can categorically say that the Vanquish is not in the same league. Supercar maybe, at a push (it's a hand built V12 and is quite fast), but it's just doesn't share the same space as the GT.

It seems an odd list, but pleased the GT is on there!

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I get the feeling that they are not in a particular order, just a list of the 50 best.