Storing My GT Near Salt Water

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Guys,

My wife and I are in the process of building a house on the coast of Maine. I’m planning to store my GT at this location however I know nothing about storing cars close to salt water and I’m somewhat concerned that, given the salt content in the air, leaving my GT in the garage of this house for a long period of time might not be a good idea. The garage is about 90 feet from the water and the lot is pretty exposed so the house/garage will take a lot of weather. Does anyone have any feedback for me on this?

Thanks,

Rob

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
I live at the beach in California. After watching my 65 jaguar and two motorcycles deteriorate I made plans to make sure the GT didn't meet the same fate. I insulated and drywalled the garage, changed the door to an insulated type, installed a dehumidifier and an air conditioner. Maybe thats overkill but I've seen what the salt air can do. Don't wait until its too late.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'd go with a full climate control system in the garage, Rob. And I'd make sure the garage was really well sealed to boot.

Maybe AlohaGT can offer additional ideas generated by personal experience.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I'd go with a full climate control system in the garage, Rob. And I'd make sure the garage was really well sealed to boot.

Salt air and metal ... not friendly towards each other. Build your garage like a vault and negative pressurize it if you can. In other words make sure more clean air is being pushed out of the garage then salty air is making its way into it. A simple a/c system that clocks on and off is not going to be enough for a true conservation grade place. Then buy a car capsule and change the filter often.

Seems like over kill but if you want your car around in 10 years it takes a solid investment now.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
ROb

There is a distinct difference bewteen west coast and east coast storage....humidity. Much worse on East Coast thus that is the real enemy to protect against.

Humidy controlled and temperature controlled is very important. You do not want dampness in the garage or for that matter your closets in the house.
Thus full climtae control, as previously suggested, is the way to go.

For your closets make sure they have lights and learn to leave the lights on to control humidity even with air conditioning.

Dave

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI

I'm in complete agreement as to a full climate controlled garage. You want to protect your assets against humidity, salt, and significant fluctuations in environment.

A home on the coast of Maine....enjoy!

You are placing the GT in the WORST possible enviroment you can, If I were you either build a garage of GREAT expence, (all the above) or find another place to store the car away from the damp coast. The materials in the GT are far more saseptable to carrosion than most cars on the road.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Here's the solution.

I'm going to suggest you leave the car with me in Scottsdale, Arizona. It's a dry heat. I'll garage it, feed it, drive it, and I'll even call you once a month to tell you how much you're enjoying it. :biggrin On a serious note a friend of mine owned a Glasair III aircraft and stored it in California for 15 years. The plane was pristine when it was sold a year ago. The new owner stored it about half a mile from the ocean on the East Coast. I saw the plane two months ago and it broke my heart to see extensive corrosion on every exposed metal part. It looks like he stored the damn thing in the ocean! Perhaps there is something different about the East Coast. How do they keep aircraft corrosion free on aircraft carriers? In any event, I would be very leery about storing a Ford GT that close to salt water. The corrosion on my buddies old airplane has reached every nook and cranny making it unrepairable. Most of these Ford GT's will still be in the hands of collectors 100 years from now. These cars will never be scrapped. Saltwater corrosion however, would seriously diminish the value of your GT. I'd keep it inside and well away from the ocean. JMO

Chip

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
If you can't give me the cacr to store:wink, I'd bubble it!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I'll even call you once a month to tell you how much you're enjoying it.Chip

:lol

There is a moderately inexpensive solution - something like this:

http://www.carcoon.co.uk

However whatever you do it is a hostile environment for expensive tin.

Looking forward to bringing the family out for the whole summer next year and seeing this new house!

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Thanks everyone this is very helpful! Given the comments I think I'll keep the car at our suburban Boston home during the summer and at Chip's house during the winter months.

Cheers,

Rob

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Move to Fresno, lots of dry heat here, a little fog in the winter, or in my head when I have to much MAKERS MARK

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
How do they keep aircraft corrosion free on aircraft carriers?

Frequent inspections, fresh water washdowns, liberal amounts of penetrating oil, little metal brushes, and lots of elbow grease. The salt air and sea spray is still hell on the jets.

Best Regards,

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Wd40 ???

liberal amounts of penetrating oil

Jason,

I have read that WD40 was originally developed for protecting aircraft near salt water. Do you still use that or do you have something better now? Any time you're home in AZ you have a standing invitation to fly some aerobatics in my Glasair III (it's corrosion free!). Your Harrier is still my favorite AC. :thumbsup God bless you.

Chip

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I had a marine (boat type not military) engineer tell me that WD stood for water dispersion and it was not really good to use on anything that came around salt water. Since what was left was just the abrasive stuff after the water evacuated. So on my racing cat I started using CLP (Breakfree) for lubricant on blocks and cars. Never had a failure after that.

On the boat we used naval jelly to cut down the corrosion on fittings. It worked great but I would not even touch the GT with the stuff.

Good luck in Okinawa .... I always loathed that place. PT was the only thing that you could do and not get an article 15.