Stock Air Filter

Black2003Cobra

Mar 4, 2006
NY
Reducing any restriction in front of the supercharger (high VE or not) will absolutely increase the mass-air flow rate. Try thinking about it this way; consider the extreme case wherein you completely block off the inlet and ask what your mass-air flow rate will be. Basically zero, of course.

At WOT the mass-air flow rate of a positive-displacement pump is the product of its volumetric-flow rate times the air density at its inlet. Put a restriction in front of it and the inlet pressure goes down. When the inlet pressure goes down, so does the air density at the SC inlet, and therefore, so does the mass-air flow rate even though the volumetric-flow rate into the SC doesn’t change. And as we all know, a lower mass-air (and fuel) flow rate translates to a lower amount of (indicated) power.

I don’t own a GT, but this I can tell you. I took out the stock filter and snorkel in my ’03 Cobra, (which also has a positive-displacement SC), and put in a drop-in K&N filter and gained ~10 rwHP. At a later date, I put a smaller pulley on and did a baseline. I then took out the drop-in filter, MAF screen, and stock air “box” and replaced it with K&N FIPK and picked up 23 rwHP over the baseline pulley run as measured on a Mustang Dyno. (Of course that doesn’t necessarily mean you guys would see that kind of gain. It would depend on how restrictive the stock system is, which I’m sure is better than the one on my car. Easy to check though…take the air filters out just for a quick test and see what you get.) Does it let more dirt in than the paper element? I’m sure it does. Enough to cause any damage? Couldn’t tell you, (but I’ve had it on the car for about 3 years now). One could always have their oil analyzed to see what’s getting in and how big the particulates are. Operating environment matters, of course.

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Installed the K&N filters and made dyno runs before and after. Not a single hp increase :frown

Rob Ferretti

May 2, 2006
NYC area
just bought the K&N filters and installed them as well, not going to redyno but I am not expecting anything more then psychological HP out of them.

Black2003Cobra

Mar 4, 2006
NY
SteveA said:
Installed the K&N filters and made dyno runs before and after. Not a single hp increase :frown
Then the GT stock filters aren't a restriction! Good info, (although sorry to hear it didn't help any after spending all the time and money. On my car the stock intake was really corked up!)

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
The stock filters are fine. Also forgot in my last post to mention that John at Accufab says he flow benched the stock and K&N's and found no difference.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
K&n

I put the K&N's in mine and ran for 2000 miles and noticed no performance gain. I put the stock paper filters back in since I do not trust myself to clean and re oil the K&N

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
So glad I read this thread. Changed my air filters today. Removing the box certainly made things so much easier. I can tell it has been a while since the old filters were changed if ever. They may have been the stock filters.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
So glad I read this thread. Changed my air filters today. Removing the box certainly made things so much easier. I can tell it has been a while since the old filters were changed if ever. They may have been the stock filters.

How many miles on the stock filters?

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
How many miles on the stock filters?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

ummm.. I've changed my filters 4 or 5 times.. How in the heck did you change them with out removing the air box ?? :confused:confused..
All the screws are on the bottom side...

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
ummm.. I've changed my filters 4 or 5 times.. How in the heck did you change them with out removing the air box ?? :confused:confused..
All the screws are on the bottom side...

No way to change them without removing the box. I had all of the front and side screws off before I removed the box.

Armrer

GT Owner
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Arizona
Guys,

Here's an issue I just suffered with K&N filters. I changed out the OE filters with K&Ns and reinstalled my airbox in the car per the manual. Then, I heard a few loud 'pops'. I pulled the airbox, and the the lid cracked around the molded-in threaded bosses. I pulled the K&Ns and they are taller, and a little harder in Shore. That created the stress on the heat-soaked lid (5,700 miles) and popped it. A new assembly (only way to get a new lid) cost me $600. A polite letter to K&N got me a polite 'Buzz Off' reply. STAY AWAY from these, and stick to OE.

ron1416

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2013
Southern California
Guys,

Here's an issue I just suffered with K&N filters. I changed out the OE filters with K&Ns and reinstalled my airbox in the car per the manual. Then, I heard a few loud 'pops'. I pulled the airbox, and the the lid cracked around the molded-in threaded bosses. I pulled the K&Ns and they are taller, and a little harder in Shore. That created the stress on the heat-soaked lid (5,700 miles) and popped it. A new assembly (only way to get a new lid) cost me $600. A polite letter to K&N got me a polite 'Buzz Off' reply. STAY AWAY from these, and stick to OE.

Your experience prompted me to check my air box ( K&Ns installed) , and indeed I found one lug broken. My guess is that the added height of the K&N Filters is beyond the elastic range of the lugs to pull down and seal the two halves of the air box when screwed down tightly (?).
Consequently , it breaks off the lug. I've attached ( hopefully) some pictures of the height difference between the K&N and stock filters ( as best as I can measure it's about 1/8"), and the broken lug. I was able to re-attract the broken lug with some "Plastic Fusion" Hi-Strength adhesive, and it seems to be holding ( see picture).
Thanks for sharing your experience and observations.
Ht Problem.jpg
Broken Ear.JPG
CIMG0003.jpg

ron1416

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2013
Southern California
My Fix to Problem

Without getting caught up in the controversy over the use of K&N Air Filters on the FGT , I'll provide my fix to the problem (if you choose to use K&Ns). I found that simple rubber faucet bibb washers ( 1/4 Flat, 9/16" OD, .15"thick) will take up the gap created by the difference in the heights of the K&N and stock air filter elements when installed between the upper/lower halves of the airbox cover ( see attached picture). This should prevent the cracking of the screw lugs and airbox cause by tightening down on the screws beyond the elastic range of the lugs and airbox .Using weather strip adhesive, I bonded the washers to the screw lugs on the lower half of the airbox . Don't have to bonded them since the washers are retained by the screws , but didn't want any small loose objects that could possibly get ingested into the airbox during installation. The weather strip adhesive stays somewhat tacky so you can easily peel the washers off if you want to remove them later. After assembly I stuck my hands into the cold air intakes and throttle body air ducts and tried verify the seal between the K&N filters and the halves of the air box cover by seeing if their was any relative movement. I could not sense any movement and concluded the filters were adequately clamped down to seal the filters within the airbox.
Can't say it will work for everyone ,but seems to work just fine for me ( but only time will tell).

CIMG0031.jpg
CIMG0095.jpg
CIMG0108.jpg

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Does anyone know if the stock air filter are the cheap paper type? Or, did Ford use a better quality filter in the GT? I'm thinking of getting the two K & N filters as replacements. Any thoughts? Should I expect any performance gains?

The stock air filter element - FA-1682 is the same part as used on the 99-04 Lightning. Because of this parts bin usage it is one of the few bargain GT parts - $19.95 each.

Last edited: