Still Leaking!! Help!

Flyingflip

GT Owner
May 25, 2006
I would sure appreaciate advice anyone can give!
There were a couple of posts on here about leaking transaxle's and I thought
the one about the breather was my problem. I fixed the (Home depot washer) and added a vent tube, No leak from here any more, it now looks like it's coming from the two little Freeze plugs down lower (Yes freeze plugs, on a Transaxle? Why?). I was tired of cleaning and re-checking so I took it to the local dealer. Their Magnificent fix was Silicone the freeze plug holes! Ha! (Their service department leaves somthing to be desired.) Anyway The Blooming thing still Leaks!! :confused
Does anyone have the same problem? Ford tells the dealer that a New transaxle is the soultion, its Ok by me but I really don't want them to install it!
Any Sugestions?

" Thanks "
Flip Cooper

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
That's interesting Flip. I recall reading, from memory, in the technical stickies that someone else sealed these freeze plugs. (I've no idea of their purpose or even where they are located exactly).

I know this is a really silly question, but are you overfilled in the transaxle?

I wonder if the rad/cooler would take up this expansion?

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
I have not seen a blueprint of a transaxle but you will likely find that they are plugs installed because it was necessary to through bore the transmission (ie completely thru and out the case on the other side) so that the final holes could be line bored so that hole A is "in truth" (exact same plane) as hole B. Plugs like that generally driven in from the outside and installed with sealer. The problem is that the only safe way to remove them is to knock them forward (into the transmission case when it is empty). You are not going to reseal them with silicone from the outside and pulling them is very hard although seriously talented welders can zap them with a small nut and use that nut to pull them out. Sometimes.

Flyingflip

GT Owner
May 25, 2006
Leak'ie

Thanks for both of your reply's. (Neilda & Dr. Rob)

Yes your both correct!! Ford calls them shifting fork hole's, (Must be a shaft on the inside) But Why in the world would they not have tapped them and put plugs in them?
No I have not over filled it in fact I have put almost a Quart in since discovering the leak! The car only has 400mi on it! The dealer here in Casper,WY Did not even check it!! it Was a half a quart low when I got it back from them! Man! :confused

I don't think the silicone held, or there may be a crack in the case above them, I just can't tell. Need a mirrior I guess.
You know Doc, I have knocked freeze plugs out of a block before, but they are big! and you can hit them low, then grab'em with some pliers! Theese are only about 3/8" Dia. Tho! If I could get them out, I think I could tap the holes and install some plugs!
I Sure appreciate the help and If any of you here of other's problems or know
the one who posted the Great pictures of his breather! I would be much abliged!!
MAN Theese cars are fast Tho! Huh! :banana

"Thanks"
Flip

Hugh

Mar 27, 2006
jb-weld.gif

Flyingflip

GT Owner
May 25, 2006
Leak!

Hugh,
Congradulations on your GT! You are going to love it! I know top end will be faster than your Haybusa!
I have thought about using JB Weld, I used it on the breather fitting!
to glue in a Push-to-Lock fitting into the end. Then you can put 1/4" hose into it and make sure it doesen,t puke out the top (Which it was)
I think I am going to drill a hole in the plugs, pull them out, then tap the holes
and put plugs in'em!
Thanks for your advise!
Flip

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
[ Ford calls them shifting fork hole's, (Must be a shaft on the inside) But Why in the world would they not have tapped them and put plugs in them?

####They are not tapped as they are thru bored --- they would need to be tapped in complete second operation but, more importantly, they are unlikely to be the correct tap drill size for the pipe thread tap that would be necessary for a pipe thread plug that would self seal

You know Doc, I have knocked freeze plugs out of a block before, but they are big! and you can hit them low, then grab'em with some pliers! Theese are only about 3/8" Dia. Tho! If I could get them out, I think I could tap the holes and install some plugs!

######## .375 is not an appropriate tap drill size and pipe taps are never spiral so the cut theads remain in the cut and/or fall inside

Putting any kind of goop on the outside of a leak never worked for me on anything ever not one time

We are talking about a new car with a warrenty against things leaking aren't we ??????

I

Flyingflip

GT Owner
May 25, 2006
Warrenty,?

You bet your bipie, Doc it is under warrenty, but as I stated in an earlier post,
I don' trust the Ford dealer here to touch my car!
I haven't measured the hole for an exact size yet, but I am going to. I think (know) I can find the right tap, plug, bolt, or somthing I can make work! I have made plugs out of a cut off bolt before, and made a copper washer to under the head, Worked Great! and Looks Good!

" Thanks "
Flip