Sticky: Ford GT Center Console Removal Procedure

jerrykgt

GT Owner
Jan 28, 2015
Orlando, Florida
I just replaced the center console in my 2006 Ford GT and thought I would share a step-by-step removal procedure to help other GT owners. The service manual helped a little but I hope my real-world description is more useful to fellow GT owners.

1. Loosen the retaining nut under the shift ball with a 16 mm open end wrench. Unscrew and remove the shift ball and retaining nut.

2. Carefully pull up on the round rubber boot at the base of the shift rod....slide the rubber boot up and over the shift rod to remove.

3. Insert a small flat blade screwdriver at the seam on the top of the console where the parking brake surround bezel contacts the console. Carefully pry up the parking brake bezel...and slide over parking brake lever to remove bezel.

4. Push both seats to the most forward seating position to gain access to the large black Smart Junction Box cover at the rear of the console.

5. Unscrew the (6) Torx screws (3 on each side of the cover) with a # 25 Torx screw driver. Remove the cover from the vehicle.

6. Remove the black side covers on either side of the console by inserting a small flat blade screwdriver between the silver console and the covers and carefully prying outwards towards the seats. The covers are held in place by velcro tabs (no screws)....pry carefully along the length of the console and the (5) velcro tabs on each side panel will release the side panels.

7. With the side of the console now exposed...remove (8) Torx screws (4 on each side of console) with a # 20 Torx screw driver.

8. Pull the parking brake lever back to the rear most travel position....necessary to enable console to lift up and over the brake lever.

9. Lift the rear of the console upwards to gain enough height to access the gray wiring connector under the console for the A/C controls.

10. Push in on small plastic tab at the base of the gray electrical connector to release the plug connection.

11. The console is now free to remove...be careful and don't scratch the dash or console as you lift it up and over the shift rod and parking brake lever and remove it from the vehicle.

Jerry Kircher 2006 Ford GT Midnight Blue with White Stripes & All Options

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I just did most of this two days ago to fix my heater control. Can avoid steps 1-3 and just lift the center console to fish around for the three small phillips head screws holding the Vantage Air plastic control module (with all the air control knobs and push buttons). Also had to remove Torx screws and ground wire to the sub woofer. This was a repeat of a warranty repair. The thermostat knob has a set screw with it's head down below the circuit board, holding a cylindrical spacer that serves as a guide and stop for the knob. This had backed out (again) and dropped out when I pulled the module out. Used a dab of glue on the set screw this time. Just be careful lining screw holes up. Took a little over an hour.

Last edited: