Sticking/Faulty Fuel Gauge

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I've had a quick search and didn't find this anywhere else....

Just come back from a 400 mile round trip (lovely sunshine, lovely GT :biggrin ).

However after filling with petrol (gas) the fuel gauge continued to read empty. After about 15 minutes of driving it slowly crept up to the correct reading......

This is not a one off episode as I needed to fill again - same thing, filled to the brim with fuel, gauge on empty (with red warning light on) and slowly crept back up after 10/15 minutes.

Knackered gauge I suspect - however my digital mileometer/trip meter is also out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

N

PS the GT was superb on the road - fantastic!!

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Neilda,

I had the exact same experience the first time I filled up after taking delivery. Went away after I stopped and restarted the car. Havn't noticed it since, but it was just as you described. Try restarting next time and see what happens.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
If you allow the engine to keep running while refueling that is exactly what will happen.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I had the same experience, several times, and the engine was certainly not running during fueling.

I don't remember if my dealer worked on the issue or not, but I don't get to drive the car very often now so I don't know if it still happens.

I had a similar issue where all the gauges stopped working, after a dead battery. After a jump start, I drove for a while and the didn't work. Called my dealer who told me as soon as the battery was fully charged, and I shut off and restarted, the gauges would work. Sure enough, they did. Could be the same issue with the gas gauge. Seems the GT requires a FULL battery for the gauges to properly activate at startup.
Now that is American know how, you couldn't do such a thing if you wanted to, only by accident. :biggrin

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Happens to me every time I fill up. It takes about 15 minutes for it to creep all the way up to where it should be. No big deal, as long as it doesn't show gas when it's empty! :biggrin

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
fuel guage

Mine does the same thing,and I always shut off the engine when I refuel.
Guy

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Just for the sake of clarity, I did not mean to imply that the car was running when I fueled it -- I meant that I started the engine after refueling, noticed the problem, then stopped and restarted. The problem went away. Maybe the "fuel brain" as it reads at the guage just takes some time to update.

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
could be a faulty fuel gauge sensor hook up the OBD II and check for fuel system problems and clear the codes. If that doesn't help send it to the shop or in your garage and check out the sensor.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have an OBD II scanner - hadn't thought to use it! So thanks for the reminder.

I will also try the stop start thing too.... I feel slightly relieved that others have had the same issue.

By the way, I keep it permanently hooked up to the trickle charge - so it's not (I hope) a battery charge issue.

Thanks for the replies - appreciate it.

Neil

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
I have about 5000 miles on mine and the exact same thing happens on occassion. That being said, I don't recall it happening in the last few thousand miles.

Maybe its healed itself. Maybe its alive!

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Neil,

I've had the same issue with my fuel gauge and after speaking with our friends at Roush I learned that it is due to the way the sensor detects the level of fuel in the tank. Apparently it measures the volume in the tank in a different manner that in most other cars and thus causes the gauge to read inaccurately at times. As you know I'm not smart enough to understand even the least technical aspects of the car so I'll leave it to you to contact Roush and get the correct technical explanation on this.

I’m glad to hear you had a nice trip with your GT. Where did you go and were you using your “old granny” driving style that you deployed during our trip to Le Mans? Your spark plugs must be filled with carbon by now.

Guy Fawkes Day must be coming up soon. Have you got your pile of rubbish all ready to burn?

Rob

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
C'mon, Brits, the gauge is set to read gallons, not liters or imperial gallons. It takes a while to make the translation.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hey Rob,

Good to hear from you - hope all is well with you both.......

I drove down to Devon to see my dad who is sadly terminally ill - many on this Forum will have watched, first hand, the death of a parent, it comes to us all. However it's awful to watch a once proud man defeated daily by the constant gnawing of cancer and the small dignities he has to cede to this ugly disease.

The past four weekends I took the Range Rover on this 200 mile, but 4 hour journey (the roads are small and busy). So on the last trip I took the GT to make it more fun for me - I got back home in two and a half hours :biggrin

It is sometimes possible to forget just what a blast the GT is - I often drive it just for pleasure which ususally means fast but not focussed (if you know what I mean). But when faced with 200 miles and a 'mission' the GT is a bloody rocket - also people just get out of the way damned fast too! Such a pleasure to use.

My parents little village in Devon has a Ford dealer - so I took the GT over to them to take a look at. They said they'd never seen one before - the dealership literally shut down while everyone came out to see it....

Well that's my news and thanks everyone for the pointers on the fuel gauge - I am less concerned now that I know a few have had this problem too....