Starting Problem

1931imperial

GT Owner
May 15, 2006
When the car sits overnight sometimes the starter is dead and a push start or jump doesn't help. Sometimes I can lock and unlock with the key fob and it will start. Sometimes I wait a few hours and it starts. I'm inclined to think it's part of the interlock system with the alarm. Ford indicates no service bulletins, etc.; hard to diagnose when it's intermitent. Mine is a late 2005. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
IS YOUR BATTERY FULLY CHARGED? Do you keep a trickle chgr on it when not in use?

Try the usual 2 things: clean the battery ground to be sure THAT'S providing a good ground, and plug your factory trickle chgr in for 2-3days.

DON'T do a QUICK charge. 'Could ruin your battery.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
a push start or jump doesn't help.

push start ?

IS that wise ? :shrug

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Trust YOU!

I didn't wanna bring that up! :lol

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Trust YOU!

I didn't wanna bring that up! :lol

Well ....I wouldn't get finger prints on the clammshell. :rofl

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Aren't the trickle chargers that come with the car designed to stay on the car when ever the cars parked? I was under the impression you can leave them on indefinately as they were automatic and work like any battery tender. I noticed you said 2 or 3 days?

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Jamie,

You are correct as to the use of the factory supplied charger. If the battery is low it may take 2 to 3 days to bring it to full charge and then the charger would act as a maintainer keeping it in a fully charged state. If it will not come to a full charge then I would expect the battery is on its way out.

AJK

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Your symptoms were very similar to mine.

Resolution:
Highly recommend that you sandpaper away some of the paint where the ground strap from the battery connects to the frame. You have to remove the tray under the front hood to have access to the battery and frame.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Aren't the trickle chargers that come with the car designed to stay on the car when ever the cars parked? I was under the impression you can leave them on indefinately as they were automatic and work like any battery tender. I noticed you said 2 or 3 days?

The point I was making was that 2-3 days should be long enough to bring the battery up to snuff, Jamie. Your impression is correct - they can (and should ) be left plugged in anytime the car isn't being driven.

Actually (before Jeeeerzee or some OTHER nitpicker jumps in here:rofl), the factory says plug it in if you're going to leave the car parked for 2-3 wks (or whatever their EXACT stmt is) or more w/o operating it. :cheers

Last edited:

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
EP ... Did you ever unplug your car?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
EP ... Did you ever unplug your car?

SHUDDUP! Jus' SHUDDUP!!! :slap

Woboose

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 2, 2006
Malibu, CA
sandpaper is your answer...

Kingman is spot on:

The ground wire from the battery is connected to a "painted" frame. Bad contact = bad ground = unreliable current = troubles.

Diconnect the lead from the frame. Shine it up. Reconnect (tight) and drive worry free.

Speaking from first hand experience. 5 minutes to fix but 2 months to diagnose. Now pushing 14,000 miles on my '06.

Hope this helps

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
SHUDDUP! Jus' SHUDDUP!!! :slap

Well ... whoever does buy your old car will have a great ride ... but a burnt out battery tender. :biggrin

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
1931 when you say sometimes the starter is dead does it even crank once or slowly? Are the lights in the gauge cluster coming on and going out normally and do the gauges read when you turn the key on? The ground connection to the frame is a problem for a lot of cars so you should check it and the batt needs to be kept charged, but also next time it doesn't start for you pay attention to what the pats light is doing in the gauge cluster. See if it is flashing when you are pushing the start button and nothing is happening. From the way you are describing your problem of completely dead then a few min. later it starts it is possible you have another problem that may be pats system related. Just an idea of something to look for when it doesn't start, but don't rule out a ground issue.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
1931 when you say sometimes the starter is dead does it even crank once or slowly? Are the lights in the gauge cluster coming on and going out normally and do the gauges read when you turn the key on? The ground connection to the frame is a problem for a lot of cars so you should check it and the batt needs to be kept charged, but also next time it doesn't start for you pay attention to what the pats light is doing in the gauge cluster. See if it is flashing when you are pushing the start button and nothing is happening. From the way you are describing your problem of completely dead then a few min. later it starts it is possible you have another problem that may be pats system related. Just an idea of something to look for when it doesn't start, but don't rule out a ground issue.

It has been a while now, but I recall that the car wouldn't turn over one minute...then it would a bit later. All of the lights wouldn't work, except the passenger side rear brake light would stay lit.

There were some other wierd stuff that didn't make sense.

I disconnected the battery and everything worked fine. Drove it a bit...then nothing again.

The sandpapering of the frame corrected this issue.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Well ... whoever does buy your old car will have a great ride ... but a burnt out battery tender. :biggrin

He would have taken it for a drive but didn't have enough cable..... :biggrin

1931imperial

GT Owner
May 15, 2006
starting problem

was passive alarm module.when i finally had to have it towed the dealer found a computer code even tho by the time the tow truck got their the starter was working again.when it was dead starter didnt work period.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
It sounded like a pats problem. Glad you got it worked out. Usually it's the transceiver that goes bad. Haven't had a bad module yet.