spectator -- how did you do it??

Musclecar67

Oct 29, 2006
How did you do it?

I'm 2o years old and car crazy. I'm in college and don't know what I want to do lol. Bottom line is I have expensive taste .... lol, I want to be happy in what I do ,but my dream garage (primary hobby) consists of a 427 Shelby Cobra, and The Ford Gt.... = big $$ so im a bit lost. If you don't mind me asking how did you guys do it ?! What do you do for a living ? I am a desperate college student hungry for knowledge :cheers thanks for everything I wish you all the best of travels and be safe! ~ Rob C.

dan

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Rob
My guess is half the people that own a gt can pay out of petty cash for the car. The other half works month to month to do it.
How do you do it? Take it from someone who is 40 and owns more cars than fingers (Yes I have all my fingers). You work for it. Life is not about how much money you make but how much you keep. I run 4 different businesses and none are even closely related. I do not make allot on each business but all combined I make it work. You need to look at everything as an investment, not just the things you buy but the things you do.
I lived with my parents until the day I got married. It has been a while since I did the math but as I remember I saved about 1200 each month after taxes. That works out to $14,400 yearly, about 18000 before taxes or about $8.65 an hour working 40 hours per week. How much do you make per hour and how much do you spend on drinks?
I work allot more than 40 and will do almost anything to make money, not because I have bills to pay but because I love making the money. If you are the type that wants to get up and go to work Monday to Friday 9-5 and watch tv the rest of the time then it is my opion that you will never live your automotive dream.
Get out and work as much as you can. Do jobs you like to do or you will hate them. Learn whatever someone is willing to teach you, than use what you learned. In life all you really do is trade. You trade your time for cash and the cash for what you want. The more you know the more you can sell. I am sure Bill Gates knows how to flip a burger but he also something I don’t and that is what makes him more valuable then me. The more you know the more valuable you are hence the more money you make. When I started my 3rd business a friend and longtime contractor told me “ the fruit is on the limb” go get it.

All I can hope for here is that I do not sound like your father.

dan

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Rob
I bought my first car dec 7 1984, a 1984 Monte Carlo for $10,740, drove it 100,000+ miles and 9 years. I bought my GT last week. there is a story behind it and I wil tell it after my attorney says I can.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
I worked in a machine shop for 15 yrs at $13.00 hr. and then at age 33 got into farming with $9000 in my pocket to get started. The farming started in 1988 and I made a little money growing cotton, corn, and alfalfa on rented ground. In 1994 I got my PCO license and started my crop spraying business which over several years expanded into other types of ag application. Now I own my ground and grow mainly almonds which have done well for some time. We also do some custom harvesting for several crops. I am a guy that has flown by the seat of my pants and by the grace of God has made some good business & investment decisions. Not to bad for not having a college education. Like our buddy says "annoy a liberal, work hard & get rich". The American dream is alive and well. You can do it too! :thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Medical school, seven years of specialty and fellowship training. Got my first real job at age 37.

futuregtowner

Sep 16, 2006
SE Arizona
Rob,

I always admired people who knew, at an early age, what they wanted to do with their life. I discovered late in my 20's that the hardest thing in life is figuring out EXACTLY what you want to do with your life. Am I a college graduate......yes. Does my older sister have a Masters degree.....yes. Is she dumb as a pile of rocks.....yes.

Here's a secret. Most of the really successful guys I know, did it their way. I live in Arizona and one of my closest friends left high school at 15. (We're both over 50 now.... a little). He owns the biggest business, in his industry, in the state.

I have been lucky, because the harder I work, the luckier I get! There are no short cuts. You will read a lot of the same "threads" from the guys/gals who own GT's and who will respond to your question. I have found that the majority of people I know, who are successful, work at it all the time BECAUSE they love what they do. Life is TOO short to do the things that you don't like to do but unfortunately, we all still have to do those things too. I have been successful in many different occupations and businesses I have owned over the years. I first retired at 42 and took 5 years off. I invented something that literally made me a ton of money. Got bored and went and did something else.

But the key is to find the thing that REALLY turns you on, the thing that makes you want to jump out of bed each day and never come home at nite.

Now, I am retired, again. and developing my real estate holdings at my pace and on the lookout for a GT, too. Can I write the check? Yes indeed. (I am in no hurry because I'm in the middle of building a new house on some acreage we own in southeastern AZ). But it all comes down to this.........someone once said that "if you have your health, you have everything". I say, "If you have your friends and family, you got it all."

Bikes, planes, and cars. I've had them all and enjoyed them a lot. But remember, they are just TOYS!

Last edited:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Here's How

It is really quite simple:

17 years of education

and

35 years of VERY HARD WORK!!

Attachments

• Hunter S Thompson Quote.JPG
    Hunter S Thompson Quote.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 398

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I thought the word was "PLASTICS." (from the Graduate)

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
And That Too!!

fjpikul said:
I thought the word was "PLASTICS." (from the Graduate)
“Um, that right, Kemosabe”.
Tonto

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Education + Hard Work = Success.

I've always worked during school. Multiple jobs during high school, college, and law school. Diplomas, degrees, and licenses provide a foundation, but working in a relevant field helps you make connections, prove yourself and understand how to apply what you have learned. Plus, it's the only way to really know if you will like what you are studying.

I have dual majors from a UC, JD from a private law school, Admitted to the State Bar, Series 7 Securities license, Real Estate Broker's license, advanced certifications in various areas, but they would mean nothing without relevant work experience. I've been able to reach goals in various industries, and have always pursued my career goals with dedication and hard work.

Every job that you do, if you work hard at it and put in 100%, will provide you with experience and resources that you will use in every other career.

When I was 20 years old, I was driving a VW Rabbit GTI that I bought used and drove for a decade, through high school, college and law school. We used to drool over the Ducati motorcycles we would see, and think, "someday..."

Well, I never would have dreamed I would own a supercar, and this is my first, almost a couple decades later from that GTI. But if you are focused and work hard, the world is yours.

Also, I am a partner now, so its not just what you do, but the structure / organization that you do it in, can facilitate realizing your rewards. Are you making money for yourself, or making money for someone else...I've worked in non-profits, government, private, etc., but there is a lot to be said for having an equity interest in the business.

And always treat everyone you work with well. People around me, have helped me, in ways that I would have never expected. I've been thankful for that. Help others when you can, it will pay off. Occasionally, some one will take advantage, but you will also benefit most of the time from just being a decent person.

Learn what you can about investments and saving. When students were signing their lives away to buy things like $3,000 laptops in law school, I was using an outdated used $400 laptop that was a brick and I always had roommates, in average accomodations. I figured every dollar I borrowed in law school, I'd have to repay twofold, so I kept the loans minimal (If $45K is minimal, although I knew most had double that amount). Of course, there is a balance, you have to live too, but if you set realistic goals, and have a strategy to accomplish them, you should have no problem.

Last edited:

rveach

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Stockdale, Ohio
Started working when I was 10 I have been everything from a mechanic to a truck driver, an accontant and now I am a ceo. One thing to remember is every job no matter what if you learn from it will prepare you for the next and make you a better person.
Experience + Education + Hardwork + Attitude = GT

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Education+hardwork+good attitude+ and a little bit of luck ... PD

Oct 26, 2006
Education and a good career would get you where you want to be for sure over time. I think if you want something in your 20's though you would have to own a successful business, or rip some people off at a mortgage office :biggrin

jkgt

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2006
Colorado
I think it has lot to do with pirorities. Many of my friends ask me how I make as much money as I do. I answer " I dont drink very much, I dont smoke, I work and then I work some more. Then after I work I PLAY. Some times the play days out numbers the work days, but not very much. I am 26 years old, own over 10 vehicles including the beautiful GT and love everyday I get to get out of bed and walk to the bathroom. I own and run two businesses.

**Going to school + paying attention + asking lots of questions + working hard + never quiting + Having a great atittude + laughing and enjoying your life to the fullest + a little luck = a very fullfilling life.

Stay in school, laugh, work hard, enjoy life. My .02.

:cheers

dan

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
I never thought there were soo many people like me out there. It is nice to know I m surronded by the likes.
dan

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
jkgt said:
I think it has lot to do with pirorities. Many of my friends ask me how I make as much money as I do. I answer " I dont drink very much, I dont smoke, I work and then I work some more. Then after I work I PLAY. Some times the play days out numbers the work days, but not very much. I am 26 years old, own over 10 vehicles including the beautiful GT and love everyday I get to get out of bed and walk to the bathroom. I own and run two businesses.

**Going to school + paying attention + asking lots of questions + working hard + never quiting + Having a great atittude + laughing and enjoying your life to the fullest + a little luck = a very fullfilling life.

Stay in school, laugh, work hard, enjoy life. My .02.

:cheers

I have a question regarding the businesses you own and run. How was it that you came to own/run these businesses? Was it you were talented in a certain field and then created business around that, was it you knew there was something in your area that was missing (for example, a town with no auto repair, and you opened a shop), did you inherit it, or did you just look at the people around you and figured out what those people would pay for, even if you had no experience in it?

This is a question that I would like to see a few answers to actually, as each may be different. I'm very curious because recently I have been breaking apart everything I see; I see a sign in a shop somewhere and I think "who made the sign, who made the ink for the sign, where did the materials come from, who shipped it here, who put it together, etc..." I know someone started a business for each of those aspects, and has made money doing so, but that doesn't mean they did because they had a fascination with ink.

I work full time and go to school full time, but doing this for several more years and going to law school and becoming a lawyer/attorney seems a bit bland, the prospect of being a buisness owner is much more appealing, and not just because of money. The money isn't what draws me, it's the success, the idea of waking up and saying to myself "I am successful." Not "I am rich."

Thanks in advance for the GT owners who respond, who I hold in the high regards for the simple fact that you all have obviously made some smart decisions and had success in your life.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Don't underestimate the power of a legal education.

I am a former State Prosecutor for arguably the most difficult prosecuting district in the State. That job alone has made any other job appear achievable to me. And I am rarely intimidated in any business situation, as a result of the courtroom experience.

I have since gone on to become a licensed securities firm partner, a Managing Director of a national non-profit foundation, and now a principal in a real estate development corporation. I've test ridden a 168HP motorcycle for BMW on the Nurburgring, 44 laps. So, it's not all boring and bland, being a lawyer. What can you do with a law degree? Anything you want and are willing to pursue.

Legal training is a solid foundation for many careers, not just law. It is a disciplined way of analyzing and critical thinking. There are many successful business people that have legal backgrounds and are lawyers, even if others are not aware of it. I do not generally introduce myself as a lawyer, although I remain actively licensed. I'm sure there are a few lawyers on this forum.

A lot of jokes are made about lawyers, but the truth is, it's a helpful and empowering background. Most of my friends from law school are now successful business owners and the majority are no longer in the direct practice of law, but almost all have practiced traditional law.

If you just single handedly want to make money, there are easier and faster ways. But don't dismiss a legal education as not having tremendous value.

And a powerful option is the JD/MBA combined program, where you can become a lawyer and a business person. But neither degree is necessary to become a successful business person. And owning your own successful business is no easy task.

Last edited:

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
SYCO GT said:
Don't ever underestimate the power of a legal education.

I am a former State Prosecutor for arguably the most difficult prosecuting district in the State. That job alone has made any other job appear achievable to me. And I am rarely intimidated in any business situation, as a result of the courtroom experience.

I have since gone on to become a licensed securities firm partner, a Managing Director of a national non-profit foundation, and a real estate developer. I use my legal expertise on a regular basis in the real estate industry.

Legal training is a foundation for many other careers, not just law. It is a disciplined way of analyzing and critical thinking. There are many successful business people that have legal backgrounds and are lawyers, even if you are not aware of it. I do not generally introduce myself as a lawyer, although I remain actively licensed.

I have pursued and obtained advanced education and degrees and believe my legal education has provided me with the tools to advance in areas that were previously foreign.

A lot of jokes are made about lawyers, but the truth is, it's a helpful and empowering background. Most of my friends from law school are now successful business owners and the majority are no longer in the direct practice of law, but almost all have practiced traditional law.

My current government teacher is also a lawyer, and after talking to him after class several times about his expecince with law I have realized how useful a law degree can be; so it's intresting taking what you have said and putting it parallel to his comments. I know that, if nothing else, the amount of work that would be done during law school would help me; the reading, research, writing, thinking, etc., these would certainly develop my business sense and further my working habits.

If you just single handedly want to make money, there are easier and faster ways. But don't dismiss a legal education as not having tremendous value. I know that I have gotten to where I am today, partially because of my exposure to the law.

Like what? Again, I'm curious, because if it was so easy to make alot of money, why doesn't everyone do it? Everyone I am around, everyone I have ever talked to has followed what seems, to me, like the "typical" path; school, college, work at a standard job and work their way up the ladder at that job and retire in thier late 50's or 60's. So I never see, much less hear, anyone doing different. This is why this forum is so intresting to me, not only because I see my dream car having 1000+hp twin turbo set-ups but because the members on the board are the type of people I have never come into contact with.

And a powerful option is the JD/MBA combined program, where you can become a lawyer and a business person. But neither degree is necessary to become a successful business person either. Owning your own successful business is no easy task

Certainly, I'd love to sit down with an owner and discuss what all is involved. Through reason and logic I'm sure I can think of (and I have thought about it alot) a great number of things that would be involved but I'm positive there are things I have not thought of because I have no experince in owning any type of business.

I appreciate your reply SYCO GT.