Special License Plate

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
FOr those that think vanity plates in the US cost too much read the following. A chap paid $ 880,000 for the number plate F1.

'F1' sold for £440000
Saturday 26th January 2008

Millionaire entrepreneur Afzal Kahn has splashed out a record £440000 for the legendary 'F1' number plate.

The 37-year-old who runs a car design company in Bradford said yesterday: "It stands for Formula 1 and was worth every penny.

"Everyone will recognise my number now. It's a great number on a great car."

The number plate was auctioned by the Essex County Council to raise funds for a charity that will raise the standards of young drivers.

Council leader Lord Hanningfield said: "It will be with some sadness that we will be losing this little piece of Essex history."

The record number plate will be placed on Kahn Design's groundbreaking Range Rover Cosworth, which will be launched soon.

:eek

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Okay...I know it was for charity and all that - but, that's just plain nuts.

I personally know the fellow who has Washington State's "USA-1" plate. 'Wonder what a Wa. St. Chevy fan would pay for that? :skep :bored

($2.75?)

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I have FORD GT on my FORD GT - wonder what its worth!
I also have GT500 on my Shelby and MUSTANG on y F150.
Sold the rights to my BOSS 429 plate for $200 - looks like I got ripped off!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Sold the rights to my BOSS 429 plate for $200...

HOW did you do that? 'Put the plates on a $10 junker & transfer 'em that way, er whut?

The way I understand it, here in Wash. St. one CAN'T "sell" a 'plate to anyone. It has to be transferred with a car. Has that been changed, Ed?

(BTW, the individual with the USA-1 plates was once offered 5 figures for that plate.)

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
HOW did you do that? 'Put the plates on a $10 junker & transfer 'em that way, er whut?

The way I understand it, here in Wash. St. one CAN'T "sell" a 'plate to anyone. It has to be transferred with a car. Has that been changed, Ed?

(BTW, the individual with the USA-1 plates was once offered 5 figures for that plate.)

Larry, there is a document generated by the WADOT that is used to transfer personalized license plates from one person to another - no vehicle has to change hands.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Larry, there is a document generated by the WADOT that is used to transfer personalized license plates from one person to another - no vehicle has to change hands.

'Been changed then. 'Cause "back in the day" ('early 70's when vanity plates were 1st were issued in this state) they didn't have such a form.

Nice to know! Thankee!:thumbsup