So i checked out a car today and need members advices

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Car was in a decently clean shape with 4000 miles and little bit of swirl mark. Obviously no PPF.

I saw one area in the frunk where I saw a spider web cracking on the clear coat and 3 areas of rock chip. One in the front bumper. 2 in the passenger door. Believe all thru the metal.

First of all,
Is this normal and acceptable? I am a perfectionist and i know nothing in life is perfect but i think this may bother me.

Secondly, if I plan to ppf the whole car, can the rock chip area be restored to look like nth has happened there?

lastly, need members recommendation on a solid PPI guy in west palm beach/boca raton area.

thank you!

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
All depends on numbers and the PPI.
Good luck.
Best,
Mark

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
All depends on numbers and the PPI.
Good luck.
Best,
Mark

At what price point can I expect a flawless car?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
$400 K+ Go back and check auction results. Look at Bring a Trailer.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Chips can be repaired well but the common frunk spiders need repaint. If you repaint take pics to show why for later.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Chips can be repaired well but the common frunk spiders need repaint. If you repaint take pics to show why for later.

what will happen to the spider? Can i just leave it as is?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
what will happen to the spider? Can i just leave it as is?
If it's a sunny day car the spiders will probably just increase. If it sees weather you could get corrosion. You don't have to fix it though, just if it bothers you.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
If it's a sunny day car the spiders will probably just increase. If it sees weather you could get corrosion. You don't have to fix it though, just if it bothers you.

What would happen if ppf is applied to it. Also, isnt it plastic underneath? The area of concern is the front trunk area.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
My main question is if it is common to see these flaws in fgt? Or should I look for a different car that is “perfect”?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am extremely uptight about the condition of my car. It isn't flawless and those tiny flaws (like the frunk paint) really don't detract from my experience or how much the public enjoys seeing the car.

Reactions: TORQJNKY

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Flawless? More than $400k for sure.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
My opinions, having put almost 70K miles on my car and doing much of my own maintenance:

First and foremost: It’s a car! Drive it! And if you do, you will get more rock chips. It just goes with the territory. So get used to it and keep your inner perfectionist in check. Otherwise, you’ll be scared to drive it, and that’s no fun.

So it has a few minor blemishes now. It will get more. Make peace with that eventuality. I know, $300K is more than you’ve ever spent on a car before and for that price, you think it should be perfect. That’s sort of how I felt when I spent “only” $200K on mine years ago, but I got used to having rock chips and dinks and you will too. When I display my car, and I put one of those car show signs in my windshield, I proudly note its current mileage and the statement “I’m not saving it for the next guy!” Most people are so wowed by seeing a Ford GT that they never notice the small stuff. And they’re even more impressed that I drive it that much. And let people sit in the drivers seat—especially kids! So put PPF on the door sills to protect them too.

Yes, you can touch up the chips before PPF. Lots of info here and on car care sites of how to fill chips with touch up paint and then wet-sand down to flush with the original paint and then polish. It just takes time and attention to detail. Or you can pay a detailer to do it for you. If you will put PPF over those areas, no need to finish the touch spots with touch up clear coat. However, even with the PPF, Some rocks will penetrate the film. Live with it.

Swirl scratches: if you’re putting PPF over that part, they will be invisible, so don’t spend time trying to polish them out.

Front bumper cover: it’s plastic, not metal. Touch up the chips, it won’t corrode.

Be sure to put the windshield protective film on it too.

Frunk lid: some get that spider web cracking, and some don’t. Mine doesn’t have it. Yes, the lid is fiberglass, not metal, so it won’t cause any corrosion. Up to you if you want to spend several thousand $ to repaint it, but figure out what caused the spider webbing in the first place—is the hinge properly attached and tight? Is the lift strut binding? If it were me, I wouldn’t repaint it, just touch up the obvious chips, put on the PPF and go. I’ll bet the PPF makes it 90% invisible.

Chips in door: yes, that’s metal, so touch it up to protect the metal before applying PPF. .

Questions: What color and options? Asking price?

Last edited:

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
My opinions, having put almost 70K miles on my car and doing much of my own maintenance:

First and foremost: It’s a car! Drive it! And if you do, you will get more rock chips. It just goes with the territory. So get used to it and keep your inner perfectionist in check. Otherwise, you’ll be scared to drive it, and that’s no fun.

So it has a few minor blemishes now. It will get more. Make peace with that eventuality. I know, $300K is more than you’ve ever spent on a car before and for that price, you think it should be perfect. That’s sort of how I felt when I spent “only” $200K on mine years ago, but I got used to having rock chips and dinks and you will too. When I display my car, and I put one of those car show signs in my windshield, I proudly note its current mileage and the statement “I’m not saving it for the next guy!” Most people are so wowed by seeing a Ford GT that they never notice the small stuff. And they’re even more impressed that I drive it that much. And let people sit in the drivers seat—especially kids! So put PPF on the door sills to protect them too.

Yes, you can touch up the chips before PPF. Lots of info here and on car care sites of how to fill chips with touch up paint and then wet-sand down to flush with the original paint and then polish. It just takes time and attention to detail. Or you can pay a detailer to do it for you. However, even with the PPF, Some rocks will penetrate the film. Live with it.

Swirl scratches: if you’re putting PPF over that part, they will be invisible, so don’t spend time trying to polish them out.

Front bumper cover: it’s plastic, not metal. Touch up the chips, it won’t corrode.

Be sure to put the windshield protective film on it too.

Frunk lid: some get that spider web cracking, and some don’t. Mine doesn’t have it. Yes, the lid is fiberglass, not metal, so it won’t cause any corrosion. Up to you if you want to spend several thousand $ to repaint it, but figure out what caused the spider webbing in the first place—is the hinge properly attached and tight? Is the lift strut binding? If it were me, I wouldn’t repaint it, just touch up the obvious chips, put on the PPF and go. I’ll bet the PPF makes it 90% invisible.

Questions: What color and options? Asking price?
Blue car asking 420k. These blemishes are permissible for 300k car but when i am thinking of spending 420k, it does bother me.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Blue car asking 420k. These blemishes are permissible for 300k car but when i am thinking of spending 420k, it does bother me.
Yes, for $420 I’d want and expect it to be perfect.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, for $420 I’d want and expect it to be perfect.

Agreed. I will look for something else. I dont know what it is with rock chips but something of that nature which is irreversible just bothers me. No touch up will make it go back to how it was before.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Agreed. I will look for something else. I dont know what it is with rock chips but something of that nature which is irreversible just bothers me. No touch up will make it go back to how it was before.

blue no stripe car in florida? If so I'd like to own that car also but I feel at current time $420 is a bit high for it, it was 449 i beleive. But it's a buyers market so if someone is willing then it will sell at some point.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Flame suit on. Another observation i felt was that the car felt a little flimsy. Especially the front trunk and clamshell. Maybe because it used lots of reinforced fiber parts to save weight? Today was the first time I actually felt what fgt feels like. Very different from my gt3 rs.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
All of this- exactly.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I’ve owned 3 Porsche GT cars. FGT is stout with a very rigid chassis. A lightweight CF frunk lid and clamshell are gonna flex compared to a P-car big frunk lid and a small engine lid. Different designs. Nothing flimsy about the FGT

Reactions: PeteK and jammer

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
For PPFtry AutoSuperShield in Boca Raton;they did my Pista. They work on many high end cars and are reasonably priced. PM me if you need contact info.

Last edited: