So did anyone ask Ford about removing the radio to install cables?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You guys are toooooooooooooo funny!

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Silverbullitt said:
And after I hooked you up with the hot clamshell girls.

Yes you did.:biggrin
It was my duty to take them for rides.:banana

After all Saleen was gracious enough to take us for rides in thier S7 & Extreme Mustang.:cheers

I know the "Clamshell Girls" did enjoy the GT rides.:thumbsup

Screams and squeals when the red line was hit tells the real story everytime.:wink

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Spirit,

I gave your technique a try, but couldn't feel squat behind the radio on the driver's side. I'm 6'4" and all I got was a back ache. Looking through the "vents" or slots on the side of the center console, I can see the sides of the radio unit. No way right handed I could feel the radio wiring harness or pigtails. I must be doing something wrong. My car is an early '05 and the whole back side of the radio seems covered up by plastic molding. Does the wiring stick out a ways and has to be felt but not seen? Any tips would be helpful, as I do want to connect up my iPod. Thanks, AC

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
ByeEnzo said:
Spirit,

I gave your technique a try, but couldn't feel squat behind the radio on the driver's side. I'm 6'4" and all I got was a back ache. Looking through the "vents" or slots on the side of the center console, I can see the sides of the radio unit. No way right handed I could feel the radio wiring harness or pigtails. I must be doing something wrong. My car is an early '05 and the whole back side of the radio seems covered up by plastic molding. Does the wiring stick out a ways and has to be felt but not seen? Any tips would be helpful, as I do want to connect up my iPod. Thanks, AC
Enzo,
Is your radio the McIntosh? Don't know about the standard radio if it is in a plastic case or not.
You guys got to find the main radio harness cable, thats where the 'pig tails' are taped to. Yes this is a 'feel process', next to impossible to see up there.
It is a chore, not easy, but it is do-able.
If you can't get to the main radio cable from up under the dash on the driver's side, then try it from the passenger's side, it may be easier. I'm sure the location of the cable position varies from car to car.

Last edited:

Townshend

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
The whole back side of the radio seems covered up by plastic molding

After another 30 minutes of trying I found the same thing. I have an 06 with McIntosh and I can't feel the back of the radio to save my life. Could this be a part that they did not put in all cars?

I truly appreciate your write up - My wife sat there and read it to me while I was (this time comfortably - thank you!) trying to find it.

To quote Frank Zappa - "I poked and stroked till my wrists got numb, but still couldn't feel no dynamo hum" :wink

Today I start the hunt for the radio removal tool - Two dealers I called with parts number were clueless. I wish I could just order it over the Internet....

Thank you so much again!

Erick

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Yup, my radio is a Macintosh. I may give it a try from the passenger side. Is the wiring harness for the radio something that runs to the firewall, and if so where? If I could find the far end, I could track it back towards the radio unit. AC

ksracing71

Jun 16, 2006
The radio harness comes out of the radio and plugs into another harness right there behind the radio. If you look behind the opening above the cigerratte lighter (sorry, accessory outlet), with a little flashlight, you'll see 2 plugs. The upgrade plugs into the blue connector and the base into the grey. (this is visible as the car is being built. I haven't looked at a completed car that closely to see if it's visible).

The upgrade has 2 pigtails taped to the harness. Maybe 2-4 inches from the back of the radio. The base has 4 connection points (right,left,front,back) on the back of the radio.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
DUROC

The iPod thing I have is a RoadTrip brand that I got from Circuit city, works great in the GT.

I also bought one for my wifes Jag and it sounds like crap, guess due to anntenna location.