Smoke on cold start

Andy

GT Owner
Jun 6, 2006
I was cleaning the inside of my GT yesterday and decided to pull her out of the garage. When I started her up I had blue smoke come out for 5 to 10 seconds while idling. She gets driven at least once a week and has almost 4000 miles on her. In fact I drove the car on a 150 mile trip two days before yesterdays' start up. The oil was changed at 1000 miles and will be changed again at 4000. Is this normal? I have not noticed this before. I did a search and did not find any other thread mentioning this. Any help would be appreciated. The car is completely stock.

Last edited:

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
This may be related to the blow-by problem, over time an accumulation of oil collects in the blower and intercooler area. You can check out threads on this forum and also try the modular ford forum. This seems to be normal for blown modular ford engines.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Blue smoke could (as you probably know) be oil somehow getting into the cylinder head.

I would put BIG money on this not being the case with your GT - bullet proof engine, carefully driven by a loving owner etc...

Get it checked out if you can - it's probably what Paul says, could even be water condensate evaporating in the exhausts that you think is blue!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Andy, did you park it someplace else, let it cool down, and then just run it for a few minutes when you parked it? Typical Ford effect on this kind of re-start. I have to be careful and run the car around a bit after I wash it cause I see this happen. Only if it's been parked and run for just a few minutes.

Andy

GT Owner
Jun 6, 2006
It was definitely light blue smoke. I have had two Ford Lightning pick ups and have never experienced any smoke either blue or white caused by blower blow-by although I have heard about it. fjpikul, I did run it for about 30 seconds to pull it forward in the garage to vacuum it out. It sat for probably 45 minutes before I fired it up and moved it outside. Your comment makes me feel better since this has happened to you although the car had been sitting for two days so it was cold and cold on the restart. Any thoughts?

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Andy,

Does it do this in Texas as well, or only in Colorado? :biggrin

Stop feeding it that Colorado Cool Aid. :cheers

Oh, and bye the way, drive it more; mileage is good for GT's.:thumbsup

Fred

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Keep us posted Andy - I'd be curious to know what's causing it. Hopefully it's nothing serious....

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I was cleaning the inside of my GT yesterday and decided to pull her out of the garage. When I started her up I had blue smoke come out for 5 to 10 seconds while idling. She gets driven at least once a week and has almost 4000 miles on her. In fact I drove the car on a 150 mile trip two days before yesterdays' start up. The oil was changed at 1000 miles and will be changed again at 4000. Is this normal? I have not noticed this before. I did a search and did not find any other thread mentioning this. Any help would be appreciated. The car is completely stock.

Andy - I had the same thing happen, just last week. My GT has 44k on it. So one time with blue smoke isn't a bad thing. It's my experience with other cars, that sometimes this happens when there is a excess amount of unburned fuel left in the system. Then when re-starting the motor it's in an over rich condition. Back to normal after 10-15 seconds.

I guess that if it happens to me again, I'll have it checked out. But until then I'll just drive it as often as I can.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Andy,

Does it do this in Texas as well, or only in Colorado? :biggrin

Stop feeding it that Colorado Cool Aid. :cheers

Oh, and bye the way, drive it more; mileage is good for GT's.:thumbsup

Fred

Fred, How many miles you got on yours now anyway?

I'm starting to push 8k.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I see water vapor when I start it up but ironically enough Andy, yesterday when I was in a registraiton line I shut the car off due to rising heat, fired it up 2 minutes later and poof! Blue - thanks Jeff for the explanation :thumbsup

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Fred, How many miles you got on yours now anyway?

I'm starting to push 8k.

Only at just a hair under 15,000 - haven't even started it, let alone drive it, since returning from Rally II.

Dang, this working stuff is not good for GT seat time. :bang

I'll never catch Jeff unless I retire.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Only at just a hair under 15,000 - haven't even started it, let alone drive it, since returning from Rally II.

Spirit - retirement is 6 GT Saturdays followed by Sunday! :biggrin

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006

You'll never catch Jeff.

You need to take the MRS. out for dinner as an excuse to roll the GT or vice-versa. :biggrin

If you don't start driving yours again ... I'll pass you before the end of the year. That might be my new thing ... owner of most driven, highest mileage Heritage. Crap I need to get another GT. :willy

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
If you don't start driving yours again ... I'll pass you before the end of the year. That might be my new thing ... owner of most driven, highest mileage Heritage. Crap I need to get another GT. :willy

Never Happen Stevie. :frown

That's My Title For Life. :thumbsup

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
oh that sounds like a challenge!!! :rofl Hey I am only 7k miles behind you and I am prone to road trip as I hate to fly in the cattle cars.