Servicing Ford GT in Manhattan

goalgappa

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2007
New York
Hi,

I will be taking my Ford GT for its first annual service, a year after purchasing it and around 1000 miles.

Any recommendation on where to get it serviced in Manhattan? I can book it into Manhattan Ford (on 11th Ave), but am wary, their salespeople weren't that clued up about the car, so wondering whether getting it serviced there (or any "ordinary" Ford dealer) is a recipe for disaster.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I am in NYC too. Yes, sales were a bit out of it. Had to get mine thru Maine.

some copy/paste from others:

1. Manhattan Ford is the place I go for any kind of service......you must deal with Mustang Mike.....he is very proficient, he would oversee anyone touching any FGT...If you call 1 212-581 7800, then go thru the promps directly to service and ask for him by name. Tell him you are a member of the forum, and that you know me. He is a real nice guy. Nice enough to call you before road testing the car, and getting your permission...I happen to like that.

2. In LI, Able Ford; heard great things here, as well as SVT managment checked and they came up as well. Thinks its a Father/Son team

http://www.ableford.com/ou/rockvillecentre-ford/

3. Armond is the name of another GT certified Tech

Gino, Redgt1442 on the forum go to Manahattan and knows more...

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Absolutely use Manhattan Ford for servicing and speak with Mustang Mike as recommended.

Dave

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
You would actually drive your GT on Manhattan roads with those potholes and taxi drivers??? :eek Mustang Mike must he a helluva mechanic to brave that jungle! :lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha, they can't be any worse than the teeth shattering experience in Michigan.

goalgappa

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2007
New York
Thanks all

Appreciate the responses -- Manhattan Ford it will be for my Gt.

Regards

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
Mustang Mike.....definatley the guy in the Manhattan area..he can do some mods too.....and they'll be under warranty if he does the work......and you always bring it to him............just don't let them "detail" your car there......they used that slimey armor all crap all over the place last time I went......my feet kept slipping around on the floor mats!

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
I don't know about Manahattan, but here in Central Pa i will only use The GTGUYS....I remember all to well the first Oil Change at the Dealer...2 Hours & the car was still not in the air...

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
I don't know about Manahattan, but here in Central Pa i will only use The GTGUYS....I remember all to well the first Oil Change at the Dealer...2 Hours & the car was still not in the air...

I agree.....I will only use the GT GUYS from now on.....the only thing I had done at Manhattan Ford was my inspection and my truck lid wasn't closing all the way. I did have a pretty good talk with Mustang Mike though and he seemed to be very knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the GT...and they did call him downstairs from the service area just to drive the car up...since they (suppossedly) don't let anyone else near these cars..... But having said that I did have to leave the car there for awhile......its tough in this area to find the right people.......I'm jealous of you Michigan folks!
We all know Bob Ida knows these cars......but I'm not sure if he would do regular maintenence or not.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Would you recommend your NY dealership for a rear main seal fix?

John

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Would you recommend your NY dealership for a rear main seal fix?

John

I have brought my car into Manhattan Ford (mustang Mike) a few times. Last month I brought it in because my car has always been running a little hot. After getting it checked at Bob Ida's, he told me that the fans were not pulling enough to be working properly. After calling Mustang Mike, he suggested to bring it in. He found the same problem, called the GT Hotline, or someone at Ford, and was told that the fans were perfect. Not believing this answer, he ordered 2 new fans under warrranty, and installed them. The car run's much cooler. Almost 20 degrees cooler to be exact. I returned the car to Bob Ida (he has some instrument to check how the fans are working) he is replacing the thermostat right now, and changing oil and filter. So to answer you, Bob does maintenance on FGT's. And to answer the guys close to Manhattan, Mustang Mike is a really good guy with ample knowledge with these cars. They sold 8 FGT's, and they have serviced many more from around the tri state area. For all you guys that wonder how to drive an FGT in a place like Manhattan, one has to learn how to navigate around the pot holes, and the GT does a pretty good job of it, even at speed.
Just think of a large scale SCCA solo course, only with a lot of yellow cars all around you..(lol)

Gino

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
In regard to Gino's post regarding fans and air flow. Bob Ida has an air flow meter which measures how much air the fans push through, if memory serves me correctly in CFM.

The interesting thing is that on the many cars he has tested the variances are substantial. Not all cooling fans produce the same air flow rate which is obviously important for cooling. Also it is rare that both fans produce the same flow rate.

If you have high temps it is certainly worthwhile to go to a shop that can measure the air flow and see if there is a problem. Any competent air conditioning shop should have the equipment to do the measurement.

Remember Ford and their Hot Line may not wish to admit to a problem as it could result in a costly recall and/or replacement program.

Dave:cheers