Serial Numbers

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
Is it safe to assume that the last 4 numbers of the VIN is the order that the car was built in? For instance. if the last 4 numbers of the VIN is 0099 then it would have been car #99?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
exactly, and welcome

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
I knew it was probably an obvious question, but I had looked through every forum that I could and could not find any mention of it. I just purchased #311 from a dealer with 8 miles on the odometer and was trying to figure out possibly what month the car was built. Any suggestions?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The VIN doesn't indicate exactly what order the car was built in. When I was at SSV near the beginning of the run, they had yet to build the cars of a few people I know with VINs in the low teens, and were finalizing cars in the triple digits. It's still a close approximation. There are people better informed than I to answer this question more fully.

btw, welcome to the site. :cheers

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
I noticed that my profile says Spectator. I haven't been able to figure out how or if I can change that to GT Owner. I kinda figured that the Admin below your user name means you are one of those smart computer guys that know all of this kind of stuff.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Your wish is DBK's command. Welcome

Dave

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Try this link. It's another thread that discusses build date and ways to find out.

Dave

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108&page=2&pp=10&highlight=build+date

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I know at most factory build plants the VIN's are not in order of build. I saw numbers out of order while I was at the GT plant a month or so ago. The Viper plant also builds out of order.

It could be that a car started in order and then was pulled offline due to a flaw found in a body panel or missing parts. They had many partially built cars at the plant missing a front or rear fender, bumper or other part. They were either sent back to paint or waiting for a replacement part.

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Welcome!

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
Thank from straightening me out guys.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Running man,

I own vin# 1814! The RAC # which is the number off the line on my car was 1749. They did not start with 001 as the 1st car. If you give me your last 4 of the vin I might be able to get an engineer to help me get your RAC #. When the cars ome from the Wixom plant they have the vin # displayed on the windshield as J4 1814 as an example. Below that is a RAC# 1749 as an example. The RAC# is the number off the line. The dealer may remember your numbers if he took them off. Hope this helped!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
When I was curious about the 'real story' about when my car was scheduled to be built, and if in fact there was an order in, I posted on the BLUE OVAL forum.
Within a day or two I received a reply with the complete build info. The folks that answered were Ford employees (I suppose?). You may want to check there for this data.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Punch,
I had a vin, and asked for production info. If you check the Blue Oval site you will see my post and the answer that I was give. Same handle over there as here. Here is the link:-
http://www.blueovalforums.com/index.php?showtopic=18085&st=20
Cheers,
daniel

Last edited:

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Centerpunch,

With my contacts, I was able to assist Runningman with his info. If you private message me your VIN I'll also try to assist you.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Not to get off subject but being a viper owner like you Jerry I was wondering if they offer a GT factory tour like they do the vipers. I have been on several different viper tours with my friend George Farris and he always arranged them.
I would like to arrange one to see the GT, is that something I can arrange and if so how?
Thanks Jamie Furman

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
05 Ford GT said:
Running man,

I own vin# 1814! The RAC # which is the number off the line on my car was 1749. They did not start with 001 as the 1st car. If you give me your last 4 of the vin I might be able to get an engineer to help me get your RAC #. When the cars ome from the Wixom plant they have the vin # displayed on the windshield as J4 1814 as an example. Below that is a RAC# 1749 as an example. The RAC# is the number off the line. The dealer may remember your numbers if he took them off. Hope this helped!

I was lucky enough to have a dealer with the foresight to save all the windshield stickers that came with my car. He even put them on a foamboard in exactly the position that they came off the windshield. The top number you refer to on my car is J4-0298 (correct since my vin ends in 0298). But the number under that is ROT #429 and the last one under that is BIW 4-407.

I believe mine was delayed because of the suspension recall which would explain being later off the line but does anyone know what the ROT and BIW stands for?

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
TEXAS GT said:
I was lucky enough to have a dealer with the foresight to save all the windshield stickers that came with my car. He even put them on a foamboard in exactly the position that they came off the windshield. The top number you refer to on my car is J4-0298 (correct since my vin ends in 0298). But the number under that is ROT #429 and the last one under that is BIW 4-407.

I believe mine was delayed because of the suspension recall which would explain being later off the line but does anyone know what the ROT and BIW stands for?

It is interesting that another owner posted his J4 number same as the VIN and your J4 number is same as the VIN. My Job 4 (J4) is 1217, my ROT is 1214 (a lower number than my VIN, while yours is a higher number!), and my VIN is 1376. It would be very interesting to find out what RAC and ROT stand for.