Sergio Marchionne has died

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
FCA former CEO, who just stepped down last weekend, has died.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/25/fiat-chrysler-sergio-marchionne-dies.html

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
A friend recently wrote a brief and thought provoking piece on Sergio, it was published just before his surgery: https://revsinstitute.org/news/serg...ho-rescued-and-revived-car-companies-his-way/

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
That was an interesting read. Hard to believe the Collier family is still such a dynasty in automobile collecting and history.

He was an amazing icon of automotive manufacturing. Fiat will have a tough time filling his shoes. You have to figure Ford and GM thought nobody would step up to the plate to buy or "take" Chrysler and they would be able to pick the pieces they wanted. I just find it amazing how the car business seems trapped to the effectiveness of the CEO. I don't think there are many other industries that run in such a fashion.

The direction of Ferrari may be changed forever with his passing.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
...... I just find it amazing how the car business seems trapped to the effectiveness of the CEO. I don't think there are many other industries that run in such a fashion..

Oh, there are a few others; Jack Welsh, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Les Wexner who all have/had personalities that shape(ed) their respective companies. But your point is well taken, there is a lot of history with automotive CEO’s. ;-))

Last edited:

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Great Guy. Met him a number of times. Very Friendly and approachable. While many don't agree with is ideas he did a great job for Fiat Chrysler Ferrari.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Good read.
Death will take us all. Giants in industry or a simple person punching a time clock. Getting right with our maker is of utmost importance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Good read.
Death will take us all. Giants in industry or a simple person punching a time clock. Getting right with our maker is of utmost importance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Amen to that...