Seat belt strap snap fastener

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Small annoyance occurred during the Rally this year. The little black fastener that locks the seat belt retaining strap broke off on my driver's side seat. Fortunately, only the 'female' side on the strap (as opposed to the male side in the seat) broke. Should be easy to push out and replace, but unless it's a perfect match to OEM, it'll drive me insane. Does anyone know if this is 1) available as a separate OEM part (unlikely) or 2) where I can find an identical snap? Does anyone know the size off hand in the likely event I'll just have to get a generic replacement?

bigcrown

Jul 8, 2015
Same thing happened to mine. I used gorilla glue and a clamp overnight, and it works perfect and you can't really see the repair.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
My blue car had that issue. I thought it was going to have to be a trim shop repair? Sorry to hear that

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Same thing happened to mine. I used gorilla glue and a clamp overnight, and it works perfect and you can't really see the repair.

That's certainly an option. But the only potential problem I foresee with that is if the glue fails, then I'll have all this glue residue on the strap. And that combined with my OCD would make my head explode.

My blue car had that issue. I thought it was going to have to be a trim shop repair? Sorry to hear that

I don't think so. If the 'male' part of the snap embedded in the seat had broken, that would be a different story.

So, does anyone know the size of the fastener?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Update: probably the only automobile DIY I managed not to FUBAR.

Searched high and low for the specific size and color fastener. No luck. Fortunately, only the cap was broken; the stud/eyelet in the seat was fine. With the socket still useable, I just replaced the cap. So, I got a variety of fasteners from Scovill DOT Fasteners. Not a perfect match, but close enough for my OCD. Slightly larger than the OEM and in matte ('Government') black rather than the OEM gloss black. Part # 93-X2-10127---1B, DURABLE™ CAPS.

http://dotfasteners.stage.thomasnet-navigator.com/item/durable-8482--2/durable-8482-caps/item-1196?

Next, bought a snap fastener plier tool off Amazon. Made for 5/8" fasteners, but again, close enough.

http://www.amazon.com/4D-Tough-Tool...140031&sr=8-1&keywords=4d+tools+snap+fastener

Before :frown

After

:club

If anyone has the same problem, reimburse the shipping costs and I'd be happy to loan you the tool and send you a spare cap.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Oh my Ed. That sticks out like a sore thumb. How do you stand it? :lol

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It is a Ford, so it was likely there was a redneck solution available from Amazon! (Or Harbor Freight)

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Looks great! Now quit biting your fingernails. :biggrin

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Oh my Ed. That sticks out like a sore thumb. How do you stand it? :lol

I'm still twitching.....

It is a Ford, so it was likely there was a redneck solution available from Amazon! (Or Harbor Freight)

Amazon is easier, but I'm sure I could have found something at HF.

Looks great! Now quit biting your fingernails. :biggrin

Ugh. I know. It's terrible. Habit I've had since I was a kid. Even tried that bitter nail polish thingy. Yeah, bit right through that too.:ack

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Nice job.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Amazon is easier, but I'm sure I could have found something at HF.

Yep, and they deliver it to my front door in two days for something like $75(?) a year. I just checked my account today, we've been doing the Prime thing for 7 years. I use it for some really stupid things because the price is the same (or slightly better) than say Walmart, but I don't have to get out of my easy chair :) It was a smokin deal when we lived in Colorado since they didn't collect sales tax there, but they do in NV although it is only state portion I think so still less than going to a brick-n-mortar store.

How many remember when amazon.com was a book store? My wife and I are readers (she was and is, I was sporadically, but starting again) and started buying books from them when they were 1/2 price of Borders. And then they started adding "stuff". Wow. Another guy that deserves his bank balance.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Nice work Ed