Sat. I,am buzzing the Corvette show-AZ

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
Sometimes I can't help myself especially with all those hardcore Chevy fans. This Sat. from 10-3pm there,s a corvette show in Scottsdale (Julio,s Mexican restr.)that I just have to pull out the GT and BUZZ the show.
Show those boys a real legend machine.....ha ha ha...It will be funny watching those heads turn as I crank up the Accufabs and they say WOW now that's a car....
Party crashing the show might be a kick. Do any of you other owners enjoy rolling by a car show or gathering sometimes just for the rush???
The paper states there may be close to 80 vetts there..So I figure 1 GT wont spoil the show.
You guys have any funny stories of rolling by other car shows where its only one brand only shows?...
I just detailed the GT so it will look mmmmmarvelous

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I've brought the GT to a couple of "other Marque" shows. Usually there's parking or a corral for other makes. The GT is generally well received. A couple of years ago I went to an all Italian show and the GT drew quite a crowd in the parking lot. At that show the Pantera and it's designer were being honored...so I kinda fit in.

Went to a Lambo show last spring....same thing...cordial interest in my car. Bowtie guys are pretty hardcore...I have a 67 BB Stingray and show it a lot. So I'm not sure how they will respond if you actually "buzz" them. If you pull up and show interest in their stuff...they will reciprocate. Car guys are car guys. There is a thread right now on the Corvette Forum about choosing between a GT and a ZR1...most of their own guys would prefer a GT if they could affort it. Our cars are respected and admired.

Speaking of Bowtie vs. Blue Oval. I just spent 3 days at Spring Mountain raceway outside of Vegas. Definitely slanted to Chevy with their Corvette school and all. I think I was the only student who didn't own a modern Corvette. One guy owned a ZR1 but also has a GT with only 700 miles on it. The rest were guys with Z-06's. New ZR1 owners get a free 2 day school with their purchase. The ZR1 doesn't do much for me appearance-wise. Unless you are in the know....looks like a Z-06 when rolling down the road.

I definitely had a blast. 3 days of skidpad control, heel-toe exercises, proper trail braking technique, and lots of open lapping.

Attachments

• DSC02677.jpg
    DSC02677.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 247

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
I followed a friend, who is an active NCRS member, into an indoor NCRS judging meet. He was driving a Mosler and I was in the GT. We pulled right into the garage area where the judging was taking place. There seemed to be a lot of studied indifference to the GT :lol. A couple of folks did come over to look at the car and talk to me. I am a fan of old Corvettes, so they reluctantly warmed up to me. I noticed many surreptitious glances at the GT during the day. :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...There seemed to be a lot of studied indifference to the GT :lol...A couple of folks did come over to look at the car and talk to me... I noticed many surreptitious glances at the GT during the day. :biggrin

'Been there, done that too! :lol :cheers

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Well, it wasn't the GT but a Ford powered car nonetheless. I was invited to a Corvette show a number of years back, not having a Corvette I brought my Continuation Series 427 Shelby Cobra.

Won Mayor's Choice trophy. Applause was shall we say "unenthusiastic" from the Corvette guys and they were not too pleased. I of course was smiling from ear to ear. How sweet it was! :banana

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I read this tread on Friday. I guess it put thoughts of Corvette in my mind. Anyway, we had such nice weather in the Sacramento area that I went for a ride. I had at least 5 or 6 Corvette's speed up to check out my car. We all exchanged enthusiastic thumbs up and it added to the pleasure of my afternoon ride. :biggrin

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
I showed up

The weather was great and I parked within 10yds of the show in a parking lot. I had about three Dozen people come over and take pics. The show was a nice gathering of Vetts. I stuck around for about 15mins and then that was enough.
I had one lady said see saw one of these cars at Sebring and see told me twice, she then ask me what kind of car is this? LOL

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I had one lady said see saw one of these cars at Sebring and see told me twice, she then ask me what kind of car is this? LOL

I never could figure that out. "FORD GT" is clearly spelled out in big letters on both sides of the car. :confused :willy

(If I remember right, on 2 occasions I was asked if #1079 was a Ferrari.)

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I never could figure that out. "FORD GT" is clearly spelled out in big letters on both sides of the car. :confused :willy

I went to a Cobra group event at Infineon Raceway and the people directing traffic steered me over to the Ferrari staging area. I had to explain to a number of people my Red FORD GT was not a Ferrari. :confused

Funny thing there were only a few Ferraris there, so the crowd all checked out my car as I was directed to the correct spot.:thumbsup

H

HHGT

Some things I'll never understand. When the Corvette guys show up to the GT events we treat them like car enthusiasts. But when a GT/Cobra/Mustang etc. show up to the Corvette meet the same is not true. :frown

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
funny, I have never felt that at all, and I have a c2

H

HHGT

funny, I have never felt that at all, and I have a c2

That is because you own both smarty pants. I was referring to the corvette or nothing mentality.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
don't you have a c2 split window?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007

I think Billyray has a black NO STRIPE so its very possible it did NOT say GT on the side, ALTHOUGH I do have people ask me all the time, even with the FORD GT on the side, "IS THAT THING ONE OF THEM THERE FERRARI'S" :willy

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, I've had people ask me what the GT is and I point to the rocker panels. One guy then looked and said "Ford GT" whats that?

Thats when you know they are so lost its just not worth the time.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Some things I'll never understand. When the Corvette guys show up to the GT events we treat them like car enthusiasts. But when a GT/Cobra/Mustang etc. show up to the Corvette meet the same is not true. :frown

I asked one of the local 'Vette club members if he figured anybody would give a rip if I attended the local 'Vette get together with the GT. In so many words, and as diplomatically as he could given the fact I'd just blindsided him, he pretty much said he didn't think it would be too cool.:bored

So, on the day of the show, I drove over to the mall (in my p/u) where it was being held to check it out. They had a WHOPPING 23 cars there by actual count...and virtually nobody in the mall wandering over to check out the show at all - which was the mall shopper's loss as there were TWO - TWO - 435/427 '67's there that would knock anybody's socks off (both Canadian cars). Appart from 2-3 other nice "vintage" 'Vettes, that was about the extent of the show.

I r-e-a-l-l-y wanted to wander over to the afore mentioned 'member and quietly opine that a single FGT draws more people when refueling ... but, I simply left w/o saying a word. :cool

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I think Billyray has a black NO STRIPE so its very possible it did NOT say GT on the side...

'Could very well be the case, but, I was referring to my own experiences with #1079. :cheers

H

HHGT

don't you have a c2 split window?

Yes sir. One of my favorite corvettes.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Empty Pockets: I thought the "refueling crowd" was just an anomoly...Wow, I'm not alone...How true. :thumbsup

I've had the same experience with the Vette crowd (not all but the majority I've run into).

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"Some things I'll never understand. When the Corvette guys show up to the GT events we treat them like car enthusiasts. But when a GT/Cobra/Mustang etc. show up to the Corvette meet the same is not true"
&
"I asked one of the local 'Vette club members if he figured anybody would give a rip if I attended the local 'Vette get together with the GT. In so many words, and as diplomatically as he could given the fact I'd just blindsided him, he pretty much said he didn't think it would be too cool."

I don't know what the motivation is for such a mindset, but it definitely is pervasive in the bow tie set. I remember being at Shelby events 30 yrs ago and seeing ist gen Z/28s that "crashed" the show and thinking nothing of it, except that the Z's were cool. Conversely, I recall a bow tie affair with much of the same Z/28 crowd giving the cold shoulder to a couple of killer '69 and 70 Boss 302s that just happened to arrive. I can also recall driving my Pantera to various Chevy and Vette rallies and being dismissed/avoided as well. At least with the GT, the car is so far out there compared to the Vettes (Z06 perfomance notwithstanding), that I think most Chevrophiles can appreciate the fact that this is an honest to goodness American Supercar. Still, I just don't see the same kind of brand idiocy, say with the Viper crowd.