Robertson Racing Rocks

The One

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 19, 2007
Kentucky
Second year, great time for the little team that could.

Attachments

• QTime.jpg
    QTime.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 232

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Very cool!

Is it just me or is anyone else concerned about the differences in speed with these cars? A 13 second spread between the top 15 cars seems very unsafe.

I remember back in the IMSA days when slower cars were constantly getting in the way of the faster drivers and the huge speed differentials caused some pretty major and life threatening/career ending wrecks.

The One

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 19, 2007
Kentucky
Funny you should bring that up, the Robertsons got run over three times last year. Besides the danger to life and limb, the cost of time and hardware.
http://www.robertsonrace.com/videogallery2.html
When IMSA had a large car count, they would run two races. But, I am afraid in these times we are lucky to have one.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Go GT again

We are pulling for the GT "40" big time. Sebring is just a few miles away and is a very historic place for the Ford GT40 of old. We were there just a few weeks ago for the HSR series and it is cool to look up at the winners banners of past and see three outright wins by the Ford. Other than one Chaperral banner I don't remember seeing any other American flag winners. Although they cannot win the outright P1 class they have a decent chance at the GT2 class. Go Ford GT!

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
IMSA ended three careers at Road Atlanta in 1995. Jeremy Dale, Fabrizio Barbozza (?) and my dad's because of their absolutely ridiculous differences in speed.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I agree with Kyle....

The One

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 19, 2007
Kentucky
This type of road racing is my absolute favorite, Because it mimics real road conditions we as civilian drivers meet everyday. Anybody that loves to drive, I figure there a few on this forum, drive a tad over the limit as safe as possible. We encounter obstacles of all kinds including, slower cars, this is the test. Racing will never please everybody all the time, but you know IMSA dose the best it can. We are all learning all the time.

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
Is it just me or is anyone else concerned about the differences in speed with these cars? A 13 second spread between the top 15 cars seems very unsafe.

no worries here. don't forget, they are on track with the P1 and P2 cars which are faster still. the speed difference between classes is intentional, to create traffic situations and keep the racing closer. the speed difference within each class is ... part of the fun of rooting for your driver/marque.

as a spectator, i love it.

as a driver, well in SCCA i curse the slow guys ... not because they are slow but because they are the unpredictable bad drivers.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Back in the '60's, I remember Phil telling me of the huge differences at Le Mans, where, on the Mulsanne Straight (before the kink was put in it) he'd be traveling in the rain at >180 mph, passing little index of performance cars like the DB Panhards which couldn't even reach 100. But, there are rules that the drivers MUST follow if they are driving the underpowered cars, and the fast cars must be be given the rights of way - only in this way can the racing be safe for BOTH - and all drivers. Yes, it is dangerous, but racing will always have inherent risks that must be accepted by the participants.

Remember, in the 60's, the Mulsanne Straight was lined on the left by trees, there was no ARMCO at the Nürburgring, and these were considered the safer tracks. The dangerous ones were the Targa Florio (regular roads around Sicily), Monza which had a terrible surface, and Spa where it could be clear and sunny at one end and a major thunderstorm at the other - on the fastest F1 circuit.

Racing has changed for the better today, as it is much safer for the competitors, and the organizers continue to make improvements - such as the collapsing walls at the Indy-Champ Car events. But let's not forget that there are inherent risks that must be accepted.

Last edited:

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I guess I just view it differently than most considering I've seen my dad nearly killed twice because of these huge speed differences. Once in 1993 at Watkins Glen and a second time at Road Atlanta in 1995.

Racing is without question a dangerous sport/past time. However that doesn't mean it's a good idea to make it even more dangerous. NASCAR is exciting to watch at the restrictor plate races but that's because they're all doing the same speed and it's exciting to watch highly skilled driver's beating their competitors in equally matched equipment.

Just my opinion.

Sorry to the OP for taking away from the original topic. It is very cool to see the GT's doing well on the race track!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
As I wrote, I share Kyle's views. Enough said :)

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Congratulations to all at Robertson! Great job and finish at Sebring!!!

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
:cheers:cheers:cheers

Great Job!:banana:banana

The One

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 19, 2007
Kentucky
Team Robertson is on the move. They got more TV time in that one race than all last year. Their program is on schedule. The car is becoming what it was meant to be. No telling where they would have placed if they hadn't lost 28 min in the pits to make repairs after getting clipped, I figure 4th or 5th place in class. It was cool that Dave put Brabham down a lap to gain one more spot on the very last lap. Not to mention how well he did against the Lizard early in the race. The Robertsons certainly carried their load also. I look forward to this years races, success is so much sweeter when the under dog prevails and its one of our own.