Right hand drive FGT?

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
I'll be moving to New Zealand within a couple of years and, of course, bringing my FGT with me. Does anyone know of a right hand modification available or know someone capable of doing one?
Anyone have experience driving on the left with the FGT, someone in England maybe? Just wondering if it is even necessary to have a right hand mod.
Thanks,
Gimbal

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'll be moving to New Zealand within a couple of years and, of course, bringing my FGT with me. Does anyone know of a right hand modification available or know someone capable of doing one?
Anyone have experience driving on the left with the FGT, someone in England maybe? Just wondering if it is even necessary to have a right hand mod.
Thanks,
Gimbal

I believe in Oz you are required to have a RHD conversion to drive on the road. Don't know about NZ. Hopefully one of our Australian members can help you out.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
In NZ you can get away with Left side, but very hard to negociate the carriage ways. In Oz no way, the conversion is very expensive. Our pal Jasper (may he RIP) researched it and it was close to A$90k

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006
I should imagine anything is possible to do, the conversion would be extremely expensive to do, but my main concern by doing it you might be de-valueing the future classic.

I live in England, and have always said that I would never buy a left hand drive car. Then again, I did not expect Ford to recreate the GT 40. The only problem you will have is overtaking, then you soon start to make allowances for this and get used to it. Save your money, keep the car standard, and bite the bullet.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hey, Gimbal, getchur priorities straight! Move to a country where people drive on the CORRECT side of the road & you won't need to deal with the issue in any way, shape, manner or form! :thumbsup :cheers

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Thanks for all the feedback. All good points to think about.
Passing, that will be an issue. I suppose driving on the left will have many challenges itself. I've done a couple weeks of it and it is a bit mind confusing.
The town I will be moving to has no signal lights just round-abouts and you can zip thru town quite easily. Not like here where there are signals you must wait, even for nothing.
Good thing I ain't going to Australia where RHD is required.

Any ideas on duty, taxes, etc. or a good way to "ship" the FGT?
Thanks,
John

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006
When I imported my car from America, I used Mark Fromm at www.FrommAmerica.com. He is your best bet, and he will advise you on your taxes and he will collect your car and ship it for you. Couple of other members have taken my advice with this guy, and they also have highly recommended him (ie. 911teo).

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Thanks fordcapri, I will look into FrommAmerica.
Gimbal

highway1

Aug 15, 2007
www.montagemotoring.com

His business partner moved to NZ a couple of years ago and is handling RHD conversoins there. Montage contact is Ted Nakayama. Tell him Jon Billings sent you.

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Thanks Jon, looks like a good contact. I think I'll keep it LHD while in NZ but if I change my mind I'll get a hold of Montage. Most feedback seems to be don't convert to RHD and it's not required in NZ.