Ricardo Transaxle Issues - 3rd Gear

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
Gentlemen:

This is a near final update on my 2006 GT that had a complete 3rd gear failure 2 months ago. To sum up the failure, my hand was on the 3rd hear shifter under hard acceleration. At aproximately 120-125MPH, 3rd gear failed as if I had clutched the car. My hand was firmly on the shifter and felt no release or movement.

After numerous suggestions that I needed to replace the Ricardo transaxle, extensive discussions with STILLEN and my best move to date, taking my car to Thomasville, Georgia to Aaron Scott @South Georgia Corvette (229) 226-4447. Aaron is a top notch engine builder and has tackled several GT's with entire engine rebuilds. His team was willing to open my box and attempt to locate the problem and repair without the multi thousand dollar new unit from Ford.

The result was a separation of the two-piece 3rd gear due to a weak weld (announced some time back by Ricardo that they discovered during production). According to Ricardo, they removed all of the weak units before they were installed in retail GT's. I am the second known failure and from the sounds of others on the Forum, there have been others simply replaced under warranty.

In summary, these transaxles can be repaired and for a lot less than a new T/A which will alter your matching number casing. If anyone has similar issues, I highly recommend Aaron and his guys a S. Ga Corvette. Their expertise in adding engine upgrades, tuning and leaving absolutely NO telltale wrench marks behind are second to none.

I plan to attach some photos of the Ricardo apart and hope this helps any of you with a similar gear loss issue.

Thanks agian to all of you who pointed me in the right direction for technical advice and the right people to make this happen.

Attachments

• RICARDO APART.jpg
    RICARDO APART.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 1,606
Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Nicely done pursuing the real issue. Do you have any pictures of the gear weld?

stumeat

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2010
Georgia
Nice to know. I live in south GA. Need to have a GA meet someday.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

+1

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA

MTV8: Yes, I do have pics of the gear and will be happy to share with you next week. Just got her home today after a 220 mile drive from Aaron's shop. Gone to the beach next week and will be sure to send then or possibly tomorrow.

Last edited:

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
Hi STU: I'm a little nervous of S Ga as it parted me with some serious cash!! LOL. Great idea. I'd love to meet a few fellow GT owners in Georgia. Drop me a line if ever in Atlanta area.

stumeat

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2010
Georgia
K. Will do.

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
They do an "Octane and Caffeine" meet somewhere in East Cobb County. Not been there but a friend said there were two GTs last time. We will have to crash the party. Take care.