yozi007

Oct 15, 2005
Bend, Or
40's

How many 40's were built??

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
I think that is a good guess. The actual number I don't think will ever be firmly known.

http://wspr-racing.com/chassis/gt40.htm indicates that there were approximately 140 chassis made for Mark I, Mark II, Mark, III, Mark IV including the J cars.

Other sites ndicate that only 7 Mark IIs were made (the road car) and 12 MArk IVs.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Great write up. It would be fun sometime to have a get together with all of the original GT40's and the new GT's for a weekend event like we do for the Viper Club of America every other year. A few dinners, some tract time, autocross event, road rally maybe.

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
On the bulkheads of the original GT40

I have seen this site before.I was horrified how some GT40s were left to rust. It looks like the deck rails of the Andrea Dorea.
One more reason to buy a new one.
Reminds me as well of a Pantera I saw in Germany that was so rusty I could see through it and see the transaxle from outside the car!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
wallace, I bet you can buy two new ones for the cost of a total restoration of an original.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
I counted the production #'s one day in the shelby registry. 133 real GT40's were made. Thats production of the MK I-IV, MK I-B's, all the road cars, the McLaren 1 off, the AM's/X's and mabey some other weird things they did in the middle.

MK V "safirs" don't count.

Of the 133, there are less than 5 that had been accounted for in the 1997 registry. 1 is still buried under an apartment building in LA somewhere. J-12 is here in Phoenix, has been since the 70's. See it in museums sometimes.

Last edited:

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
50 BMG said:
There are less than 5 that had been accounted for in the 1997 registry. 1 is still buried under an apartment building in LA somewhere.

I hope the owner put the car cover on it, otherwise it might be damaged.
(yuk-yuk)

Oh thou GT40, king of the earth, terror of LeMans, from dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.

too much time on my hands tonight.......