Replacement Clamshell Vents

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
OK. Here are the first prototype non-original style vents.

Need some opinions.

These are still rough, but want to know what you guys think before spending more time / money and maybe going in the wrong direction. I know they need need to fit closer to flush / level, etc,. Just looking more for ideas on style.

These are going with the idea of something not as a direct replacement for the louvers. Those are still in the works.

I have 3 sets at the moment. Also was going to make a pair with double columns of circles, and double colums of elongated ovals (similar to GT-40 style). Also have a set of good old fashioned hot rod louver panels coming.

Should I also continue in this direction as another option, or just head for the direct replacement aluminum that looks original?

What I have noticed is that, naturally, the bigger the opening, the more you see the painted but rough area under the louvers. None of these have any screen / mesh. I was thinking there would probably need to be a screen similar to the side vents / air intakes (behind the door) under the openings.

My favorite are the ones below, with the multiple squares. Plain section in the center helps maintain strength.

I'm feeling the final direction may be numbers 1 and 7.

Let me know your thoughts / opinions

1. Small Squares
2. Ovals
3. Rectangles
4. Circle Columns (to come)
5. Elongated Ovals (to come)
6. Hot Rod Louvers (to come)
7. Original style aluminum replacement

Here is number 1, small squares.

Attachments

• squares1.jpg
    squares1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 438
  • squares2.jpg
    squares2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 448

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Here is number 2, the ovals.

Attachments

• ovals1.jpg
    ovals1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 448
  • ovals2.jpg
    ovals2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 444

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
And number 3, the rectangles.

Attachments

• rectangle1.jpg
    rectangle1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 441
  • rectangle2.jpg
    rectangle2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 436

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Personally I want original style ones but I may be in the minority...oh and I checked mine again last week..and they are warped again thats 2 times in 7K miles..after the accufab and with the whipple :(

matt

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
looking cool. I'm doing some out of ss wire mesh. like the shields on a ferrari.

will post pics when its done.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I did notice that after taking off the originals, putting them back on, then taking off again, I was surprised how loose the nuts were after only one drive. I dd not really "crank" them down just because, but they sure were looser then when put them on...........

I know the point has been raised about checking your nuts :)biggrin), but I am wondering if they may not be warping when the nuts are loose. Maybe tight makes them conform better to the openings and hold the shape.

If you have louvers with no warp yet, I sure would recommend putting a flat washer and lock washer either underneath the current nut or underneath a replacement nut just in case (maybe a lock nut and washer?).

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I'm doing some out of ss wire mesh. Lke the shields on a ferrari.

I had thought about that. Good idea. I think that could really work on the sides - painting is a little sketchy there, so would need to cover up painted area and be open over cut out areas

Would like to see pics when don.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
It's only money.

I would like vents that are made out of aluminum, powder coated black, and visually indistinguishable from the original's. I have in my cache of GT spare parts, two sets of original top and side clamshell vents. It looks to me like machining or casting these vents will be complicated, difficult, and expensive. Kind of like having a girlfriend. :biggrin What price love 'eh.

Chip

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I'd prefer original looking, but the small squares are nice too.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
I think Camilo was spot on with the original louvered design. I would prefer the OEM look painted same as OEM, but in a material that will not warp.

usmcfred

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Oh i'm sure we can have them machined out of aluminum....but the cost is the question...the setup cost for my gas cap alone was $1500 bucks and thats just milling some letters into a freaking cap!!!!! Sheeze...

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I think Camilo was spot on with the original louvered design. I would prefer the OEM look painted same as OEM, but in a material that will not warp.

usmcfred

+1 Flat black would be cool.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Flat black or matte aluminum OE style for me.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Just an update.

I have two shops working on making the OEM style out of aluminum - different methods. Expect to hear something soon about price and feasability (hum.... I guess feasability and price are close to one in the same).

Anyway, stuff is in the works, so be patient.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
I also would like to see it in the original design. Black matt and aluminum. PD

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Update

Just to keep everyone posted.

I have the preliminary discussion done and initial figures for original looking replacement vents to be made in cast aluminum. Probably would be available in pairs or the set of four (the two side and two top vents).

Still discussing two other options. A third (laser cut and stamped) is probably going to be eliminated from consideration, but that is not final yet - just doesn't seem "right" at this point.

If the casting looks like a "go", I'll post a price and see what the interest is. As some of you know that manufacture, the die making is rather expensive, so there would need to be enough interest to make it a feasible project.

Being the proud owner of two vents that wave like the ocean, I really want this to work out.

It's actually too bad the painting under the side vents wasn't better. On my car it is not compete there. I really don't mind the open look without the vents. Kind of reminds me about when we use to open up the side vents on the hood of the '66 Covette big blocks.

Stay tuned. I'll do another update shortly.