renting a GT , where to drive in SoCal?

tribeca

Oct 9, 2006
Before I spunk $150k on a GT, I thought it prudent to rent the car for a day. As I am spending Christmas in San Diego, I found a place that will let me rent one for $1k a day plus $1.60 a mile. Seems fair enough.

The question I have is would any board members have recommendations on roads to drive in the San Diego area (and desert areas to the east), as I don't know California well. Thanks.

H

HHGT

Go 8 East to Julian and back or continue to Borego Springs to the Salton Sea 86S and back to the 8. Watch you speed on 8 near the useless seconadary Immigration check point. Enjoy!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Have fun!

I have seen places asking up to $2995 for a one day rental in Southern CA, so it sounds like $1K is a fair deal.

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
When you get to Julian, head east out of town. Amazing road that plunges out of Julian, and if it's not a weekend should be empty. Desert is empty once your down too, just need a spotter for the rare cop...

tribeca

Oct 9, 2006
Many thanks. I am looking to put about 500 miles on the car duing the 24 hours. Is a trip up to Joshua tree national park worth it?

tribeca

Oct 9, 2006
San Diego Prestige Headquarters are renting the car to me. Based in La Jolla.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
When you get to Julian, head east out of town. Amazing road that plunges out of Julian, and if it's not a weekend should be empty. Desert is empty once your down too, just need a spotter for the rare cop...
And watch out for the CHP helicopters.

HAVE FUN!!

You will be HOOKED FOR LIFE!!!

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Dang! I should buy one just to rent it out.:banana