Removing wheel covers on standard wheels

Dan S.

Oct 7, 2020
I should probably be thanking my wife - she's the one who has to hold the camera and indulges me on this stuff :)

All (4) parts are spoken for - thanks for the interest!!!

Dan

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Hardly stupid, Dan. I think that's great. Super job!
Hi Dan,
That's a great tool you designed and I could use one. I have the BBS cast wheels on my Heritage and take my wheels off for cleaning often. I have been using a large pair of Channel Locks to remove the nut and they are leaving marks. Thanks, Gary Tryhorn

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Actually, I was just getting ready to saw some blocks like your tool and then thought it would be a good project for the 3D printer... 9 hours of print time, ugh.

I printed off 5 parts and am keeping 1 for myself... if anyone wants one please PM me. The filament was already paid for from a previous project so there won't be any cost. **** Update - all the parts are now spoken for, hopefully get some feedback on them and then incorporate the improvements for another run ****

Here is a stupid little video from my youtube channel I shot showing (I hope) how to remove the cap and spinner.

Dan

I got mine today! Thanks, Dan!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Dang. I guess I’ll have to make mine the old fashioned way.

Dan S.

Oct 7, 2020
Here is the final design/3D print of the tool... copies heading out tomorrow to the members that helped me refine it.

I have requested a quote from a local 3D printing company, if the cost comes back as reasonable, I will offer them for sale on this site (not sure if I have permission?) at cost plus shipping.

Dan

Last edited:

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Here is the final design/3D print of the tool... copies heading out tomorrow to the members that helped me refine it.

I have requested a quote from a local 3D printing company, if the cost comes back as reasonable, I will offer them for sale on this site (not sure if I have permission?) at cost plus shipping.

Dan
I'd be up for one
Rob

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016

Dan

Excellent idea and design refinement in a good looking tool. I'd like one when available please --in Mk IV Red with White stripe :) Just kidding, I'll take any color.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Been following this from the beginning, just a little slow to respond.
I fight these on a regular basis.
Would definitely be in for a set, just in case your gauging interest.

Jeff

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Many many thanks to Dan S. for undertaking this project.

Dan sent me his original prototype and the new enhanced version of his tool.

I tested the tool yesterday and it works perfectly, making the sometimes difficult easy.

Dan's creativity and selflessness continue to make this board and members a great community.

Reactions: ByeEnzo

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I'll continue to use the soft coated handles of my channel lock wrench. Has worked well for 15 years.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Many many thanks to Dan S. for undertaking this project.

Dan sent me his original prototype and the new enhanced version of his tool.

I tested the tool yesterday and it works perfectly, making the sometimes difficult easy.

Dan's creativity and selflessness continue to make this board and members a great community.

Agree 100%. I got the updated version today. Will try once my car comes back from Rich’s.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Removed and cleaned my wheels to do the Ahlman Performance Coilover Suspension upgrade.

Found the removal also covered in the 2005-06 Factory Service Manual. Learned a new word, "escutcheon."

escutcheon​

noun

es·cutch·eon i-ˈskə-chən

: a defined area on which armorial bearings are displayed and which usually consists of a shield

: a protective or ornamental plate or flange (as around a keyhole)

IMG_7518.jpg

And added a couple still photos to show the parts.

Used my fingers to twist the covers off, would love to acquire a turning tool if they are available again. Dan?

IMG_7501.jpgIMG_7504.jpg

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Plumbing Escutcheons

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I use the soft coated handles of my channel locks to unscrew the black center piece. Great leverage and easy off.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
This little ghetto assembly works good to loosen / tighten the black plastic threaded internal part, albeit temporary until I can make something permanent (unless I can get one of Dan's?): Three 1x2 pine scraps clamped together:
PXL_20231209_185728838b.jpg