Reminder: Mecum FGT trends at 6.05PM CST 10/12 (today)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
All it's doing for me is driving my insurance rates up.

Debbie downer

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
So your concept is that the wealthy guys that have gotten to where they are for a reason, suddenly go in the category of more money than brains? Did it ever occur to you that most of these people do this as a hobby? Not as a business? Have you ever paid more than you should have for something? You knew you wanted it so it didn't matter, right? Maybe it was $1000 and you paid $1200? Did that make you stupid?

No, its all relative to your income and value perceived. Just because you couldn't, or wouldn't, doesn't make someone else dumb for doing it. Also the GT is a pretty safe bet that within a year it will be worth considerably more that it is now. There are not to many cars that aren't stupid money that can accomplish that.

Bottom line is it is helping our values. So be happy.
Yes, many have more money than brains. The fact that the car may be worth more than what they paid in a year or so after the purchase is completely irrelevant, especially when they can buy the same car same mileage any day of the week for far less, easily.

No, I don't pay more to get what I want...I usually get it for the price I want it; all it takes is a bit of patience. Why would I overpay for something if I don't have to? I much prefer having the money in my pocket than in someone else's. I actually DO look at market value of something before I make the purchase...and I will spend the time to make sure I get it at the right value/ price.

You ever wonder how many of those wealthy people you refer to actually made their own money, and not had it handed down to them?? I know many wealthy people who (fortunately for them) inherited money - because they had no ability to make it themselves; just spend it.

And no, it really doesn't help the value of my GT's...because I'm not selling them at one of those TV entertainment auctions. Mecum and BJ don't drive the sales of these cars in the used car market. They represent less than maybe 1-2% of the GT's sold annually and are completely bullshit prices, having little to do with actual value of the car you would get selling it. How does that help the value of my GT's today?

Go try and sell your GT's for what they get at one of those auctions and see what you get in the end...and be lucky if you see 75% of the selling price getting into your pocket.

But, you're entitled to your opinion, as am I...

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Yes, many have more money than brains. The fact that the car may be worth more than what they paid in a year or so after the purchase is completely irrelevant, especially when they can buy the same car same mileage any day of the week for far less, easily.

No, I don't pay more to get what I want...I usually get it for the price I want it; all it takes is a bit of patience. Why would I overpay for something if I don't have to? I much prefer having the money in my pocket than in someone else's. I actually DO look at market value of something before I make the purchase...and I will spend the time to make sure I get it at the right value/ price.

You ever wonder how many of those wealthy people you refer to actually made their own money, and not had it handed down to them?? I know many wealthy people who (fortunately for them) inherited money - because they had no ability to make it themselves; just spend it.

And no, it really doesn't help the value of my GT's...because I'm not selling them at one of those TV entertainment auctions. Mecum and BJ don't drive the sales of these cars in the used car market. They represent less than maybe 1-2% of the GT's sold annually and are completely bullshit prices, having little to do with actual value of the car you would get selling it. How does that help the value of my GT's today?

Go try and sell your GT's for what they get at one of those auctions and see what you get in the end...and be lucky if you see 75% of the selling price getting into your pocket.

But, you're entitled to your opinion, as am I...

OK I picture myself with money - big money... where and when at an auction and having a good time I might even buy a red car!

What do I see? A Ford GT!

Ok - when I was young I wasn't old enough to be there let alone to see LeMans but I had a Hot Wheel....

Why not - bid on!

life moves on.....................................:beer2:

BTW - Sinovac, I also like that Lincoln :cheers

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Personally, I think there's more to it than just stupid buyers showing up at these auctions. What are the odds that one particularly vehicle model could repetitively and coincidentally go for substantially over retail market value at auction? That'd be one heck of a run of luck finding uninformed buyers with several hundred thousand dollars to spend.

i agree. it is no coincidence that right after home values went up that GT values went up too :biggrin

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I was flipping through duPont Registry magazine. Page after page of thumbnail photos of exotics for sale. At that scale photo the Ferraris mostly blend together, unless distinctive like a TR or 458. But...if there is a GT thumbnail pic in the mix, even in your peripheral vision your eye will lock on it like radar. I will venture that is true for most any eye, not just a GT owner's eye.

F360 Modenas...Ford's performance target for the GT...are going for <$100k.

In a few years, today's stupid money will look like very smart money.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
F360 Modenas...Ford's performance target for the GT...are going for <$100k.

What is this F360 Modena that you speak of? I have a vague recollection of a car by that name.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
If you had $250,000 to spend on a collector car, at this particular point in time, what car would you buy? Many of the big money cars don't have a big margin for increased value.The GT is just starting to take off. I'm hoping the GT is the next Cobra.

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
I would sure like to buy a couple more...lol. One in every color? Lol.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
What other cars are there at the 250-400k mark that are actually increasing in value today? I don't believe that there are any from the Italians, McLaren or any of the Brit cars...nothing American, so what does that leave us?

I have however found out that collector cars not being driven are actually harder to maintain over cars that get used.

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
which is why you should let me have your yellow one...lol.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
which is why you should let me have your yellow one...lol.

Forget it Keith. I sold it to him. If any dealers getting it, it will be me!

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
Lol. I was speaking personally & joking. Lol

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Forget it Keith. I sold it to him. If any dealers getting it, it will be me!
That would be all true - watch that car do a full circle back to you Shelby. Just gonna take a few decades though - LOL

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
What other cars are there at the 250-400k mark that are actually increasing in value today? I don't believe that there are any from the Italians, McLaren or any of the Brit cars...nothing American, so what does that leave us?

I have however found out that collector cars not being driven are actually harder to maintain over cars that get used.

One candidate for increasing value is from the Germans: the Porsche Carrera GT. I own one, and recently began helping a friend search for one as well. They are very hard to come by right now. I called on at least three cars, all of which had been recently sold. One seller from the east coast opined that the CGT had recently experienced what he called a "spike". i gather he was referring to prices. Anyway, i would like it to be true, as this would mean I finally did something right TWICE. (The Ford GT and the Carrera GT.) Only problem is I don't want to sell either. Is it still called an investment if you take it to the grave with you? Hmmm....BTW, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me that this whole FGT auction thing is a well-crafted hoax. Doesn't seem like that's gonna happen, however.