Registration for 1/15/07 Sebring track day

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
You can now register for the 1/15/07 track day at Sebring, FL. Please follow these steps:

1. Go to chinmotorsports.com & click on "Join CMS" (you are making a member account). Fill out all fields & click "Join Chin Motorsports". The next page asks for money. DO NOT PAY! Your "member fees" are waived since this is a private event. Just click "back" at the bottom (or log out). Your information will be saved.

2. Send Mark Hicks an e-mail that you signed up for the Ford GT event (mhicks@chinmotorsports.com). In this e-mail, please list any guests, extra cars, passengers, 2nd drivers &/or if you are using a rental. He will reply w/an e-mail that lists general information & gives you the password.

3. Go to "Member Login" & type in your e-mail & password. "Event roster" will let you see who has registered. "View Registration" lets you see your registration info. It also has the price at the bottom (this is where you pay). You can also update your record, change your password, etc.

4. Review "Tips & Info" on their web site for car preparation and event participation info.

5. At the end of each week I will forward the names of all new registrants to Rich & Dennis of The GT Guys & they will get in touch w/you.

Review of prices:
$1000/driver
$200/passenger
$200/2nd car
$350/add'l driver
no charge for guests

Hotel Reservations
Go to the following website for Chateau Elan:
http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/booking/reservation?id=0604015005&key=E659D
Their # is 800.368.7764. They have rooms for us under the Chin Motorsports group rate of $95/night.

"Inn on the Lake" is another nice hotel in Sebring. They have both regular rooms & suites available from 1/13 - 1/15 (rooms start at $94 & suites are $124-$175). Call for reservations at 863-471-9400.
http://www.innonthelakessebring.com/index3.html

List of drivers registered (as of 9/13/06):
1. Mary Jo (Piccola)
2. Daniel (Bony)
3. Erick (Townshend)
4. Chris (Florida Chris)
5. Eliot (Tachy)
6. Manny (1418)
7. Dirk (Dirk P)

Track car rental option:
Sports Car Driving Experience (www.corvetteschool.net) has 10 Corvettes from their driving school that they will rent out to us. These cars are very well prepared. There are 3 that are race ready (roll bar, 5 pt harness, slicks, etc) & can be rented for $1600. The other 7 are track ready (not street cars & also have the 5 pt harness). These can be rented for $1400. Adding insurance w/a $6000 deductible is an add'l $500. A pro racing instructor must accompany you for $400 if you don't have a SCCA license. If you are interested, please contact Henry Gilbert (954.258.6613).

Blackforest Motorsports has some Grand Am Cup Mustangs & 2005 GT Mustangs (YES, FORDS!) available for track rental use. Please contact Brian Nott at prgrp77@aol.com or 386-547-4465 if you are interested.

Daytona BSI Racing has fully equipped Spec Miata race car rentals that are available for group rental only. If you know a few others who may wish to go this route, you can contact Stu @ 386-677-5778.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
piccola said:
Track car rental option:
Sports Car Driving Experience (www.corvetteschool.net) has 10 Corvettes from their driving school that they will rent out to us. These cars are very well prepared. There are 3 that are race ready (roll bar, 5 pt harness, slicks, etc) & can be rented for $1600. The other 7 are track ready (not street cars & also have the 5 pt harness). These can be rented for $1400. If you are interested, please contact Henry Gilbert (954.258.6613). *add'l costs may apply for insurance & instructor

Just quoted $1600 for street car with race tires. No SCCA license add an instructor for $400 and insurance with $6000 deductable add $500...
Also left message and sent email to Black Forrest, they have MUSTANG GRAND AMS for rent and these cars might make Super B more comfortable.
I wonder if I can return Elvis wig, Elvis glasses and gold chains I bought at Zales?

Not able to lock in hotel reservations till advised details of Saturday-Sunday events...

Did #1 and #2 and await email from Mark..

Called Ch Elan Phone: (863) 655-6252, and was informed even as Starwood guest no rooms in the inn except for the 13th and 14th. Told them I was part of Chin Group... Could not do it on line... Please advise.

Last edited:

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
bony said:
Just quoted $1600 for street car with race tires. No SCCA license add an instructor for $400 and insurance with $6000 deductable add $500...

Not able to lock in hotel reservations till advised details of Saturday-Sunday events...

Bony, thanks for being the guiney pig! :wink I just called Mark to find out what the Sat night room reservation problem was. He will be contacting Chateau Elan today. He recommended giving them a day or 2 to update their computer systems & then try again. (The problem is that the hotel was sold out for Saturday, though Chin Motorsports said they'd hold some of their group's rooms for us.)

Re: rentals...

Blackforest Motorsports in DeLand is another option for car rental blackforestmotorsports.com
They should be less expensive. I will call them this afternoon for details & include them on the 1st post. They have Ford Focus, Mazda Miata, & other SCCA category IT cars.

Daytona BSI Racing also has a place that rents out Spec Miata race cars fully equipped. However, they only rent out in groups, not individually. Still, I'll post info on them as well.

MJ

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Mj,
Sorry for badgering you. When people ask me stupid questions I refer them to this site and let them find the correct answer that applies... :biggrin
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/sjackson.html

My favorite is "Say what again"

Townshend

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Did #1, #2 - Waiting on email from Mark. (Also waiting for hotel web site to be corrected.)

Thanks for the effort!

Erick

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Also did #1 and waiting for reply. Called 800 number and was quoted 90.00 for night of the 13th, but night of the 14th, not part of the "group rate" was 200.00. Booked it anyway, and hope to sort it out after situation corrected.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
TACHY said:
Also did #1 and waiting for reply. Called 800 number and was quoted 90.00 for night of the 13th, but night of the 14th, not part of the "group rate" was 200.00. Booked it anyway, and hope to sort it out after situation corrected.

Tachy, make sure you also send him an e-mail telling him you're w/the Ford GT event.

The hotel situation will be corrected. The girl who handles the discounts was out today, but Mark will contact her in the morning. As soon as he tells me all is well I'll let you guys know. Sorry for the inconvenience. MJ

Last edited:

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I did 1 and 2, guess I'll wait for the hotel thing to work out?

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I called the 800 number for the hotel and was told the same thing.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
track day on hold

Until further notice, the 1/15/07 track day is on hold.

If you've posted that you wanted to register (or have already done so), you should have received an e-mail or PM from me. If not, let me know & I'll give you the details.

I'll send a post as soon as everything is back up.

MJ

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
If anyone can pull it off, you can... thanks for all what you are trying to do. :thumbsup We are grateful :cheers

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
SEBRING 1/15/07 TRACK DAY CANCELLED

I’m sorry to have to report that the 1/15/07 track day has been cancelled.

We had been told the day was set & for 3 wks have been waiting for Sebring to write up & send us the contract (which they said they were doing & which never came despite multiple phone calls). Skip Barber has asked for that day (full 3 day weekend) & Sebring has decided to give it to them instead of honoring their commitment to us. I am speculating that they were intentionally holding off on sending us the contract for this reason. I just spoke w/the GM/President of Sebring. He will discuss the matter w/the track rental people & will call back on Monday.

Sebring did let Chin Motorsports know that 1/1/07 (another Monday) is available. However, that’s right after New Year’s Eve – w/drinking & partying the night before, it’s probably not the best time to take the GTs to the track! Other possible dates (also Monday’s) are: 4/16/07, 5/7/07, 6/11/07, 8/27/07, & 10/8/07.

If they are willing to give us a big discount on another date (for the inconvenience & time/money already wasted), I will consider planning a future event w/them, though the idea of waiting until next summer isn’t too appealing. If not, I will look toward other track events to take my car to (ie, Road Atlanta) instead.

Chin Motorsports is not to blame. They have done everything they can for us & are also losing one of their weekends at Sebring (1/13 – 1/14) to Skip Barber’s driving school. I have been impressed w/Chin Motorsports from a mgmt standpoint & have heard nothing but good things about them from other people. Anything I’ve requested or inquired about they’ve been able to help with.

My apologies to anyone who has spent time rearranged schedules for this event.

(I'll post this on the other thread as well)

MJ

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thank You MJ, you just relieved all my anxiety and guilt that I couldn't make it. Personally, I don't know why you just don't have us all over to your house and let us race around your neighborhood.

Last edited:

Townshend

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
MJ - Thanks for a hell of an effort. Shame we got screwed.

Hopefully something else will come up - Damn - Was looking forward to the GT Guys visit as well.

Again - Big thanks!

Erick

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
MJ, Thanks for what you tried to accomplish, nobody could do it better.
God Bless you!
daniel

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
mj, no need to apologize, not your fault :thumbsup