Rear bumper / fender problem

Technika

GT Owner
Dec 9, 2005
Montreal QC
Hi,

My GT was delivered to me 2 weeks ago. I am in Montreal Canada. Unfortunatly ; it came with a couple of issues.

One of them is that the rear part of the car is not aligned proprely, if you look at the following picture, you will see the major gap between the back part (where the taillights are) and the rear fender ;

gt015re.jpg

If you look at it from the side , it is much worst. hell I event got dead leaves in there (for those who are in Canada)

Anyone has this problem , and how to fix ?

My dealership wont help me because it is in specification. :thumbsdow

thanks

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
It doesn't look any worse than many I have seen. This gap was always problematic. I would leave it alone. You can't see it from the driver's seat at 150 mph anyway.

Technika

GT Owner
Dec 9, 2005
Montreal QC
you have a point...

but at 180 000$ , i would expect more attention to detail !

I will post more pics, but from the back, it looks like the rear is flaring out! :confused

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Alignment

Technika,
The problem is they forgot your stripe! They cannot align the hatch without the stripes! :biggrin

Mine has the same gap as yours and is Tungsten as well. I think most of the cars I have seen have a similar gap, but you could contact the GT Guys and confirm that this is normal or not.

Gap or not, you will love the car.

Don :thumbsup

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
That gap is standard. All of us have it. I always assumed it had to be there for the clamshell to open properly without binding. Anyway, Cindy Crawford has a mole too - she could have a moustache and it wouldn't change the fact she's beautiful!

BTW get that bumper extension off, pronto! About 10 lbs of unnecessary weight

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There are a lot of old posts about this. The alignment is done by moving the rear fascia, not the clamshell, provided the clamshell is closing correctly in all other aspects. In that corner, with the clamshell open, there is a piece of black plastic screwed over the top of the fascia. Remove it, and you will find several screws to loosen including the screws to the aluminum wires holding it to the frame. Loosen them all and then adjust the rear fascia to where it should be for an acceptable fit. You might cover the areas around the screws with blue painters tape first to avoid any scratches in case you slip. I think there are pictures of this somewhere on this forum. Maybe check the archives. you're the first complaint about this in a long, long time as the '06 models seem to have been better at this than the '05.

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Gap

My Tungsten has the gaps but seems to be fairly equal on both sides. The first day I brought it home my wife looked at it and said "you paid how much for this thing, hell the body isn't even straight". It's what's under that clamshell that really matters.

dan

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
mine is the same and I was told that is the way it is period.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
We own a 2005 and has the gap. And the 2006 is perfect. Somehow the 05 always outruns the 06. So there. You can't have it all.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
funat50 said:
The first day I brought it home my wife looked at it and said "you paid how much for this thing, hell the body isn't even straight".

My wife said the exact same thing. You should have heard her when she was helping me push the car off the road when my axle bolts broke! The only thing worse than that was what she was saying after the second time she helped me push the car off the road when the bolts broke again!

Notice my bolts broke only when my wife is in the car...

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Technika did you get your Gt from Fairview Ford?

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
I have delivered 9 GT's and everyone was different. I had three at the dealership at one time and all three were different. I pointed it out to some people on the "GT" team and their resopnse was that this is normal because the panels are all hand built so there will be differences and the is nothing they can do. The customers never said anything so I left well enough alone. Then again most of my customers are not that worried about things like that even though I was.

willis

GT Owner
Oct 12, 2006
Just took delivery of a tungsten gt here in Vancouver and have the same problems with rear body panels lining up well.I suppose that maybe they could fine tune it by leaving it at the body shop for a week or 2 while every "Tom Dick and Harry" paw the vehicle.Im leaving mine alone...maybe the rain will cure it!

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
Mine has similar gap as others, and I don't like it. Unfortunately, there are other cosmetic issues as well, including blemishes similar to fish-eyes around the lower part of the body panels behind both rear wheels, lack of buffing above the head of the passenger on the interior overhead portion of the door, and a passenger door/gasket fit that has the gasket squished up. :thumbsdow

I'm really disappointed in some of the details of this expensive of a car and probably should have had it looked at by the Saleem factory folks while at the MI rally. :thumbsdow

That said, its easy to forget all of that stuff, at least temporarily, punching it and having the tires break loose or hitting 160 out on the four lane just outside of town, or even walking out to the garage to get a beer from the fridge and just seeing that black beauty sitting there, no stripes, side or top, or course! :banana

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The best response i heard is that its an optical illusion: for multi-curvatures of this type it depends on where you are standing; soemtimes the gap seems huge put change your view angle and its less? Was told this is the only way they could get the cam to open, close, lock etc.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Many have had this problem - me included. Mine had a gap (in this area) that you could put your thumb in on one side, and a gap only the tip of my little finger would fit in on the other side. I had it adjusted and it looks fine.

As already mentioned, this area has peculiar geometry - so adjust with care! I had the experts do mine....

We have adjusted the rear fascia, as mentioned to make it better but you notice it more on the lighter coloured vehicles. We just got a 06 white with blue stripes in and the gaps stick out like a sore thumb. :thumbsdow

JAM-GT

GT Owner
Sep 29, 2005
panel gap

I have exactly the same gap issue with my 05. I just had it in the shop this week and asked the guys to see if they could adjust it. They got it closer, but not perfect. They pointed out that my rear clamshell is actually misshapen along the edge where the gap was too wide. When I looked closely, they were right. Somehow the edge ended up with a very slight undulation rather than a smooth curve. Now that it's been adjusted, it's no big deal.