Reality check - Early vs. Late build

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
How can I tell if my 2005 GT is pre or post the early build issues with the A arms and the crankshaft sleeve?

I bought my 2005 White/blue GT with 600 miles on it. A check with the dealer shows no record of recalls on the car. The car is build # 0196. How do I tell? PD

Last edited:

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
With that early a number you very probably had the suspension replaced. It may not show up as a recall because it was held at the factory and not delivered to a dealer until the suspension arms were replaced, therefore it was never officially "recalled". My number 298 has the machined replacement arms but it doesn't show as being recalled either. But it falls right in the date range for the cars held for replacement parts.
Don't let that bother you though. The machined pieces are much prettier than the later forged arms and are just as strong. Jamal Hameedi, the GT Project Manager, told me that they used exhaustive testing and stress tests looking for the right aluminum alloy to use for the recall arms. They are not just off the shelf billet aluminum. We will never have a problem with them.
I think too much has been made about this "early vs late" comparison. They all have their little idiosyncrasies and when they were built has very little to do with it. Drive the hell out of it and enjoy it!! :cheers

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
These issue were on vehicles built in 2004 though? They might be 2005 registered but the door plate will have the build date on it won't it?

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I will take Texas GTs advice and stop worrying and just drive the hell out of it! PD

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I read a post on another site that quotes a Ford ex. stating cars up to 0448 had the recalls done to them. The first few hundred were shipped and the recall work was done in the field. The last few hundred were done at the factory before they were ever shipped.

I believe it was ENZOBTR who told me the machined arms were a very expensive and even higher quality fix Vs the forged production they now install, but they needed to keep production rolling.

The #0448 number is based on the arms issue, of those nobody has said how many got the sleaves. But it is my understanding car #0449 and later had neither of the recalls.

My car is #0448 :smash

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Thanks SteveA. Now lets just drive the wheels off of them! :banana