Rankings Horsepower, Provenance and Uniqueness

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
On the Hot Rod Power Tour is a Pontiac Solstice one-off that is purportedly the "fastest sportscar" (sorry, just quoting) in America.

Regardless of that, it is obvious (and expected) that over the months and years ahead, the horsepower and speed of the GT will be easily surpassed. The GT will be out of production, and its future will be...what it will be.

With an eye toward performance, would you then:
a. Accept this because it is not really why I bought the car.
b. Accept this because I simply will buy one of the faster cars too.
c. Use this as a benchmark for selling/trading the GT
d. Use this as motivation to perform significant performance modifications
e. Drop a 572 crate motor into my Chevy Vega and bolt on Chip Foose wheels

- doc

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I attended day 2 of the power tour in my GT in Gainesville and watched that exact red Solstice with the Z06 motor in it run 10's pass after pass. It was entertaining to watch go down the track to say the least. Now there was definitely no shortage of love for my car being the only GT out there. And I don't think that will change quickly with time.

I bought my car specifically for R&D. So my intentions for it will be different then most. But I am still in awe at the sight of it when I step into my garage every single morning. D I guess would fit me the best out of your option list since on day 2 of ownership with a pulley and me tuning it on the Dyno we hit 618rwhp with 340 miles on the car.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Add more hp. The pistons and rods are rated to 1000 hp according to Manley(they didn't make the pistons). Because the Gt is powered by a "simple" American V8, and it's cousin motor(4.6) has been around for so long, it is very simple and cheap to add considerable hp. The euro cars that the Gt is often compared to require copious amount of $$$$ to get even small performance gains.

The GT will continue to be modded and it's performance will increase.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Choices

My choice -e. if it's a wagon. forget the chipster wheels. Go with something plain with wrinkle walls. Get it to the track and let your right foot have some fun. Of couse the brain must be in gear first. Enjoy yourself ands keep it :bow rubberside down.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I hate Foose wheels. :thumbsdow Don't mind his cars though! :biggrin

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Mine would be choice A. I did not buy the car as the ultimate in performance; I bought it for its historical reference and the fact that it is just an incredible machine (and piece of art).

Regarding Foose wheels. Sorry, that was humor. Foose is a great designer and incredibly talented, but his wheels as just bling (to me).

- doc

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Makes no difference to me. The performance is important but so is handling, uniqueness, styling, and passion. Just returned from high performance driving school at Roebling track...as I have previously learned at the track (VIR), an experienced driver can take 300 hp and wip a novice with 500 hp on the track...I have never cared much for just straight line performance. The GT will be a great car for many years to come, cornering on a track and straight line performance...and the fact that production is ceasing this year will only add to the appeal

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
To this day I can't take my eyes off of a Pantera. Mid engined Ford Muscle. The GT has surpassed that car and will be considered cool long after we are all gone.

I modded my Terminator. The mods were cheap and easy and did not affect the driveability of the car. The Terminator is basically the prior generation to the motor we have in the GT. I guess if it bores me several years down the road the pulley/chip swap will happen.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
eshrink said:
On the Hot Rod Power Tour is a Pontiac Solstice one-off that is purportedly the "fastest sportscar" (sorry, just quoting) in America.
:thumbsdow

I thought the "4-off" GT's with turbo's on them were the fastest cars in America...among others