Race prepared set up a for a GT

RacerXGT

Apr 13, 2006
CA.
I have been Road racing for years
I have Viper set up very nicely
I just got the GT and I would like to do the same and dump the Viper!!!
1st 5 point harness,
2nd Brand of Track Rims and sizes, Track Tires for max grip?
3rd Brake pads
4th Track Shocks,
5th Trans and diff cooler
any kits for a basic roll cage
Appreciate any input
GP

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
First do a serach for each of your questions. There are plenty of threads on each subject discussing what is available, options etc. Keep in mind that the market for items you are asking about is very small and thus items may not be available except on a customized basis. That way you can decide what to do and prioritize your action plan.

In regard to the racing harness you need a 6 point and not a 5 point. There is not sensible way to mount the 5 point without drilling a holes through the floor for the anit-submarine belt. A 6 point utilizes the lap belt hardware and does not require additional holes, which may or may not hold up to the stress.

The trans-axle cooler is available through your dealer. There is a current thread under the tech section discussing this item

Welcome

Dave

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
GP, Where abouts you live in Ca.? I'm in Newport Beach and am thinking of buying another GT and "take it racing" probably with SCCA. I'm gonna have my guys study the thing...

-Kent

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Racer XGT, before you dump the Viper can you let me know which exhasut you think is the best for the Viper as far as a cooler one is concerned? (also a 5%-10% increase in HP would not hurt either)...I have been researching Borla and Corsa so far...

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Track List
An exhaust system that eliminates the stock or Borla muffler. I suggest the Ida Automotive system as it retains the cats and keeps the car street legal. My car is currently running 20 deg cooler and as a result making a bit more power with Bob Ida’s system (thanks Bob!).

Trans Ax cooler. I’ve overheated my unit but the Trans Ax cooler has completely solved this issue.

6 point racing harness. Without something holding you down in the seat you will not bet comfortable with the braking and cornering of this car and forget about heal toe without a harness.

Spare set of front and rear brake pads. My first set of pads lasted about 3 track days. Most Viper folks I talk with get one or two days on their pads. It all depends on how aggressive you are on the track. Stick with the stock Ford brake fluid and pads. Ford fluid has one of the highest OEM boil temperatures. Just bleed the system prior to the track event and you will not have fading issues. [If you still tear up the stock pads sooner than this or find lots of fade then your driving very aggressively or on a track with lots of braking that doesn’t allow the system to cool down. In such a case you need a completely different (custom) set up. Other brake fluids offer higher boil temperatures but very few are DOT 3 approved and any change to another fluid requires an extensive fluid flush process or you may actually decrease the boil temperatures by mixing the two fluids]

Spare set of rims. Suggest going with the stock Forged rims as they are very light weight and strong, easy to obtain from Ebay - someone else on this list or from the Ford dealer and are a direct fit. Plus Hoosier slicks are currently available for the stock rim.

Hoosier race slicks 245x40x18 R6 and 315x40x19 R6. They fit the stock rims, are reasonably priced, easy to obtain direct through the Tire Rack and were extensively tested for use on the Ford GT. These may or may not yet be listed on their web site but they are available so call them directly. Suggest you pay the 15 dollars each (extra) and order them heat cycled.

Shift light. The torque is so flat and the power curve is so linear it’s difficult to gauge your shift point at speed. After seeing the shift light flash many times over the course of several laps then it becomes easier to gauge the proper shift point.

Don’t forget you will need a SA approved helmet. I do not recommend and open face helmet for any application. Just go with a full face helmet with the latest SA approval.

Each of the above items already have a long list of discussion here so search each item if you desire more info.
Enjoy!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
so has anybody put a 4 point rollbar or a rollcage in a GT yet? if so, how did they do it?

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Several Ford “fleet” cars have them installed. They are quite difficult to get in and out of due to the door / roof design on the GT and are not DOT legal. So unless you intend to create a track only car I would not recommend it.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
I went with HRE Competition wheels , 18 x 9 front same as stock, and 13 x 19 rears. Front tires are 265/35/18 and rears 345/35/19 Bridgestone RE05....my car went front from contollable oversteer to horrible understeer...we just put a 275/35/18 on the front and will be able to report Monday or Tuesday....also should have my IDA exhaust installed by then....I did order Hoosiers which should be in any day and will mount on factory BBS wheels and leave at the track.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Do you know how the weight of the HRE wheels compare to the BBS wheels?

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
The fronts weigh about 4 pounds less and the rears about a pound. On the street I can tell no difference in driveability. My hoosiers showed up today. I probably will be able to try both setups next Tues....also hope to have the IDA exhaust in ...

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
The Hoosiers worked very well on the track. Had the car in a slight 4 wheel slide on a few occasions and luckily the back end never stepped out on the track. Turn in, Braking, etc was very predictable. It took me the entire first day to become accustomed to the tires, higher corner speeds, additional power this year, etc.
The Ida exhaust is holding up great. The front brake pads lasted me two days on the track this time around (about 6 x 20 min sessions). The front pads were virtually new when I went on the track so it took a while for them to heat up and fully set into the rotors. After this no fade, no spongy issues. No problems with the stock rotors.
The Trans Axel cooler worked fine. No fluid leaks of any kind.
All around good time!
Highly recommend the Hoosiers, Ida Exhaust and Trans Axel cooler.

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
Track mods

I found the stock brake fluid and pads dont hold up under track conditions. I highly recomend Castrol SRF brake fluid, it's expensive but worth it. Highest boiling point of ANY brake fluid, not just OEM fluids. I also put on a set of Performance friction pads. The next problem was the tires, I picked up an extra set of the lightweight BBS wheels and mounted the Hoosiers on them, they worked great! huge improvement. The trans cooler is also a must. The cars generate a tremendous amount of heat in the engine compartment. I melted my rear license plate frame at the track, it was dripping off! I recently added the IDA exhaust but have not had the car to the track since. It looks like it should help tremendously in evacuating hot air out of the engine compartment. The stock or Borla mufflers both virtually block off the rear screen where air can exit, the Ida system opens this whole area right up.
I suspect the Ida system may exceed the limit of some tracks that monitor sound though, like Limerock w/ a 98Db limit during the week.

Future ideas:
I'm thinking of putting in a couple small NACA ducts onto the undertray in the front of the engine compartment. that will help get some cool air into the compartment which will then be evacuated out the rear. Secondly, taking air out from under the car will improve downforce without extra drag.Although probably not a lot, it's heading in the right direction at least. I would also like to explore opening upthe "fake" brake ducts in the front grill and turning them into functional brake ducts. That should be a nice boost of additional cooling for the front brakes.

Last edited:

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Alignment

I have numbers for the "track alignment" for the GT. Evidently it's the set-up used by Ford when the cars is track tested. (Magazines etc.) Quite a bit different than stock. Had my car done on Friday - but have not had it at the track yet. I had tire wear on the just the out side of the tires with the stock set-up. This gives a bit more nagative camber along with different 'toe' settings.

PM me and I'll forward them.

Gordo.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
FB GT40 said:
...This gives a bit more nagative camber along with different 'toe' settings.

PM me and I'll forward them.

Gordo.

Just so you know, the more negative camber, the more toe out to offset the dynamics of negative camber.