R Compound Tires?

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Picture

This is the best angle i have right now if you want to see another let me know and i can get it to you on monday.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would love to see a close up of the rears, to see how it looks on the standard rim..

Thanks

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Ok, I'll get some better ones

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Bump

Last edited:

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
one of 101 said:
This is not correct...
Also - what happens then when you spin the rears?? ha ha

I am speaking from personal experience.

I personally directed a number of Track tire development tests.

Don’t believe it. Buy some extra insurance and give it a try.

(Normally I do not use or test the brakes while spinning the tires under acceleration).

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I'm confused :willy

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
All Jokes aside, Please do not try this. :thumbsdow

ABS brakes are a wonder full thing. One minuet they can decrease your lap time. The next they can save your life.

All ABS systems become active when you touch the brake pedal hard enough to energize the brake light switch. The system begins to sample the 4 wheel speeds. It does nothing but look at the wheel speed sensors. Unless it see a delta of slippage on one on more tires. Only if it detects a slip or lock up. Will the ABS system intervene with the stopping maneuver.

It is this calibrated rate of allowable slip. That we need to think about. When we start swapping around different size tires. Say we want to use a shorter tire to affect the effective gear ratio. Or in my case there were no 19" race tires. So we used what was available at the time. (Now because of out testing Hoosier has the proper size tire for the GT)

It is more critical on an ABS equipped car that was calibrated for performance stopping as well as safety. Than a truck that has ABS brakes purely for safety.

So go have Fun swap tires, Play hard. Just be reasonable about safety. And keep the ratio of front to rear stager (or Circumference) similar to the production tires. Or the ABS system will get confused. Thinking that there is a slip condition (when there is not because we artificially changed the wheel speed delta with mismatched tire diameters).
The system tries to intervene with the stopping maneuver, with out success. Then things may get bad from here!

I should now say, This is not a Ford GT problem. This would be the case on any performance tuned ABS system.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
CLax...not street legal. I already have them mountd and should be trying them at the track next week....will post results. I am curious how much time I can shave off my lap times..also have the IDA exhaust installed. I will pick it up from the dealer tomorrow. The tech said is is only slightly louder than the stock muffler....that sure is a big box they stuck back there for no reason!!

kosupply

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
I mounted Bridgestone REO5 345/35/19 on HRE 19x 13 rears , which is 2 inches wider than the stock 19 x 11 and have driven probably 20 laps on a 2.5 mile roadcourse www.msrhouston.com with absolutely no problem other than now I have severe understeer vs. controlable oversteer with the stock set up. But there is absolutely no rubbing front which now has 275/35/18 on HRE's or on the rear. They look better than the stock setup. I think SVT did their homework with the stock setup for the strreet. I mounted the Hoosies on the stock BBS wheel and will test them next week...if you want to see pics, email and I will send them to you...I have had a hard time posting photos on this website. my email is kevin@kosupply.net there are also old photos at the track if you go to my website www.kosupply.net and go to links. If you scroll the pics, you will also see Paul Tracy and Mario Dominguez autographing my car. They are Champ car drivers that were at our track testing for the Houston Grand Prix. Both of them wanted to test drive the GT on their lunch break and I obliged...

Last edited:

kosupply

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
MR2........there is no ABS on the GT's

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
kosupply said:

You had better check again. The Ford GT has ABS braking control.

It does not have traction control. ABS and traction control are two different things

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
kosupply said:

:skep ... Indeed there is ABS on the GT, but the changing wheel diameter causing the ABS to have a melt-down story from Mr MR2RACE is not true... what happens to all the people who put 20 inch wheels on their BMW's, Audi's ect.?? I was at a track day where the european GT press car went round with some silly-sized Bridgestones on the rear. That car was driven HARD, and there was no problem with the ABS all day...

Prof:

presscar.jpg

Case closed :wink

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
one of 101 said:
:skep ... Indeed there is ABS on the GT, but the changing wheel diameter causing the ABS to have a melt-down story from Mr MR2RACE is not true... what happens to all the people who put 20 inch wheels on their BMW's, Audi's ect.?? I was at a track day where the european GT press car went round with some silly-sized Bridgestones on the rear. That car was driven HARD, and there was no problem with the ABS all day...

Prof:

presscar.jpg

Case closed :wink
Dear 101
Wheel size will have no effect. It is overall tire height that is in question. As for BMW's, Audi's ECT? I do not know if they have different height tires to start with. Like the GT has.

As for this press car in the photo what is the Front to Rear height ratio?
Did it have the ABS and EVD system by-passed?
If you were not involved in the actual car prep who would know?

I am only trying to help others avoid possible issues. I based my option on facts found in my personal testing. Using testing methods developed in a professional racing environment.

Sorry if I offend any one, Just tiring to help.

101 we could talk at the Dearborn Rally, will you be there?

Now lets have fun

Alex

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well I wasn't trying to cause a stir - I just did't agree with with you..:)

Peace

kosupply

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
I stand corrected....it is the best ABS system I have ever experienced. I guess I was thinking of the traction control and I thought the ABS was absent also because the brakes are awesome. You usually get some push back and I have driven mine hard on the track. Also the IDA exhaust helped with my heat problem. Reduced on the highway from 180 - 170 ...and on the track I did not get it over about 225 - 230...I have had it in the red, but it never went into limp mode. Also the R6 Hoosiers totally changed the car....lost 4.50 seconds on lap tomes..

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Pirelli Tires

Here are some pictures of the Pirelli tires 345x19 on the standard rim.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
californiacuda said:
Here are some pictures of the Pirelli tires 345x19 on the standard rim.

How are those tires working out for you?

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
They stick much better than the stock tires. No problems with rubbing or car abs confusion. With these tires we ran a 10.97 1/4 mile