put 400 miles on a gt today...what a day

tribeca

Oct 9, 2006
First day driving a gt and I am exhausted from its fantastic performance. I rented a car for the day and I owe a thank you to MDT Spirit HHGT Syco GT for pointing me to Julian outside of San Diego for some of the best roads to put a car like the gt through its paces.

What a simply superb car. I had some trouble finding that first gear and managed to embarrass myself by stalling at some lights a top of a hill but overall I found that gear box very accommodating for an average driver like myself. I was also pleasantly surprised by the rear visibility, it's not nearly as poor as many on here have described. The power was unbelievable and something i will never forget.

Everywhere I drove the attention from regular punters was overwhelming. Waving, cheering, thumbs ups, almost too much for a conservative englishman like myself. One potential moment of greatness, a beautiful young girl came over to chat to me as I sat in the car, was ruined by Kenny G being played on the one radio station I was able to tune into in the middle of nowhere in the desert. I couldn't turn the bloody thing off before she ambled up and her smile changed to quizzical smirk and the moment of middle aged coolness was ruined.

The car I rented was offered to me for sale and the thought of joining you fortunate owners is very tempting, but the thought of me, and presumably many other renters, trying to find that first gear on a hill start is too much to bare.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
First day driving a gt and I am exhausted from its fantastic performance. I rented a car for the day and I owe a thank you to MDT Spirit HHGT Syco GT for pointing me to Julian outside of San Diego for some of the best roads to put a car like the gt through its paces.

What a simply superb car. I had some trouble finding that first gear and managed to embarrass myself by stalling at some lights a top of a hill but overall I found that gear box very accommodating for an average driver like myself. I was also pleasantly surprised by the rear visibility, it's not nearly as poor as many on here have described. The power was unbelievable and something i will never forget.

Everywhere I drove the attention from regular punters was overwhelming. Waving, cheering, thumbs ups, almost too much for a conservative englishman like myself. One potential moment of greatness, a beautiful young girl came over to chat to me as I sat in the car, was ruined by Kenny G being played on the one radio station I was able to tune into in the middle of nowhere in the desert. I couldn't turn the bloody thing off before she ambled up and her smile changed to quizzical smirk and the moment of middle aged coolness was ruined.

The car I rented was offered to me for sale and the thought of joining you fortunate owners is very tempting, but the thought of me, and presumably many other renters, trying to find that first gear on a hill start is too much to bear.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah! No problem! Just "pass" on the rental car & buy a new one!!!!!!! Then there'll be no need to worry about how many people before you couldn't find "first"! :rofl

E.P.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
How much to rent? And where did you rent it?
thanks

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Hello Tribeca,

Thanks for taking the time to write the update.

Glad that you had a nice time!

You really should get one. It puts a smile on my face everytime.

tribeca

Oct 9, 2006
the gt cost me a total of $1500 for the day plus milage @ $1.60 (the car without miles was about a grand). I rented it in La Jolla CA.

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
the gt cost me a total of $1500 for the day plus milage @ $1.60 (the car without miles was about a grand). I rented it in La Jolla CA.

Wow, that's not too bad at all! I'll treat myself to this some day.

H

HHGT

Hi tribeca,

Glad to have helped. In the past 20 years, I've visited many military bases, most off the beaten path and got to know many back roads. Some of my favorites are through the SoCal/Arizona/Nevada regions. The Julian road trips have always been one of my favorites. It is also a great mid point between Camp Pendleton and the Marine Air Station in Yuma.

Cheers!

Last edited:

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Sounds like the ultimate experience........but imagine if the beast slept in your garage ! :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Hooked up with some M5'ers that I used to run with. Had a great time running through Valley Center, breakfast at Julian, running through the beautiful valleys, and racing karts at Carlsbad K1 - this morning. Only did 300 miles, but it was a blast. Roads were great, except for a little patch of ice. A little slip of the rear but nothing major.

The 540iT pictured (wagon) is supercharged, with 425 hp.

IMG_1912a.jpg

IMG_1927a-1.jpg

IMG_1928a-1.jpg

IMG_1933a-1.jpg

IMG_1915a.jpg

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
What the hell are you doing on gravel roads? Gave me shivers.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

The drive leader pulled over off there.

Let's just say that will be the last time he leads any drives.

racegirl

my dad and i took his off a gravel road and onto a construction site today! aggh i was flippin out!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
The M5 owners made nice Ford GT door space protectors...

Like travelling with some bodyguards...

IMG_1931a.jpg