pulling out mcintosh head unit.

Swazi

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Northern California
i am about to pull out the mcintosh to hook up my ipod to the rca inputs that are supposed to be on the back of this unit.

are there any tricks to doing this? i assume the console has to come off, just wondering if there are any tips on removing the console. the shop manual was not real specific how the side panels on the console come off.

i had my dealer loan me the metal pieces to pull out the stereo, does anyone know someplace i can buy these metal puller pieces?

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Hey, take some pics while you do it so others can have a reference for later.
The biggest problem I have with this radio is the lack of mp3 cd support.
Would be nice to hook up any sort of mp3 player.

Hmmmm, where would the mp3 player go?

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
monk said:
i am about to pull out the mcintosh to hook up my ipod to the rca inputs that are supposed to be on the back of this unit.

are there any tricks to doing this? i assume the console has to come off, just wondering if there are any tips on removing the console. the shop manual was not real specific how the side panels on the console come off.

i had my dealer loan me the metal pieces to pull out the stereo, does anyone know someplace i can buy these metal puller pieces?

Radio info.

The radio removal tools are available through your local Ford dealer (the dealer can order them from Owatonna Tool Company using part number 415-003).

Attached are the removal and install instructions.

Thanks "G"

Cheers,

Attachments

• radio.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:

Swazi

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Northern California
thanks for the info on radio puller.

i asked my dealer to order the part.

btw, was there any trick to pulling off the console or the side panels or is it pretty obvious?

Zilla57

GT Owner
Jan 6, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Have you ever considered leaving everthing stock and using a monster cable to play your ipod through the radio? My experiences with the monster cable have been very good. Just a thought... sounds a little cheaper and less stressful than what you are about to undertake.

Swazi

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Northern California
actually i have the monster radio transmitter.

just too must interference in this area.

i was meaning to pull the console anyways since theres some metal on metal tapping noise in there around 2500-3000 RPM thats buggin me as well.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Me too!

Here is an old post of mine.:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610

My McIntosh radio crapped out, however, the CD player still works. I am going to see if I can figure out how to pull the radio head without the proper tools today. Guys, please send any additional info on this removal procedure.

I will order the tools from the dealer anyway.

Jay

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
monk said:
btw, was there any trick to pulling off the console or the side panels or is it pretty obvious?

The console is really easy: Six or eight scfreews and it lifts off. I still haven't tried the side panels - I shall follow your progress with interest!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
careful...

WARNING,

When pulling the center console, be careful not to allow it to scratch the center piece that that radio is mounted to! I had to stuff some rags between the two to avoid this. It's harder to remove that it looks. I know from experience. Look at some of the my earlier postings on this matter.

Good judgement comes from experience,
Experience comes from bad judgement...

Call me if you prefer: Jay (949) 366-1211, until midnight

Good luck!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Radio nighmares

I had mentioned that my McIntosh radio had crapped out although the CD player is fine. So late tonight, I had to drag my $40,000 HP spectrum analyzer out to the garage and inject an RF signal right into the unit. Still, NO radio reception, AM or FM bands. this should suggest that RF receiver portion may be bad. It did work for about the first month. I will try and locate a shop that has a pair of tools for proper removal of the radio, and/or go to my local Ford dealer. I am going to talk with my (purchase) dealer about ordering a replacement radio and see if we can swap it out at his dealership. I may have found the awesome Ford parts department, this guy has gone beyond the call of duty, however, I want to put them though the total acid test before I start throwing out any names!

I despise other persons touching my car! Even the kid at the tire shop didn't understand proper lug nut torquing procedures, so when I got home, I redid everything.

I'll keep everyone posted in real-time on this radio problem! Much more good stuff to come, Jay