Peak Torque?

Cool Runnin'

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2005
Miami Beach
Someone asked me the other day at what RPM does the GT develop peak torque. I have to admit that I don't know as I'm not the most spec-savvy GT owner out there I'm sure. Does anyone out know?

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
I don't know either but I would like to see a dyno graph of a stock GT.
It's been said the car has 550 RWHP but no mention of the RW torque numbers.

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
Torque @ RPM (lb ft): 500@3,750

Cool Runnin'

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2005
Miami Beach
Thanks. Here's a dumb follow on question...How does that affect peak performance? Does it have anything to so with when you should be shifting to get peak performance?

Cool Runnin'

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2005
Miami Beach
Awesome, I take it that means that where the curves cross is peak performance shift point?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
All very interesting but not necessarily real world with a production car.

The torque curve in a production car is significantly different. Here are some rwtq numbers 310 @ 2500, 437 @ 2700, 473 @ 4300 & 450 @ 6500
Peak was 473 rwtq. As you can see it reaches big numbers at low rpm and stays there throughout the available range.

RWHP at the same rpms are: 150@2,500, 235@2700, 490@4300, & 551@6500. Peak rwhp was 551.

This was done on a 100% stock engine on a dynojet, CF: SAE smoothing 5. Other conditions were 83 degree temp, 30.26 in Hg, humidity of 11%, and SAE 0.97

It made no difference if the pull was done in 3rd or 4th gear. One pull got as high as 494 rwtq. Also according to Roush / SVT these numbers are extremely representative of production vehicles.

Due to heat soak you need to wait atleast 20 minutes between pulls to get the engine/supercharger temps down.

Dave

Last edited:

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
Thanks Dave, that's what I was looking for.

Do you by chance have the graph of these curves in a form you can post?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
FGT4me said:
Thanks Dave, that's what I was looking for.

Do you by chance have the graph of these curves in a form you can post?

Unfortunately I will not be able to post the graph for many reasons that I would rather not discuss.

I believe that I have presented the only set of dyno numbers for a privately owned, stock at the time of the dyno run, Ford GT. I have made several posts citing the results. If some one else has posted similar information I am not aware of its existence.

If some one is interested they can create a graph that will reasonably follow the actual numbers from the various data points I have provided. As previously mentioned the car is representative of what any customer owned stock GT should produce if dynoed. Some may have better numbers, some the same, and some not as high.

Dave

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
centerpunch said:
But, Mr. Bond, surely you would agree, double-top-secret-probation dyno graphs notwithstanding, that shifting at redline is the fast way, right?

Well since my toga has been taken away I am not completely sure and Miss Moneypenny isn't available today.

But getting more serious the car has a flat torque curve so shift where you want, it doesn't make much difference. But I would not disagree with Centerpunch's comment.

I try to shift just below redline to avoid hitting the cut off. My shift lights tell when when its time to shift.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
at what RPM did you set the shift light to come on? any pictures of the install?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Bony The pictures were up for about 2 weeks and I recently removed them. I reposted it this evening, nothing really special any speed shop can install it.

There are 3 lights; 1 on at 6200, 2 on at 6300, 3 on at 6400.

Dave

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
barondw said:
Bony The pictures were up for about 2 weeks and I recently removed them. I reposted it this evening, nothing really special any speed shop can install it.

There are 3 lights; 1 on at 6200, 2 on at 6300, 3 on at 6400.

Dave
Dave,
Do those shift points produce the fastest acceleration for you or are they set at those points for other reasons?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Saber

I track the car and the points are set so I don't hit the rev limiter/fuel cut-off. Because the torque curve is flat it really doesn't matter where you shift.
Its obviously quicker if you shift at a higher rpm.

Dave

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
barondw said:
Saber

I track the car and the points are set so I don't hit the rev limiter/fuel cut-off. Because the torque curve is flat it really doesn't matter where you shift.
Its obviously quicker if you shift at a higher rpm.

Dave
Thanks Dave,
I figured that the rpm points you had dialed in were set-up for a compromise of power and use on the track but I had to ask.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Hennessey Performance did a baseline dyno on a stock GT. The chart is posted on their website at hennesseyperformance.com.

TEXAS GT

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
TEXAS GT said:
Hennessey Performance did a baseline dyno on a stock GT. The chart is posted on their website at hennesseyperformance.com.

TEXAS GT

Here is the missing link http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennesseyperformance/Dyno.php?cart=FYIRruSH
Scroll down until you see Ford GT

Torque curve is substantially different and shows a drop off at 5,000 rpm while my torque curve remains flat. Also 36 RWHP difference

Dave

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
barondw said:
Here is the missing link http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennesseyperformance/Dyno.php?cart=FYIRruSH
Scroll down until you see Ford GT

Torque curve is substantially different and shows a drop off at 5,000 rpm while my torque curve remains flat. Also 36 RWHP difference

Dave

Should have noticed this before. The Hennessey grapgh is probably a 4th gear pull. 4th gear pulls show a torque drop. 3rd gear pulls do not and the numbers show no significant difference.

Also 3rd gear poulls have a substantially smoother curve. If you look at the Hennessey graph you will see substantial waviness.
Dave