Paint Thickness

Ak3249

Jun 18, 2013
I've been looking to add a Ford GT to the garage for some time now, and am finally going to inspect a car. I was wondering if anyone would know what an unpainted Ford GT should read on a paint meter. I tried looking through past threads and couldn't seem to find this topic, if it has been discussed I apologize in advance and please post the link.

Appreciate any tips or advice, thanks.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Unfortunately, there is no reliable way to determine if a car has been resprayed before or after the factory. Many cars were 'touched up' before they left Wixom, so many non-accident cars will have variations in paint thickness or even presence of overspray.

I second that! After I got my car, I went over it with a paint meter, and thicknesses were all over the place. For instance: thickest paint was 319 on the clamshell right stripe (left was 184 to 230, depending on where the measurement was made); thinnest was 79 on the right side of the rear cross piece between the shocks. Right door top was 239, left was 181 - and so on. Iin other words, paint thickness is probably meaningless.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
I'd agree with Vincent - massive variation on all cars. It drives our detailer mad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
Don't forget, they were painted by hand, not a robot like other modern cars. I've noticed many that have thicker paint starting at the driver's door. Probably because the human subconsciously starts there and works his way around the car. Lol.

Ak3249

Jun 18, 2013
thanks everyone for the quick reply, is there anything else other than the gauges I should look out for?

Thanks

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Best bet is to get an inspection done, where is the car located ?

bobster_rulez

Dec 4, 2012
Get the GTGUYS to inspect best you can get

Ak3249

Jun 18, 2013
Best bet is to get an inspection done, where is the car located ?

The cars in new jersey.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Get the GTGUYS to inspect best you can get

Get a PPI by one of our experts - won't list them here, but you'll find them in many threads!

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
watch u tube there is a ppi that explanes paint thickness too on a gt

Last edited:

Ak3249

Jun 18, 2013
Went and saw the car I was interested in yesterday and unfortunately it wasn't to my standard. The search continues.

Thanks everyone for the help.