Owners; How's the rear visibility?

Pipelion

Of the articles I've read, not enough's been said. Plus I trust you guys more as owners and long time drivers.

I'd appreciate comments on rear visibility on various roads. Freeway, mutilane etc. If an average sedan is an 8 and a 1= can't see anything back there, where does the GT fit.

Thanks,

Allan

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA

JAM-GT

GT Owner
Sep 29, 2005
rear visibility

I think that '3' is a pretty good estimate. Looking straight behind with the rearview mirror is okay, but anything off to the sides is pretty hard to see. For me, it's hard to see anything with a shoulder check to either side. I haven't tried parallel parking yet because it's largely an act of faith. It does force you to pay close very attention to the cars around you on the freeway. I always accelerate a bit (or a lot) when changing lanes just in case.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK

Having reversed mine into a pillar in the paddock at Goodwood, I can attest to the fact! The small mark on the bumper is a good 'war scar' which I don't intend repairing.

Parallel parking should only be attempted by the insanely brave.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Neilda said:

Having reversed mine into a pillar in the paddock at Goodwood, I can attest to the fact! The small mark on the bumper is a good 'war scar' which I don't intend repairing.

Parallel parking should only be attempted by the insanely brave.

I agree with Neilda,
2.5 at best. I really have to carefully rely on the side mirrors and make sure I am going faster than everyone else around me :banana Parallel parking is an act of faith :eek

Pipelion

Well boys,

I didn't respond right away hoping some might have a better opinion of rear visibilty. And if one does, please post, but so far Rocman's 3 was the high mark. What I read wasn't this bleak. Thanks for your honesty. Parking shouldn't be a problem, because if the cars as good as I think, I won't ever stop driving it. :biggrin

Anybody thought of installing mini video cams and monitors like the Saleen?

Thanks for the imput. Something needs to be done. Changing lanes and such shouldn't be guess work. These cars are too nice to bump fenders with!

Allan

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Pipelion said:
Well boys,

I didn't respond right away hoping some might have a better opinion of rear visibilty. And if one does, please post, but so far Rocman's 3 was the high mark. What I read wasn't this bleak. Thanks for your honesty. Parking shouldn't be a problem, because if the cars as good as I think, I won't ever stop driving it. :biggrin

Anybody thought of installing mini video cams and monitors like the Saleen?

Thanks for the imput. Something needs to be done. Changing lanes and such shouldn't be guess work. These cars are too nice to bump fenders with!

Allan

Do a serach this whole subject has been discussed before with suggestions of video cameras.

Dave

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
2.5 is about it as I see it. Rule with thisi car is never look back. When driving on the Hwy and chagning lanes - speed up. When I back it in the garage I rely on the mirrors to center the car and I placed a concrete gutter water diverter that the rear wheels "bump" to let me know where I am.

My one fear in backing up to park somehere is hearing the crunch of the diverter being shortened.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
2.0 at best, waiting for someone to perfect a camera for the GT

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Rear visibility

bony said:
2.0 at best, waiting for someone to perfect a camera for the GT
It sucks and is hell but so what! I guess with this type of car, you can't get everything perfect. You just have to scan the surrounding area before you get in the car and see what potential objects of disaster might be in your way. Of course, you could always have your wife or girlfriend stand outside giving you warnings of dire consequences with loud screams which most women seem very good at! Of the 3 of my cars with this body style, the Murcielago, the Ford GT and the Carrera GT, the Ford GT is the worst very closely followed by the Carrera GT. The Murcie is a point or two higher on the scale. Michael p.s. Forgot to mention, if you go to LamboPower forum, I believe there is a few discussions on rear view cameras that might be of interest! :cheers

Attachments

• Ford GT rear shot 97kb.jpg
    Ford GT rear shot 97kb.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 155

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Hey Magwheel - there are some guys on this forum with some good garage jewelry, but that is a sweet fleet you have!

jtatum01

GT Owner
Feb 27, 2006
South Carolina
Rear View

Well to sum it up it's not great but for lane changes I just speed up and know I can make it .It's All the cars coming up to take a look and a photo that I watch out for , It's a classic to look out the side window and see the family cruiser doing 90 and all the kids giving you the thumbs up it reminds me of the scene in Vacation where Chevy Chase cruises up beside the 308 . It's all good just be careful and have fun. :biggrin

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
jtatum01 said:
Well to sum it up it's not great but for lane changes I just speed up and know I can make it .It's All the cars coming up to take a look and a photo that I watch out for , It's a classic to look out the side window and see the family cruiser doing 90 and all the kids giving you the thumbs up it reminds me of the scene in Vacation where Chevy Chase cruises up beside the 308 . It's all good just be careful and have fun. :biggrin
agree. just speed up. and go change lane is the way to go..

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
You are correct jtatum01,
It is the Suburbans and PU's that drill down on you with their cell phone cameras hanging out the windows that are the biggest menace! :eek

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Fish Eyes

Same experiences as already posted. I did put small stick-on fish eye mirrors on both side mirrors. I use 'em on all of my cars. They've saved me many, many times. I also find that "tuning" your interior mirror carefully is a big help for straight aft viewing.

Pipelion

Too many great posts to reply to each, such as Chevy Chase and the 308 :cheers :rofl, but thanks to all.

Cheers,

Allan

Mini cams are cheap and prevalent not for somone to figure this out. The small personal DVD player type monitors and tiny cameras. Shouldn't be hard.

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Sweet fleet

KJD said:
Hey Magwheel - there are some guys on this forum with some good garage jewelry, but that is a sweet fleet you have!
Thanks KJD, I've really enjoyed the time I get to spend with all of them. Everytime I get in one, it's like a new experience all over again. Michael :thumbsup

Last edited:

Pipelion

magwheel,

Checked out the lambo-power forum, a beyond interesting place. Albofaz is a member too. Graet graphics and wild pics. :biggrin

I'll go back and see if I can find the camera posts.

Allan

Last edited:

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Whops... gave you the wrong web page!

Pipelion said:
magwheel,

Checked out the lambo-power forum, interesting place. Albofaz is a member.

I'll go back and see if I can find the camera posts.

Allan
I think I gave you the wrong web page link for my review of the Ford GT and my other cars. Here's the right page! Sorry for the mistake. Michael :lol

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
What the hell is the matter with ME?

I'm sure it would be nice if I included the link! It must be time for bed! Michael

http://www.jabbasworld.net/viewtopic.php?t=37585&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0