Original FGT owners (that still own their car) that did NOT get order

stephen_becker

Permanent Vacation
Jan 26, 2006
atlanta, ga & charleston, sc
I have gotten so many out-side emails from 05/06 original owners (that still own their car today) about why Ford would not have given us original owners 1st priority consideration when sending out acceptance letters (both times). I am thinking that maybe there are 250 original owners left (???) and out of that number less then half put in an application? I don't know - Any insight you may have please chime in

If you are an original owner of a 2005/06 FGT and you still own the car today AND you applied and did NOT get an offer to order a car please chime in.

SGB

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
I am in that category. Wish it were otherwise, but I expected it to be a long shot.

I think there are WAY more than 250 original owners.

When Raj announced to us that existing GT owners would be given some level of priority in the selection process, the weighting of that factor was not indicated.

The announcement in the Design Studio was greeted with tremendous enthusiasm and expectation, but he did not say that priority would be given to the GT owners in the room. There are literally thousands of GT owners to which that preference extended to some extent.

Those of us for which (basically) ownership was not enough are certainly extremely disappointed, but I think if you step back a little bit from the process, you can see how it pretty much had to go that way.

Just my opinion.

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
I purchased a new 2006 Ford GT from a Ford dealer in Alabama. Liked it so much I purchased a second GT from Shelby at Elite in 2009. Still own both cars. Applied for the new 2017 GT but was told demand surpassed production so no car for you. I do understand Ford's problem of trying to get the new cars into the hands of people that will enhance the Ford brand. I guess we just have to trust Ford's decision making process in the allotment procedure.

stephen_becker

Permanent Vacation
Jan 26, 2006
I am in that category. Wish it were otherwise, but I expected it to be a long shot.

I think there are WAY more than 250 original owners.

When Raj announced to us that existing GT owners would be given some level of priority in the selection process, the weighting of that factor was not indicated.

The announcement in the Design Studio was greeted with tremendous enthusiasm and expectation, but he did not say that priority would be given to the GT owners in the room. There are literally thousands of GT owners to which that preference extended to some extent.

Those of us for which (basically) ownership was not enough are certainly extremely disappointed, but I think if you step back a little bit from the process, you can see how it pretty much had to go that way.

Just my opinion.

Does anybody know how many original owners are left that still own their car today?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Does anybody know how many original owners are left that still own their car today?

The problem with asking this kind of question is that the answer is based on participation here, and I know personally half a dozen original owners that are not Forum members. So you might get a statistical number, but this is by no means a census. Also, some of these people also own more than one car.

stephen_becker

Permanent Vacation
Jan 26, 2006
The problem with asking this kind of question is that the answer is based on participation here, and I know personally half a dozen original owners that are not Forum members. So you might get a statistical number, but this is by no means a census. Also, some of these people also own more than one car.

You are correct -Its like asking how many 2005/2006 FGT's are left in existence

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Count me in this group

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
I am also. I wonder how many also have over 25,000 miles?

Joe

Last edited:

MD530F

May 16, 2006
Paradise Valley, AZ
Myself and a friend in metro phoenix. Both original owners, applied and got the no letter.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I am also. I wonder how many also have over 25,000 miles?

Joe

61,000 deferred letter so far

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
A 12oz bottle won't hold a gallon of water.

Gentlemen,

My numbers may not be exactly right but I bet they are pretty close. I heard that most GT owners applied for the new GT. 70% of the first 500 cars (or about 350) got an allocation. I assume about 250 were "wait-listed". If the same percentages held true then another 175 owners got an allocation for year three. I have no idea how many original owners still have their cars but it's a bunch including me. Even if 100% of new GT's were given to prior GT owners it would still leave the great majority without an allocation. There is just no method of distributing 750 cars to 6500 applicants that is not going to leave the vast majority disappointed. If Raj had not heavily favored existing GT owners I can assure you that instead of 525 of us getting new GT's it would probably be more like 200 if that. If they were shipped to dealers they would be spec'd out by some manager instead of the ultimate owner, tucked into the corner of the showroom surrounded with red velvet ropes and adorned with both a "DO NOT TOUCH" sign and a $500,000 ADM sticker waiting for somebody to call from the middle-east willing to pay $1,000,000.00+ to get it out the door.

Yeah nothing is perfect and yeah I'm thrilled I got an allocation but I got it because the enthusiasts at Ford wanted these new GT's in the hands and garages of genuine enthusiasts instead of speculators. All the best.

Chip

Roc Spo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 7, 2006
I'm also a sad member of this group - original owner, but not selected.
I think the fact that I only have 12,000 miles on the car hurt my chances.
I take the car out more than 40 times per year average, but am relatively close to lots of car shows, cars & coffee meets,
and even track days, so I don't accumulate lots of miles.
I guess I should have driven from Maryland to Las Vegas for the Forum Event, rather than putting the car in a transporter.

Pelle51

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 13, 2007
Louisiana
Count me in this number, not bitter, happy for those that got awarded one. Hope to get a ride one day!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I think the fact that I only have 12,000 miles on the car hurt my chances.

So close! Minimum mileage was 13k! Ouch!

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
So close! Minimum mileage was 13k! Ouch!

Good one!
I too am an original 05' owner with a second GT and a long history of fast fords and track days, but as Chip points out the math just doesn't allow all with these kind of qualifications to be selected. I have been surprised though to see these forum guys with much higher qualifications than mine (higher mileage, more track and social events) who've also been deferred instead of at least wait listed. But as txviper reminds us in his "GT in perspective" thread, the reaction to being deferred should be no more than a brief and shallow disappointment when you take the 30,000 foot view of what we're bantering about here.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
<<If you are an original owner of a 2005/06 FGT and you still own the car today AND you applied and did NOT get an offer to order a car please chime in.

SGB>> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I'm another disappointed original owner

QUOTEwhy Ford would not have given us original owners 1st priority consideration when sending out acceptance letters (both times). QUOTE///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

It seems reasonable that original owners, who have supported the Ford GT program from the beginning, and who have remained loyal to the cars for 10+ years, should have been given highest priority. Maybe we will receive notifications soon that we are on priority wait list, phase 2 ? (we can hope anyway!)

Pelle51, nice selection of Mustangs to go with your FGT!

Last edited:

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I still have my 06, go to shows and track. Supplier to Ford for 36 years. Got deferred, thrilled for all those that were so lucky to get one!!

svtowner

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 2, 2006
Member of the "did not qualify" list unfortunately
Wife and I are original '06 owners, both of us work for Ford..better half more than 24 years w/ Ford PD.
Disappointed yes, happy for those that did get an allocation though. Congrats...Thanks for buying Ford! I think the NGT selection process was more level setting then having to interact with dealerships like on '05-06 vehicles.
The prospect of maybe a purchase opportunity surfacing in the coming years still keeps "the pursuit" part of the excitement going!

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
I am also in this group. Original owner, Multiple GT's, All Ford purpose built race collection. and worked for Ford over half my life 28 1/2 yrs.. Not bitter and very happy for those who were chosen and I have not given up. I just think the wrong person reviewed my application. Disappointed to not be wait listed and to see the 13% allocated never owned a Ford .

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
I am surprised to see longtime Ford employees and GT owners were turned down.

Joe