Original Car Covers

206Dino

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2007
It's my understanding that there were two different nylon car covers made by Ford that came with the car. The original was mostly black with a white Ford GT log made of some felt-like substance. The second was mostly silver with black Ford GT lettering. At some point in 2005, Ford decided that the black cover could damage the paint and made the switch. They sent the mostly silver car cover to the original buyers and asked that the black one be returned. The silver cover came with all 2006 cars.

Can anybody confirm this story and if so, provide date or VIN number that Ford made with switch. Also, was the storage bag for each of these covers the same (color, material, etc.)? Thanks.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
My car is an 05' #0448 and came with the silver. I have never seen a all black cover by Ford.

SVTPony

Oct 5, 2006
There is one of the all black covers on ebay right now!!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Car cover

My car is an 05' #0443 and was delivered with the black cover (silver stripes) in the storage area in the front of the car. The charger was missing as well. Ford has not acknowledged my requests for the proper cover or charger. :frown

To your point, I have heard the same story and am not using the black cover on the car.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Does anyone have an opinion on whether the silver cover is generally okay to use?

I've never used the cover, after hearing the general stories of the "included" car cover being unsuitable, but I did not realize there are two cover types.

It seems a waste not to use something that came with the car. Although I have a black car, and am being cautious too, so I never used the factory included cover to date.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
^^^^^^

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
When I bought my car it was delivered also with a tan car cover.... I assume this was standard... I guess I was wrong (but lucky).

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
I have silver with black stripes car cover. It doesn't scratch. Works great.:thumbsup

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
My car is an 05' #0443 and was delivered with the black cover (silver stripes) in the storage area in the front of the car. The charger was missing as well. Ford has not acknowledged my requests for the proper cover or charger. :frown

To your point, I have heard the same story and am not using the black cover on the car.

I think you might consider talking to your dealer, if you have not already. They should replace the items.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I have silver with black stripes car cover. It doesn't scratch. Works great.:thumbsup

Thanks! I have a 2006, and also the silver cover.

Last edited:

ED8192

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne Australia
Thanks! I have a 2006, and also the silver cover.
I have an 05 #0035 with black cover, use all the time and never scratched paint.:cheers

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
I got a black cover with my '06, never used it...I use a Duststop and love it...

Opinions on getting a replacement from a dealer welcome :thumbsup