OK--How long to warm tires to avoid a crackup?

anya

NGT,GT/GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
cold and clear (no rain)

That's it in WA now til April? Hopefully going to take the cars out this Sunday. I will have the kids read this thread. I believe we can be cautious. Jeff you need to give some sage advice after driving 50k +.:thumbsup

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
The tires themselves are the most important. Once a tire has too many heat cycles, it will not have grip. Does not matter how much tread is left. This of course only affects high performance tires, but that should be what is on this car. Of course, high performance tires are often called "summer" tires for a reason.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That's it in WA now til April? Hopefully going to take the cars out this Sunday. I will have the kids read this thread. I believe we can be cautious. Jeff you need to give some sage advice after driving 50k +.:thumbsup

As I suggested earlier, if you & your's drive your GT's at a Yugo's power/acceleration/cornering capability levels - you'd pbly be alright. But, since this Sunday the prediction is for C-O-L-D (as in sub freezing) temps, I think I'd 'bag' the whole idea regardless, Jim. :willy

(The thing I'd fear most driving a GT in cold weather is having to 'panic stop' for some reason 'at speed' on the freeway or some higher 'limit surface street. No telling how much 'doo-doo' one would find himself in under those circumstances. :cheers)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

Going to be really cold on Sunday. Suggest you and the kids take the Suby.

Sage enough? Take it easy on the right pedal or you'll end up in the parsley.

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
heat cycles and grip

MDT's point is absolutely crucial. I threw my GY F1's on the garbage heap with way more than 1/2 of their tread left. When parked they really didn't look that far from new!! But no grip!! Breaking the rear loose at 90 in 4th gear with no downshift (kids, don't try this at home) is a clue. As B. B. King would say 'The thrill is gone... it's gone away for good' so buy yourself a new set of shoes and save yourself some heartache.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
In anything less than 'warm' I drive mine with great caution... No electronic nanny aids....

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
bma,
do you now own a FGT? register it above, send me an email and I will change your status.
thanks,
daniel

DaveG1

FORD GT OWNER
Sep 22, 2008
cold tires and polar moments

So are we saying GY F1's are less than adequate performers unless they're warm?
Or the polar moment of the FGT is difficult to control?

By the way, has anyone yet explained to congress how much the country would save in energy costs if they'd simply repeal the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics?

I would clearly say that they are less adequate performers when cold (i've done my obligatory 270 starting out and turning a corner in 'cool' weather), but i also think that polar moment you are asking about is blessedly easy and delightful to control...if you are in a warmer environment.
I have tracked my car a couple of times and when i have overcooked a corner, if you have room, the car can be nicely caught and controlled. that's my experience anyway.