Normal driving gear/RPM?

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
I'm new here and still getting used to the car. I've put 800 miles on it so far in 2 months, but I never know what gear I should be in when just cruising. The car has so much power and torque it can pretty much do anything in any gear. What do you do when cruising at 70 mph on the interstate? I don't think I've even used 6th yet.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was an old 4 speed person and frequently forgot that the GT had 5th and 6th. Freeway is nice with 6th. But one thing: Be extremely cautious when downshifting from a high gear to say 3rd or 4th to pass without the RPM matching heel-toe blip. You're almost guaranteed to go into a trailing throttle/compression braking oversteer!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cadster and dreimer

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
2000-2500 rpm is the sweet spot for 80-85 mph. It also keeps the noise down in the cabin. At 85 mph you should get 21-23 mpg. Remember, don't punch it with the wheel turned.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I would think that going 70-80 MPH on the highway, is what 6th gear is made for.
Reduces wear and tear on components, and increases fuel mileage.
Depending on your exhaust choice, you might even be able to have a conversation in the cabin!
Enjoy,
Mark

Reactions: analogdesigner

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
It is amazing how even with 710 rWHP, my car gets around 20ish mpg at 80mph in 6th gear, for highway cruising.
On the track however, may get 4 mpg!
I just love this car!!!

Reactions: Cadster

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I'm generally in 3rd and 4th gear when on the freeways around Houston......I can't say I've found a comfortable cruising gear/RPM because of the exhaust resonance.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
2000-2500 rpm is the sweet spot for 80-85 mph. It also keeps the noise down in the cabin. At 85 mph you should get 21-23 mpg. Remember, don't punch it with the wheel turned.
Amen

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Thanks. I am being ultra careful since it is still new to me and learning its characteristics. I track my older 911 (1988) and very respectful of where my wheels are pointed when applying brakes/throttle. That respect has escalated to something closer to "terror" with the Ford GT due to the HP and throttle response. It's also one of the reasons I am trying to get in lot of seat time so I can feel more comfortable. At least that's the excuse I tell my wife when I say "I'm going to take the Ford GT out" - even though I really have no where I need to go. :)

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Careful in the GT. And put on some fresh Bridgestones.
3rd and 4th gear r your friend