No vin#s on mats?

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Hi guys,Took advice an ordered lioyd mats,i wanted GT 404 they said they could not do that,so how about just 404,they said cant do that.Didnt i here
some of you put your vin#s on yours. Or was it a diffent co.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
They cannot print anything that Ford has copyrighted. It is definitely a Ford thing. They had no problem with "F430" or "Viper" on two other covers I had made. Evidently the FoMoCo lawyers have been on them.

sandiegored

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2006
GFORCE said:
Hi guys,Took advice an ordered lioyd mats,i wanted GT 404 they said they could not do that,so how about just 404,they said cant do that.Didnt i here
some of you put your vin#s on yours. Or was it a diffent co.

I was able to put the VIN# on. Could not use "GT" though.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I got mine last week. #1369 Yeahhh baby!!!!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
bull shit...GT is NOT copyrightable...end of story...GT is used currrently on about a thousand diferent things..your VIN# IS ALSO not copyrightable..it is is FEDERAL designated number/letter combination that is used to distingiush cars and therfore NOT COPYRIGHT PROTECTED...using FORD in combination with these is obviously protected but as an example you should be able to have them print...'BILL'S GT' with no problem

sandiegored

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2006
I agree with you Lemansz but the folks at Autoanything said Lloyd would not do it. Pushed them on it but they would not budge. Received the mats today and they are very nice and fit well.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
LEMANSZ said:
bull shit...GT is NOT copyrightable...end of story...GT is used currrently on about a thousand diferent things..your VIN# IS ALSO not copyrightable..it is is FEDERAL designated number/letter combination that is used to distingiush cars and therfore NOT COPYRIGHT PROTECTED...using FORD in combination with these is obviously protected but as an example you should be able to have them print...'BILL'S GT' with no problem

Well, yes and no. GT by itself probably not, but the conjoined GT that Ford used probably is. I would imagine that somebody doing mats is just not interested in a battle over what they can and can't do. To pay for the attorney they would need to sell a hell of a lot of mats :willy

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Did some trademark looking.

See this post.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15419#post15419

Ford GT is a trademark. While G T would probably not be and ford as a word probably not (ford is a narrow spot in a river) the combination with Ford (or the Ford logo) and the GT conjoined (which technically is an probably an image and not letters) could be trademarked.

The trademark applications from Ford state "NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "GT" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN"

I went through some of this when I trademarked an image including an eagle. Eagles are everywhere, but in the combination I used mine becomes distinct so no one can use it because I "own" it, just like Ford GT is owned.

Last edited:

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
agreed...that is what I stated....the mat guys are being scared off by Ford...just like GTO AND GT as long as not in conjuction with FORD, FERRARI or PONTIAC...IT'S GOOD TO GO....